Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 PM

I was really interested in joining chp, especially k9 since I enjoy dogs so much. But I cannot deal with any job who will not tolerate facial hair. I've had a goatee since it grew in jr high. Ita apart of who I am, and its not like I can take it on and off for work. Its gone for good. No mater how good of a job it could be, being who I am is more important.
Old 02-12-2013, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielbasavw View Post
I was really interested in joining chp, especially k9 since I enjoy dogs so much. But I cannot deal with any job who will not tolerate facial hair. I've had a goatee since it grew in jr high. Ita apart of who I am, and its not like I can take it on and off for work. Its gone for good. No mater how good of a job it could be, being who I am is more important.
You might fit right in with Berkely PD? I think they allow facial hair.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Interesting... ill look into it
Old 02-14-2013, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielbasavw View Post
Doesn't sound like being a LEO is your line of work. Self sacrifice is one of the things that goes with the job. I doubt that there is one single academy in the state that will allow you to keep your goatee. There are some departments that have policies regarding goatees but they are few and far between. Gotta pass the academy and FTO first.
Old 02-14-2013, 4:15 AM

pretty sure I've seen a handful of State Parks guys with beards and such. Just a thought.
Old 02-14-2013, 7:30 PM

A lot of federal park/ forest service types have that mountain man look. With Cal Fire (CDF in my day) we stayed clean shaven but the fed guys had beards... Guess it is just their trademark.

My thoughts, they say jump... I don't even ask how high just do it to my full potential. If you really want a career in law enforcement I don't understand how you could let something like a beard limit your opportunities.
Old 02-14-2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km22 View Post
They don't do the essay anymore.
They do mention a candidate statement, is that the essay?
I've been drafting my thoughts regardless, along the lines of why I am interested and what makes me a good candidate just in case so I am not unprepared. Agility is this weekend then peals start Monday. They mentioned people from this pool could start the academy in Sept! That's awesome for those that make it...
Old 02-14-2013, 8:43 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-in View Post
They do mention a candidate statement, is that the essay?
I've been drafting my thoughts regardless, along the lines of why I am interested and what makes me a good candidate just in case so I am not unprepared. Agility is this weekend then peals start Monday. They mentioned people from this pool could start the academy in Sept! That's awesome for those that make it...
Probably referring to the personal history statement, background check form where you tell them everything about your life from drug use to employment to education. Not an essay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2