Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-22-2013, 2:54 PM

2A isnt about hunting!
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 02-22-2013, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
One positive step we can take is calling Darrell Steinberg's office and your Representative's office and encourage them to make an exemption list of "legitimate hunting rifles". Senator Steinberg is the senator in my district and his office said this is something in consideration. Suggest Feinstein's exemption list as a starting point.

None of us want to see a semi-auto ban but if you enjoy hunting (and I do very much) then you'll call or write to protect hunting rifles such as the Browning BAR long/short trac, the Benelli R-1, the Ruger 10/22, other rifles we all know are NOT "Assault Rifles"!
F*ck off, the bill is perfect the way it's written now.
Old 02-22-2013, 2:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

While I like hunting with frontloaders, I also think hunting with any bolt, lever, pump, break open, rolling block, falling block, semi auto, etc. rifle is legitimate. The premise of this thread scares the crap out of me. Sorry Moonshine, if I want to hunt with my 1919A6 and a 250 round belt, I don't see a problem with it as long as I only take ethical shots. The appearance of the bullet delivery system isn't a big deal as long as the bullet hits it's intended target and makes a clean and ethical kill.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 02-22-2013, 2:56 PM

Your bolt action sniper style rifle is next.

You want to ban military STYLE rifles and think they won't come after ACTUAL
military rifles?

My 03 "hunting rifle" has the ordnance bomb still on the barrel.
Old 02-22-2013, 2:57 PM

Totally disagree with this idea.
Old 02-22-2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
The 2A is not about hunting. Accepting a compromise to "excluse legitimate hunting rifles" would be to concede the 2A only protects hunting.

No more compromises, no more concessions, no more nothing. It's line in the sand time. Cross it and it's time to get an "in your face" reminder about just exactly what the 2A was intended for.
^^
This!
Old 02-22-2013, 2:58 PM

Your bolt actions are next. NOT ONE INCH!
Old 02-22-2013, 2:59 PM

All of my firearms in all of my calibers are legitimate hunting arms

CGF, SAF, GOA, NRA-ILA
www.firearmspolicy.org/the-issues/
Old 02-22-2013, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
One positive step we can take is calling Darrell Steinberg's office and your Representative's office and encourage them to make an exemption list of "legitimate hunting rifles". Senator Steinberg is the senator in my district and his office said this is something in consideration. Suggest Feinstein's exemption list as a starting point.

None of us want to see a semi-auto ban but if you enjoy hunting (and I do very much) then you'll call or write to protect hunting rifles such as the Browning BAR long/short trac, the Benelli R-1, the Ruger 10/22, other rifles we all know are NOT "Assault Rifles"!
There are NO assault rifles legally in the hands of ordinary civilians in CA NOW!
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 02-22-2013, 3:06 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I don't hunt nor do I own a semi-automatic rifle. But I would never allow either to be banned or regulated by a government who attempts to take away an American's right to bar arms...

Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 .45 ACP
Česká Zbrojovka CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
Heckler & Koch VP9 9mm
Kimber 1911 "Raptor II" .45 ACP
Remington 870 Tactical Express 12gauge
Sig Sauer P226 MK25 Navy 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911 "MC Operator" .45 ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Old 02-22-2013, 3:08 PM

You're naive if you believe they won't come for this at one point. Looks pretty evil to me:

Oh an who needs .280 British, .308, 30-06, .338, to shoot rabbits? I heard you can shoot down planes with that stuff!
Old 02-22-2013, 3:11 PM

My AR-15 is a legitimate hunting rifle.

It's people like you who made the Ban in the UK and other places possible.

Quote:
First they came for the machine guns, and I didn’t speak up because I had no machine guns.
Then they came for the “assault weapons,” and I didn't speak up because I had no assault weapons.
Then they came for the rifles, and I didn't speak up because I had no rifles.
Then they came for the handguns, and I didn't speak up because I had no handguns.
Finally, they came for my double-barreled shotgun, and I only managed to kill two of them.
(Before they mowed me down with their machine guns, assault weapons, rifles and handguns)
(while I was trying to reload).
Old 02-22-2013, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopafly View Post
It was the exemptions made for firearms used in cowboy action shooting that got the original "safe handgun" roster passed.
^^^ ALWAYS remember this.

Also remember that the requirement for getting on the roster changed at a *later time* to include LCI, magazine disconnect and microstamping. This precludes, e.g., Gen 4 Glocks and XDm-s from ever getting on the roster.

Quote:

2A is not about hunting! F YOU!

AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If this idea gets incorporated into the next rewrite, we'll know where it came from

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:17 PM

OMG sometimes I swear you guys get too fired up. You do know I have plenty of stuff I'm going to have to register and I reject this bill completely. However, we all know this garbage is going to pass and at least we could get some stuff exempted like we did in 1999 with .22s.

Seriously, can one recommendation happen here without it turning into a ruckus? Nobody want to register anything and it sucks period but getting hunting rifles exempted makes it suck not as bad because once a hunting rifle is an "assault rifle" you can't easily hunt with it.

Sigh... Forget I said anything!
Old 02-22-2013, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsandoc40 View Post
I don't hunt nor do I own a semi-automatic rifle. But I would never allow either to be banned or regulated by a government who attempts to take away an American's right to bar arms...
Bar? Freudian slip?

I do hunt and I do own semi autos. I don’t have any AR’s or AK’s, I can’t stand the damn things, but for different reasons. But we all must fight as hard as we can for all of them. It is not about hunting. But we all need to take this opportunity to look at our own prejudices and clean up our act, or the antis will surly continue to be successful at dividing us. I loathe the sentiment expressed in the OP, but I also loathe the attitude most of the denizens of this forum exhibited when the hound hunters needed help.

Like Ben Franklin said; “We must all hang together, or we will most certainly hang separately!”
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)

Last edited by Meplat; 02-22-2013 at 3:44 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 3:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Too fired up? Are you kidding me?
Old 02-22-2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
OMG sometimes I swear you guys get too fired up. You do know I have plenty of stuff I'm going to have to register and I reject this bill completely. However, we all know this garbage is going to pass and at least we could get some stuff exempted like we did in 1999 with .22s.

Seriously, can one recommendation happen here without it turning into a ruckus? Nobody want to register anything and it sucks period but getting hunting rifles exempted makes it suck not as bad because once a hunting rifle is an "assault rifle" you can't easily hunt with it.

Nothing personal but what you are asking for is just completely wrong-headed.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:21 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:

I think the reason why everyone are against what you said is the fact that... Once you allow "THEM" to take away one type of firearm. They will go after all firearms.

Compromising on anything. Or Choosing to fight for just one type of firearm gives "THEM" the initiative.

Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 .45 ACP
Česká Zbrojovka CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
Heckler & Koch VP9 9mm
Kimber 1911 "Raptor II" .45 ACP
Remington 870 Tactical Express 12gauge
Sig Sauer P226 MK25 Navy 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911 "MC Operator" .45 ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Old 02-22-2013, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Seriously, can one recommendation happen here without it turning into a ruckus?
The problem is that your suggestion is playing right into their hand. That's exactly what they want you to do.

Most here understand the sentiment of "let's get at least...," but in reality it would cause much more damage in both short and long run. It's the "unintended consequences" of such a semi-surrender that can cost us dearly in the future.

In today's climate, it's especially important to stick together and get to the point where we take all these bans off the table once and for all. We might/should get that on magazine capacity from the silly NY law. With the number of these "ban semi auto rifle" types of proposed laws, many will have massive loopholes that can give us an opening to, once and for all, get a ruling that "cosmetic features cannot be banned."
Old 02-22-2013, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I have a bunch of hunting rifles that will likely be exempt. It doesn't mean I intend to give even an inch. And even if exempt, I don't intend to register them for some future control scheme.

The battle lines have been drawn. Feel free to surrender before hostilities start if you want. There can be no appeasement in this case.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:

You still don't get it. Seriously, f*ck you.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:25 PM

Quote:
OMG...

Sigh... STILL does not get it...
Old 02-22-2013, 3:25 PM

This is what happened in the UK and after all the "assault rifles" were all gone they went after the hunting rifles and shotguns.
Just look up England's gun ban on YouTube.
All the people who thought they could keep there duck guns were so very sad! I bet they wished they had kept them in spite of the law!
Think about it and stand with the rest of us future felons!
Old 02-22-2013, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Maybe you should stop and listen to what you are saying...cause you don't reject this bill completely, you're willing to live with it if you can get some of what you want off the list.
Mark 14:51 - 52

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081
The more I am on CalGuns the more I see why government keeps certain people from owning firearms.
[/size]

Last edited by bill_k_lopez; 02-22-2013 at 3:29 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 3:27 PM

Quote:

All of the rifles you listed are assault rifles.

Any rifle that is not capable of assaulting people is not an "arm", as protected by the bill of rights.

This is not my opinion. This is fact.

There is no privilege to keep and bear arms.

Arms are for killing people. All other uses of an arm are illegitimate uses.

Know your rights. When stopped by police and not doing anything wrong, tell them you don't consent to searches. They are allowed to lie to you, but you're not allowed to lie to them. Just say nothing.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:28 PM

OK, instead of making this a flame war as obviously what I said appears to be offensive: educate me.

Obviously I don't get it, please spell things out so I get it. Instead of telling other gun owners to "F*** Off" and reducing your numbers why not educate them.

Last edited by Moonshine; 02-22-2013 at 3:38 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Are we forgetting the Munich Agreement between Hilter and Chamberlain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Germany was allowed to complete its occupation of the Sudetenland and an international commission would consider other disputed areas. Czechoslovakia was told that if it did not submit, it would stand alone. At Chamberlain's request, Hitler signed a peace treaty between the United Kingdom and Germany.
My recollection is a little hazy after that. Could someone please tell me what happened next?
Old 02-22-2013, 3:39 PM

Mr Moonshine, say everyone gets behind you and your hunting rifles are taken off the ban list, do you really think they will stop there? The next thing they will say is that the 5.56 is not that powerful and they need to ban all the higher power rifles to save the children from snipers. I really think we should support keeping everything we have now any way we can. This is not about anything other than a total ban even if it takes several years to get them. They know this and it is what they will do.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
OK, instead of making this a flame war as obviously what I said appears to be offensive: educate me.

Obviously I don't get it, please spell things out so I get it. Instead of telling other gun owners to "F*** Off" and reducing your numbers why not educate them.
I'll let Winston do the talking...

“An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.”
― Winston Churchill

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)
Old 02-22-2013, 3:50 PM

Repeal it ALL! Darrel (Douche Canoe) Steinburg can cram it.

That idiot makes me want to vomit. Little lap dog puke.

Thomas Jefferson.

Last edited by glocksmith; 02-22-2013 at 3:53 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

My suggestion would be to go back to the Brady Campaign boards, you will get a far more positive reception.

AR-15s are "legitimate hunting rifles", the only hunting I have ever done was removing pests like squirrles from peoples property, and for that I used either a bolt action .17hmr or my AR.

All your idea is going to do is make it easier to pass, then later they will come back and take away what was exempted before.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Old 02-22-2013, 3:51 PM

After they successfully banned AR, they will BAN Bolt Action Rifle that are more powerful ammo than 5.56 and can kill anyone with ONLY ONE SHOT at a DISTANCE and the police wont know where that person is shooting from... SNIPER looking Rifle will be next to ban... Goodbye all bolt action rifles, that is NOT off hunting but more MILITARY SNIPING

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-22-2013, 3:52 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Summary of opposing argument: this is the 'slippery slope'. It is unwise to cede to the government the power to ban 'some' guns (acknowledging we have already slipped partway down the slope with the Roster and the existing AWB).

Saving 'hunting guns', for now, just slides further down the slope.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-22-2013, 3:53 PM
Banned

Moonshine,

I have bolt guns too. So what? I wont hint to any lawmaker what guns I'd like to see exepted. I have others that wont be... What would I care if I can keep some, and not others?

What you are asking everyone, is to **help you** and a small percentage of gun owners (hunters in Ca) get off the hook scott free. At which time, you all sit back and not care at all, since you got no dog in this fight.....

While what is needed, is **ALL OF US** to stand together and say F^%# NO! Not one inch!!!!!

And... people have already stated thats how the safe gun list came about in the first place.... "Congradulations, you got to keep your cowboy six shooters... and now they will decide what else you might be able to own...."

We do not want a repeat of history. Thats it. Thats the 'educational lesson' you seem to ignore.

And then of course... as mentioned long ago in the thread, the more blatant the ban is, the more people that are affected, the better (long term for injunction and court).

All you're doing is rehashing this sentimate of "I got mine" yall can fend for yourselves, turned into "help me keep mine" and I dont care about your black rifles getting banned... Which has divided us far too many times before.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:54 PM

Well I guess I sorta get it... Just go all or nothing and double down. Is this the plan? We all gotta stick together on this because we're all getting screwed if just about any of this passes... Even the harassing crap like 5 cent a bullet tax.

And speaking of black rifles this is time #2 for me to get screwed on those... This time I'm not selling or moving out of state and I'm REALLY mad about the prospect of my hi caps being banned that I spent a hefty chunk of change on in the 1990s!!!

Last edited by Moonshine; 02-22-2013 at 3:56 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 3:55 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

WTF, OP? You want to play right into the antis' hands?
Old 02-22-2013, 4:00 PM

Making such suggestions is the work of the enemy, it makes the bill more likely to pass, and less likely to be challenged. All or nothing. When hunters get bit in the ***, that can be use as fodder for our side later.