Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 02-11-2013, 4:08 PM

Cool Sacramento, Free shooting spots and other places.

Hello fellow sacramento gun owners, today I bought a BLM map and I've been studying areas to go shooting. To my shock most of the land is privately owned or so it seems? The map does not include federal land and parks just state. The only yellow spots on the map are out past Folsom. So save yourselves the four bucks and wasted gas money and don't buy a map (Unless you really need a map of sac or live near Folsom).

I have been to spenceville, indoor ranges like the gun range on watt ave and gun room, I have been to ice house, sac valley, rancho shooting center, lincoln rifle range and a host of other places. I really want to find these little secret spots in sac you all keep talking about.

I always bring a rake and bucket to collect brass, I know the laws, I never leave trash and I respect nature. If you could give me an idea on where some of these "secret spots" are It would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully you fellow shooters are willing to help out a fellow shooter.

If you want to know my reasons for finding these spots its so I can train. At public ranges I can't draw my weapon, practice tactics, fast reloads and set up my portable obstacles.

If you do have a spot send me GPS location through google maps.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 AM

I found a spot I think I can go shooting on a "rocky mountain" by campfar west.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

i go out to Forrest Hill, find a Squirrel Circus Forrest Service road, and look for a wide spot.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
i go out to Forrest Hill, find a Squirrel Circus Forrest Service road, and look for a wide spot.
Pm me the GPS coordinates.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Found another spot by a bushy mountain. Only way to access it is to wade though the creek to avoid private property.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Whatever you do don't go to El Dorado National forest. If Officer Marcus can't get you for something involving firearms he'll inspect/search your vehicle without consent to cite for "obstructed license plate due to debris" or "AWD on 4WD only road". I've seen it done dozens of times(citations along those lines". A guy once put his handgun in its case and shut the lid on his tailgate so rain wouldn't get in only to have Marcus cite him for a "concealed weapon in vehicle" while he was setting up targets. IMHO DON'T GO THERE.

On a lighter note, I would recommend going to Oroville. There is a nice free range there and you can do anything you want as long as it's safe. I'm in the Army and have taken my body armor out there to practice shooting drills. I've had a couple other shooters ask what I was doing and I said I was military and practicing shooting for the CATIII(pretty tough shooting drill) and showed them my mil ID. As long as you're not being stupid i.e. drinking, unsafe range practices, you're safe. I even did turn and shoot and move and shoot drills without issue.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:26 AM

hey captain slav, i was just out there(spenceville) the other day. lots of pistol folks, flagging everybody,
do you mind if i get the directions to the places you were talking about, wading throught the river, bushy mountain and all, im more of a long distance shooter and am looking for something beyond 100 yds.

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Some LGS will let you in on locations they go to also.
Old 02-15-2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911NeverForget View Post
Whatever you do don't go to El Dorado National forest. If Officer Marcus can't get you for something involving firearms he'll inspect/search your vehicle without consent to cite for "obstructed license plate due to debris" or "AWD on 4WD only road". I've seen it done dozens of times(citations along those lines". A guy once put his handgun in its case and shut the lid on his tailgate so rain wouldn't get in only to have Marcus cite him for a "concealed weapon in vehicle" while he was setting up targets. IMHO DON'T GO THERE.

On a lighter note, I would recommend going to Oroville. There is a nice free range there and you can do anything you want as long as it's safe. I'm in the Army and have taken my body armor out there to practice shooting drills. I've had a couple other shooters ask what I was doing and I said I was military and practicing shooting for the CATIII(pretty tough shooting drill) and showed them my mil ID. As long as you're not being stupid i.e. drinking, unsafe range practices, you're safe. I even did turn and shoot and move and shoot drills without issue.
He is a real !@#E$R%^. I believe he was recently reassigned to the Morman Imigrant Trail area, and believe it was for a reason......Typical ENF & county BS!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
He is a real !@#E$R%^. I believe he was recently reassigned to the Morman Imigrant Trail area, and believe it was for a reason......Typical ENF & county BS!
Hmmm... Is he Forest Service or Sheriff's Dept? If Forest Service, did he just get reassigned from the Rubicon Trail/Loon Lake/Icehouse Rd. Area? If so this is the same guy that is infamous at the Rubicon for messing with people out 4wheeling and giving bogus tickets, many of which he loses in court but a hassel none the less... there are pages upon pages of people complaining about this guy over in a 4wheeling forum I also visit.

I just purchased a place in the area and was looking for places to go target shooting nearby and was going to go exploring near the Mormon Emigrant Trail being that it's 5mins from my place. I was pretty hopefull about going and finding a spot off of the Mormon Emigrant Trail but if this is the same guy then I won't even bother based on his reputation... I usually go shooting with the wife, kids, brother-in-law and his family and don't want to get harassed or hassled while out with the family. Please let me know.

Also if there are any places you guys recommend in the area that's safe and relaxed for target shooting with the family please PM me, we clean up after any target practice and always pack up our brass for reloading.

Thanks again,
Fred R.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
Some LGS will let you in on locations they go to also.
It would be nice to get a Private message then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthetrojan View Post
hey captain slav, i was just out there(spenceville) the other day. lots of pistol folks, flagging everybody,
do you mind if i get the directions to the places you were talking about, wading throught the river, bushy mountain and all, im more of a long distance shooter and am looking for something beyond 100 yds.
Well I checked out those spots and they are too close to the private property owners. Unless I get permission from everyone around the spot I don't think I would be shooting there. I will PM you if I find any other spots.

Quote:
Sounds good to me! I will have to check Oroville out.
Old 02-16-2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlav View Post

Well I checked out those spots and they are too close to the private property owners. Unless I get permission from everyone around the spot I don't think I would be shooting there. I will PM you if I find any other spots.
thanks a bunch sir

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
- Unknown USMC Lieutenant
Old 02-17-2013, 5:17 PM

Default ENF LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
he could be anywhere on the forest. he is assigned to the pacific district , but does work often in the Placerville district. Georgetown and Amador districts are pretty safe to shoot in.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Good luck with finding a place to shoot anywhere near Sacramento. I have been searching and unless you own private land or know someone, you're probably going to be out of luck. When the weather gets nice, I plan on going out toward Yuba Gap area off of hwy 80. National forest and some open areas. Too bad target practice is only a summer sport unless you like ranges.