Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-18-2013, 7:48 AM

Default Beretta 92FS to 96D?

Does anyone know if a 96D slide will work on a 92FS frame? What do all the letters mean after the 96 or 92? No help on the beretta site that i could find.
Old 02-18-2013, 7:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes it will fit. I have a 92D, 96D and a 92FS and I've interchanged all of them.

Will the 92 frame stand up to the recoil of the 96? Don't know. They look identical but that doesn't mean they are the same. I'd be more comfortable putting a 92 slide on a 96 frame. I know the repair kit is good for both models.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale
Old 02-18-2013, 8:29 AM

The frames are identical, I have a 92D centurion and an additional 96D centurion complete upper. The gun works just fine with either slide, over 10,000 rounds combined.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:19 AM

I've gone from 96 to 92 but not the other way around.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:27 AM

Quote:
What do all the letters mean after the 96 or 92?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92
Quote:
Operation

F Models
Also known as the 92SB-F, the model 92 F (adopted by the US Army as the M9 Pistol) has a double-action first trigger pull, followed by a single-action trigger pull for subsequent rounds. The "F" and "FS" models have a safety lever that also functions as a decocking lever.
G Models
The G models (designed for the French "Gendarmerie Nationale") were adopted by the French Military as PAMAS; they feature a manual decocking lever only instead of the safety-decocking lever of the 92 FS. When the decocking lever is released, it automatically returns to the ready to fire position. There is no manual safety.
DS Models
The DS models are "double action only" pistols: the hammer always follows the slide forward to come to rest in the double action position (the hammer never stays cocked). The hammer spur has been removed, and is flush with the rear of the slide. The manual safety lever on the slide provides the same function as it does on the 92 FS.
D Models
The D models are also "double action only" pistols. They are identical to the DS models but without the manual safety (the lever has also been eliminated).
Centurion Models
These pistols offer the frame (and same magazine capacity) of the basic 92 FS model and the reduced length of the Compact version. Special G Centurion, DS Centurion and D Centurion models are available in some countries.
Old 02-18-2013, 6:15 PM

Great! Thanks to all of you for the great info! From the info i've found here and around the web, it seems the 92 & 96 full frames are identical. The only thing that makes a 96 a 40cal is the slide & barrel. I'm assuming the slide is a little thicker to handle the extra pressure from the 40. I just bought a new 92FS and want to buy the 40 slide and barrel to use for personal protection and practice with the 9mm. I wanted to buy a 96 and then go down to the 92 slide & barrel for practice but it is difficult to find a 96 that is on the CA approved list that was also in my price range. Now i'm more comfortable spending the extra $$ knowing this will work for sure. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by rlove56; 02-18-2013 at 6:20 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 AM

FYI, if you have a 96 & you want to shoot 9mm you only have to swap the barrels & mags. It's 100% reliable. The extractor for 40 is different then it is for the 9mm & some will argue that it'll need to be swapped out but it doesn't. As a matter of fact, a Beretta will shoot fine without an extractor. The way the slide is designed causes the casing to be ejected without the need for an extractor.