Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-26-2012, 1:31 PM
Banned

Default IP address questions

How can I tell where an email is originating from based on IP address?

I think my ex's mom is sending me emails from the ex's account. If there a way to trace the IP back to the originating address it was sent from?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012, 1:34 PM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You will need to look at the SMTP headers in the email itself to determine point of origin, which SMTP servers it passed through, etc. Without the headers, there's not much you can do.

Once you have determined the point of origin, whether by IP address or by FQDN, you can look it up online via ARIN to determine which network it belonged to. From there you could contact the network owner to determine which user the IP address was leased to at the time the email was sent. . . although they may require a court order / warrant to give you that information. . . . privacy laws and all that happy stuff.

Last edited by Dark Paladin; 06-26-2012 at 1:36 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 1:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What's the header info on the emails telling you? All internet email contains certain routing header information in it to assist you in tracing. Not all of it is perfect, but it is a start.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 06-26-2012, 1:40 PM
Banned

I have the two different IP addresses from the headers but am just curious as what physical address they were both sent from.
Old 06-26-2012, 1:41 PM

The email headers wont tell you what physical address they came from, it will tell you what servers it was sent from.
Old 06-26-2012, 1:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomeD View Post
The email headers wont tell you what physical address they came from, it will tell you what servers it was sent from.
is there a way to tell the area they were sent from?
Old 06-26-2012, 1:44 PM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango78 View Post
Sort of. Like I said earlier, plug the IP address into ARIN.

You can also try using this: http://geo-location.com/

Last edited by Dark Paladin; 06-26-2012 at 1:46 PM..
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomeD View Post
Depends on the server and the client. Some append the client IP address to the header log.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Banned

what is ARIN? Im not so good with computers.
Old 06-26-2012, 1:46 PM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango78 View Post
what is ARIN? Im not so good with computers.
Try this instead: http://geo-location.com/
Old 06-26-2012, 4:45 PM

depends heavily on what was used to send the email. If the subject in question was on gmail, then no you wont be able to pull an IP from the header. If they sent thru some different server using something like outlook, that's a different story. If they're sending you email from a cell phone or mobile device, the IP is going to do nothing for you.

Either way, what do you plan on doing with the IP address? You wont be able to get anything definitive without a court order.. Why not just block the damn emails?
Old 06-26-2012, 6:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45DAVID1 View Post
How can I tell where an email is originating from based on IP address?

I think my ex's mom is sending me emails from the ex's account. If there a way to trace the IP back to the originating address it was sent from?

Thanks!
You can do a whois lookup on an IP but at most that will reveal what region it is registered in. You cannot get anymore information short of having the police get a warrant for the ISPs logs. Beware that most webmail services hide the originating IP and will give the mail server as the originating IP.

Quote:
I have the two different IP addresses from the headers but am just curious as what physical address they were both sent from.
That is information you are not going to get.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Last edited by JDay; 06-26-2012 at 6:09 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 6:11 PM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Quote:
If you have the IP addresses just Google them or download Whois and run them through that. Both should give you information on internet service provider and probably the region of the country they are coming from. It isn't perfect but if the Ex is in one state and Mom is in anoother it should be obvious.
Old 06-26-2012, 6:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
If you have the IP addresses just Google them or download Whois and run them through that. Both should give you information on internet service provider and probably the region of the country they are coming from. It isn't perfect but if the Ex is in one state and Mom is in anoother it should be obvious.
I would take the geographic location associated with an IP block with a big grain of salt. I've had IP addresses that geo-locate back to NY.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
I would take the geographic location associated with an IP block with a big grain of salt. I've had IP addresses that geo-locate back to NY.
I've experienced the same exact thing. Bottom line is that you're not going to get anything important without going the legal route.
Old 06-27-2012, 4:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can download IPnetInfo (free) and once you have the IP address you want, that you obtained from the email header, enter it in the IpNetInfo program and it will resolve the issue of who and where they are originating from, complete with address and phone contact info.
Old 06-27-2012, 4:39 PM

Call the cyber police and tell them to backtrace it.
Old 06-28-2012, 1:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcaller6 View Post
You can download IPnetInfo (free) and once you have the IP address you want, that you obtained from the email header, enter it in the IpNetInfo program and it will resolve the issue of who and where they are originating from, complete with address and phone contact info.
That the ISP registered to that IP block. I guarantee the ISP is not going to give up subscriber information without a court order.

Old 06-28-2012, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
That the ISP registered to that IP block. I guarantee the ISP is not going to give up subscriber information without a court order.
They will if you work for the government.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autarchist View Post
They will if you work for the government.
No they won't. They will tell you to come back with a warrant.

Old 06-29-2012, 8:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin View Post
You will need to look at the SMTP headers in the email itself to determine point of origin, which SMTP servers it passed through, etc. Without the headers, there's not much you can do.

Once you have determined the point of origin, whether by IP address or by FQDN, you can look it up online via ARIN to determine which network it belonged to. From there you could contact the network owner to determine which user the IP address was leased to at the time the email was sent. . . although they may require a court order / warrant to give you that information. . . . privacy laws and all that happy stuff.
Dude. He obviously needs it in ENGLISH...

You need to view the raw e-mail and have a look at the headers. The headers are the lines of info that direct the mail. You can see all of the computers that passed it along usually. I can not go into too much more detail without seeing more BUT, ONCE there you will find the first or originating e-mail computer that sent it off and you can take that address and plug it into a network query. You can kinda tell that someone from calguns sent this one off.

Here is what a sample of the headers looks like:
Delivered-To: youraddress@yourisp.com
Received: by 10.216.155.72 with SMTP id i50csp78160wek;
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 1442 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.66.79.40 with SMTP id g8mr3449578pax.27.1341004721506;
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 1441 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <webmaster@calguns.net>
Received: from mail.geovario.com (mail.geovario.com. [216.218.212.137])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id qf1si10284591pbc.175.2012.06.29.14.18.40
(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 1441 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of webmaster@calguns.net designates 216.218.212.137 as permitted sender) client-ip=216.218.212.137;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of webmaster@calguns.net designates 216.218.212.137 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=webmaster@calguns.net
Received: (qmail 638 invoked by uid 399); 29 Jun 2012 1434 -0700
Received: from ssa145.geovario.com (HELO mail.geovario.com) (noreply@calguns.net@216.218.212.145)
by mail.geovario.com with ESMTPAM; 29 Jun 2012 1434 -0700
X-Originating-IP: 216.218.212.145
X-Sender: noreply@calguns.net
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 2134 +0000
To: ebayer@dslextreme.com
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
Return-Path: webmaster@calguns.net
Message-ID: <20120629211834.f8f2a6cce52a@www.calguns.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
Subject: New Private Message at Calguns.net

A network query can be found at this link:

http://sillydog.org/miscellaneous/networktool.php

Copy and paste the computer and then tell it to DO IT ALL.

Once you see what ISP this generated from you can send them e-mail or make a phone call but their lips will be sealed unless you have a warrant and unless there was a threat made, that is NOT gonna happen. The BEST you can do is try to get them to tell you who that user was but they will likely have a policy against just giving out information. That is what keeps us kinda hidden from a lot of folks out there.

Unless there is something serious nothing can be done except putting the sender into a spam/junk list. Good luck.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 06-29-2012 at 8:20 PM..
Old 06-29-2012, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

All of the above is correct, without a court order or really compelling legal reason, an isp won't be telling you who their client is that sent an email. Although it may not be that in depth to answer your question depending on the circumstances.

Does your ex live with her mother? Do they have the same ISP? Why does it even matter if it is your ex or her mom? I can't think of anything that either an ex or her mom could say that I would give 2 hoots about. If they have different ISPs than you can trace it back that far and determine the ISP. Short of that, and hoping that they didn't use a mobile device, good luck.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 07-02-2012, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Jeez, with all the grief your ex- has already caused you (based on past threads), and now her mom too?

Sounds like you need to hire a professional at this point, rather than worry about email headers. Maybe you can get a 2-fer discount?
Old 07-02-2012, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Hell I just started blocking my ex's e-mails and made a separate gmail account for her to yap to, and therefore only check it when I feel like it!

I only check it to see why she is sending child support late, or communication about when my kid is flying to see her...

Last edited by the86d; 07-02-2012 at 1:41 PM..
Old 07-02-2012, 7:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Jeez, with all the grief your ex- has already caused you (based on past threads), and now her mom too?

Sounds like you need to hire a professional at this point, rather than worry about email headers. Maybe you can get a 2-fer discount?
Or be better than them and just ignore it. It is not hard to block emails.

Old 02-14-2013, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
I agree with him.But,You don't need to download anything.
If you have the IP address then you can do Ip search from IP-Details.com .
By doing it you will get information like ISP Name,Location,Country,etc,.
If you need do to whois search Visit WhoisXY.com .It is free web-service ,you don't need to download anything.Just type the Ip address and do whois search.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP has watched too many procedural cop shows. An IP address has no correlation to any physical address from where it was sent. You can't plug in someone's IP address and find out "aha! she sent this from her mother's house!" The internet doesn't work that way.

*I realize this is an oversimplification but based on OP's follow up questions to posted instructions he clearly thinks he's going to get a street address. That isn't happening.*
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

just block the emails. all the info in the header can be spoofed so there is nothing to be gained from it.

so much drama on cal guns.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
OP has watched too many procedural cop shows. An IP address has no correlation to any physical address from where it was sent. You can't plug in someone's IP address and find out "aha! she sent this from her mother's house!" The internet doesn't work that way.

*I realize this is an oversimplification but based on OP's follow up questions to posted instructions he clearly thinks he's going to get a street address. That isn't happening.*
You actually can get pretty close, or at least tell the approximate provider location if you check the hidden headers:
http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

I used to keep track of someone's location by the IP of e-mail sent to me... of course if they have a HUGE provider that uses like a class C, it might be harder/less-accurate, and I don't think the DHCP scope they drop would be that centralized...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post

As private individuals, I agree that we do not possess the ability to do so.

However, LEA can and do execute search warrants on ISPs to obtain account holder information based on IP addresses. That is how you correlate IP addresses to physical addresses. How else are RIAA/MPAA filing lawsuits against alleged media pirates? The internet does indeed work that way, but we as private citizens simply do not have access to the tools and legal methods to actually do so.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You're all also assuming this was sent from a hard-wired desktop. Could also be a laptop either on a public wifi in Starbucks or an open network in some random neighborhood.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Ask for a restraining order! Doing your own Detective work will prove nothing if you need that information later to prove you were being harassed. Also, if they complain about you, and have proof that you are trying to track them down that could men that they could put a restraining order on you, and you know what that means to a gun owner.

Harassing emails coming from your ex's account, and what you stated in previous threads should be enough to get a restraining order. I was able to get a restraining order with much less.

BTW: An ISP will never give you the information you need to track someone down.

Romans 1:16 - 32

Last edited by vonderplatz; 02-14-2013 at 11:52 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin View Post
As private individuals, I agree that we do not possess the ability to do so.

However, LEA can and do execute search warrants on ISPs to obtain account holder information based on IP addresses. That is how you correlate IP addresses to physical addresses. How else are RIAA/MPAA filing lawsuits against alleged media pirates? The internet does indeed work that way, but we as private citizens simply do not have access to the tools and legal methods to actually do so.
RIAA/MPAA sends the copyright violation to the ISP. The ISP then forwards it to the enduser, but the ISP does not tell RIAA/MPAA who that individual is. To get that information they will still need a court order.

The email sent to the enduser contains is a link to to a website where they can pay a settlement fee. If they choose to pay the fee the RIAA does not pursue any further, but should they decide not to pay the RIAA can ask for a Court Order forcing the ISP to divulge who the IP address belongs to, but it is not very common for the process to make it that far.

Romans 1:16 - 32

Old 02-14-2013, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonderplatz View Post
RIAA/MPAA sends the copyright violation to the ISP. The ISP then forwards it to the enduser, but the ISP does not tell RIAA/MPAA who that individual is. To get that information they will still need a court order.

The email sent to the enduser contains is a link to to a website where they can pay a settlement fee. If they choose to pay the fee the RIAA does not pursue any further, but should they decide not to pay the RIAA can ask for a Court Order forcing the ISP to divulge who the IP address belongs to, but it is not very common for the process to make it that far.
We handle identification and remediation of DMCA violations for our campus internally under Safe Harbor. We receive the notice from the reporting agent and disable and punish in accordance to our policies.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 02-14-2013, 2:23 PM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonderplatz View Post

Yes, that is drilling down to the step by step process. I think there may have been some confusion because I was mixing the two (LEA and RIAA/MPAA tracing efforts. . . you can bet the court will approve warrants requested by LEAs in the name of public safety). My point is yes it is possible to link an IP address to a physical address, but the process is not something an ordinary citizen will have legal access to.
Old 02-14-2013, 2:32 PM
Bacon makes it better

It's 45David. He's long since banned and, if you believe the back story, killed himself out in the desert somewhere. I don't think he's worried about it anymore.
Old 02-14-2013, 4:51 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
It's 45David. He's long since banned and, if you believe the back story, killed himself out in the desert somewhere. I don't think he's worried about it anymore.
Um I hope the desert story isn't true....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516520
Old 02-14-2013, 7:12 PM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
Um I hope the desert story isn't true....
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=612303
Old 02-18-2013, 5:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Try this website to ID the area where IP from email headers originated: http://cqcounter.com/whois/

It is easy to use and pretty accurate!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx