Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 01-26-2013, 8:57 PM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Default 80% 10/22 receiver

Does anyone have experience and /or success completing these? I need some help!! Local to Long Beach
Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

I've built a couple.
There are a couple good threads over at WeaponsGuild.com

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/for...5&p=1902#p1885

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 01-27-2013, 6:56 AM

Very nice Vader...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Looks great! Unfortunately I have none of the machinery required. Looking for someone I can rent the equipment from and get some help going through the process
Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbasol View Post
Looks great! Unfortunately I have none of the machinery required. Looking for someone I can rent the equipment from and get some help going through the process
why is everyone wanting to buy "80%" and wanting to just push a button ?

all you need is a drill press and some initiative
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

I'm actually working on a WMR 10/22. Get a quality drill press or go to a machine shop with a Mill and request to drill the hole for the barrel which is the most critical.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Completed one on a drill press. Good to go.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Where are you guys buying your 80% receivers? Anyone know of a source for 0% blanks?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-27-2013, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Does anyone have experience and /or success completing these? I need some help!! Local to Long Beach
Do you have a jig? It makes life soooooooooo much easier.
Old 01-27-2013, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Woodpecker View Post
Where are you guys buying your 80% receivers? Anyone know of a source for 0% blanks?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
80% 10/22 yes, but 80% AR15 lowers........ all gone.

google 80% receivers

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-...receivers.html

zero% like a block of aluminum? You must have some fancy CNC or mill machine in your garage?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I can help.
I have done a couple 10-22's from 80's.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 02-16-2013, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSpade View Post
I've built a couple.
There are a couple good threads over at WeaponsGuild.com

you need 50 post over there just to look at all the fourms
/////////////
First. Please understand that this site provides levels of "Access" to boards based on the "Tier System" listed below.
The Tiers break down as follows:

Hibernating members/zero posts
(limited to General announcements, challenge builds, Vendors Market, & the Everything else boards)

newbie Member 1-4 posts
(access to all but 4 boards on the site. On their 5th post they gain access to the "Drafting Table" board)

Junior Guild Member 5-9 posts
(access to all but 3 boards on the site. On their 10th post they gain access to the "Tool Box" board)

Guild Member 10-20 posts
(access to all but 2 boards on the site. On their 21st post they gain access to the Members Market Place)

Guild Family Member 21+ posts
(access to all but 1 board. On their 50th post they gain access to the "Pattern Room".)

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages & images. Images you post on this site may be re hosted by the staff for the speed of access & safe keeping here on the site. By posting an image on WeaponsGuild, you are providing permission for the staff to re host your images if they deem it necessary. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason. We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.
Old 02-18-2013, 8:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel-tec-innovations View Post
I'm actually working on a WMR 10/22. Get a quality drill press or go to a machine shop with a Mill and request to drill the hole for the barrel which is the most critical.
Are you using the Tactical Machining 80% for this?
Old 02-19-2013, 4:37 PM

I used the Tactical Machining 80% for mine and was quite happy. Here is some further info I put together.

The TM jig is nice in that it fully surrounds the receiver and locks it in place with the end pieces. Just do not use the end piece to square up on, use the sides. The steps between the Razor and the TM have got to be close as there are not that many of them for the 10/22 80%.

There is a write up here. You have to sign up for the forum to read it, but it is easy and no real personal info required. Is well worth looking around anyway to see what other folks are doing, and in my case, admire their skill.

The TM Forum has a thread here. And here. Look around the rest of the forum as it is informative as well.

CalGuns Member Woodey put on a build party and the thread is here. On page 3, DEF23 posted some good info. They debate the good and bad of the two different brands as well, so it's a good read and may help you decide on the Razor vs TM. I choose TM because I have some of their AR lowers and they are very clean compared to a couple of other brands 80% lowers I have seen plus the CalGuns discount. Either way you go, it will work.

The following is the list of steps I put together for myself (so I don't screw something up) for my TM build. There are minor things I left out about positioning and squaring, etc., but the main steps are all represented (or over represented with the multiple drill passes). The 10/22 receiver only requires a drill press, no milling is required. Others may complete the receiver differently and some steps may be easier in a different order on different equipment. I also did the drilling in multiple steps and think it produced better centered holes, but I'm sure one could do it with just the correct size bits in one pass without reamers. The TM jig has slightly oversized bushings and I found by using the tightest fitting bit without removing any of the bushing dimpling the center, and then coming back through with a undersized bit in the dimple and then reaming to spec products prefect holes for me. Always, always, always square and confirm square before each operation and on each movement of the jig.

The receiver is very tight in the TM jig normally and I had to use grease and a rubber mallet to put the receiver in the the jig. I tried hand fitting it multiple times and then called TM to confirm things were right, they gave me the grease or soap and rubber mallet solution. It is nice and tight that way.

10/22 80% Steps
1. Any engraving must be done before starting if you do not wait for it at engravers or engraver needs FFL once the receiver is started.
2. Square up vice and jig before starting
3. Drill first side bolt buffer with “pilot point” ¼” bit to create divot for next drill
4. Drill with letter “B” bit through into fire control pocket
5. Ream ¼” bolt buffer hole
6. Drill trigger group 3/16” holes to create centered divot
7. Drill trigger group holes with #15 bit through into fire control pocket
8. Ream 3/16” trigger group holes
9. Flip to other side
10. Repeat steps 1-6 on other side
11. Drill stock screw hole with 3/16” to create center divot
12. Drill stock screw hole with #16 through
13. Measure fire control pocket and expand with end mill if needed evenly on both sides
14. Raise Head of mill
15. Drill ¼” rear cleaning hole
16. Drill ¼” V-block holes .75” deep with “pilot point” ¼” bit
17. Finish drilling v-block holes with #16 all the way through
Confirm jig is squared before starting step 18!!!!!!!
18. Start barrel hole with 11/16” to create centered divot
19. Drill through barrel hole with 43/64” bit
20. Ream barrel hole to 11/16”
21. Drill recoil spring guide hole 3/32” .1 deep
22. Insert 4 legged magazine hole jig into receiver with three pin side in barrel hole.
23. Drill magazine retainer hole 5/16” .140” deep
24. Tap v-block and stock retainer holes with #12-24 tap (3 holes)
25. Finish as desired
26. Marvel in accomplishment

Again the most important thing is too make sure the barrel hole is absolutely straight with the receiver.

TM was changing it's jig relative to the barrel hole and stock screw, so if you get a newer jig, those steps require their own ordered procedure, but should produce a better end result.

Hope this helps.

Criss
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM

Is there anyone in the Antelope Valley or LA/OC/San Berdoo area with the tooling and Jig that could supervise me while I finish my TM 80% 10/22?

WTB: .223 Saiga Bolt Head Assembly
Old 03-13-2013, 1:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronWrangler View Post
Is there anyone in the Antelope Valley or LA/OC/San Berdoo area with the tooling and Jig that could supervise me while I finish my TM 80% 10/22?
See post #12.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 03-13-2013, 9:46 AM

Pictures are worth a 1000 words

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=468569
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronWrangler View Post
Drop Joe308 a line. He's in Lancaster. Don't know if he has the jig for a 10/22. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=12824
Old 03-13-2013, 9:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can you build this as a take down?
Old 04-04-2013, 8:40 PM

I've emailed Randall.

WTB: .223 Saiga Bolt Head Assembly