Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 AM
CGSSA Associate

Default Why its important to teach about guns not hide them

I dont have children but I know many family members who own guns but hide them from their children. First in my opinion kids are naturally curious and WILL FIND THE GUN. You always hear the horror stories about how some 10 year old found daddy or mommys gun and accidentally shot his friend. So its important to teach not only your kids but any kid willing to listen the importance of safe gun handling.

Here is a story about a 12-year old girl protecting herself.

http://www.news9.com/story/19858704/...-home-invasion

All I can say is good for you little girl! Im sorry you will always have those horrible memories.
Old 02-18-2013, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

I agree, firearm education is the key.. even in schools I think they should teach about them .. so they aren't so taboo and mysterious. Now with that said.. until my kids are old enough.. hidden and locked..
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 02-18-2013, 4:40 PM

I am ALL for this. If a gun was taught from infancy to be seen as a tool like a hammer or table saw an automobile or a kitchen knife (all of which can cause death or great bodily injury), I believe there wouldn't be this big mystery surrounding them and many, many kids would tell each other "Your nuts, leave that gun alone!"

But, nooooooooooooooo, the schools will teach just about anything else but personal responsibility. Free condoms in high school? Sure. Foreign religions that advocate killing infidels? Teach away. Gun safety? Oh no, we absolutely cannot advocate that in our schools..........
Old 02-18-2013, 4:47 PM

Could not agree with you more on this topic. However I have "people I know" that choose to hide them from the world, keep them under a rock. I tried to explain about safe sex and the dangers of AIDS as a correlation but to quote Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as Stupid does".
Old 02-18-2013, 6:33 PM

Both boys are fully aware and trained and shoot with us frequently(the 14yr old and the 23yr old who is off to Basic in a week) have their own guns and compound bows. Education is the key. Before anyone jumps in a calls me a bad parent, let me give you one more reason I am a bad parent. Before my sons became(well one so far) of drinking age, we allowed them wine, champagne or beer at home occasionally to demystify that too. Like when my husband comes up with a new homebrew, we let our boys try it. ooooohh Bad mom! Shush!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM

My wife and I will regularly have discussions about "when will our boys are old enough for me to teach them about guns." I prefer a younger age and appropriate caliber (air rifle, .22lr), she would rather see an older age. I convinced her to let me buy our oldest (4 yr old) a toy bow and arrow set (suction cups) to teach him some basics and safety. He really enjoys it and doesn't seem to be too bad of a shot. I'm hoping that in a few years I'll be able to get him an air rifle or bb gun and teach him more.
He already knows the ground rules: No pointing at people or the dog, only targets. He can pretend to hunt, but he can't point at real people or the dog. If he doesn't follow the rules, his toy gun or bow and arrow gets taken away for the day.
All my guns are locked up in the safe, but when I take them out to clean them next time, I think I'll let him watch and perhaps even handle one. I'll let him know that he is to only handle them when I am around. I agree that demystifying the guns at an early age is important.