Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 AM

^^^^^
Nothing beats a working line German Shepherd , used by police and military around the world for good reason . I have 2 Czech border patrol line dogs that are always on duty and never take a day off . American show line dogs will bark but a working dog bites !

Last edited by Willie Dog; 02-14-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Opps , pic didn't work

Last edited by Willie Dog; 02-14-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 4:44 PM

Sorry to ask a dumb question but can family dogs be trained to not eat rat poison?
Like I said in an earlier post in this thread we have 3 g.s. mix rescues; all awesome dogs; they are family, but like I said; a buddy a block from me had his 2 labs poisoned by someone. The dogs are gone and no one was ever caught.
We watch our dogs carefully but honestly I'd rather be robbed of whatever I have than have one of our dogs poisoned; I worry about it all the time.
I have a VERY secure place that I built myself 5 years ago; about every security feature you can think of and some you probably haven't thought of; but the dogs are still vulnerable to some a__hole.
Old 02-14-2013, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Food or substance refusal motivationally takes time like anything else, including rat poison. I was considering selling one of the females to a working home not long ago, but the gentleman said his two most recent dogs were poisoned. While not his fault, the last thing I want one of my dogs to do is die to pay for someone else's revenge bit or lack of control on poison...so I kept her.

Like rattlesnakes, dogs can be trained in avoidance behaviors. Big black dildo swallowed a bellyful of rat poison in Illinois at an airport FBO on the way back from Cleveland one day pretty darn fast; couldn't catch him in time and the FBO was stupid for having It out in he open like that - never happen again. A good charcoal lunch and lots of whining and he lived to bark about it another day, but still- ugh.

Almost as bad is also Chocolate.

Thanks for the compliments; we will donate our dogs to law enforcement after we choose our replacement dogs on a litter. This time around, given Sandra Sue Hutchens' stance against CCw, we passed donating via the Sheriff's Advisory Council in Orange County. I'm still amazed at how may deputies in Orange County think she's so much better than the previous guy who was corrupt when she so easily and eagerly tramples on our rights.
Old 02-14-2013, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

I used to own a couple "family" rotts. never got robbed.

crooks and gang-bangers avoided the place.

with a very good reason.

Old 02-16-2013, 2:19 PM

Retired C/O here, over many years and literally thousands of Inmates on work crews. Gave me the chance to converse with these guys one on one. The one common denominator I heard "there are are to many easy targets out there". Why risk getting caught at a house with it's outside lights on and a Loud aggressive DOG. To many targets just down the street. Things these guys told me they look for in targets. 1) Open garage doors, usually the door to the house is left unlocked. 2) News papers and door hangers left on doors. 3)Trash Cans left out on the street for extended periods of time. 4) House with NO OUTSIDE lights on at night. 5) House with No Barking Dog. 6) House with no alarm system. My 64 lb Ainu (Japanese work Dog) can go outside when he chooses. Sleeps at the end of my bed also patrols the inside of the house during the night. If/when something bothers him he will either turn on his Demon growl. LOL Or he will come to my side of the bed and stand up putting both front paws on the top mattress, he will either poke me with his nose or hit me with his paw. I have no doubt I would have plenty of time to prepare for an intruder.

Last edited by FSRD; 02-16-2013 at 2:23 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 3:12 PM

We have two trained German Shepards. About a year ago my diagnosed insane neighbor walked 1 mile up our private road and crossed our fence onto our property to be greeted by my dog Zorro. He was mauled pretty bad. One of his *** cheeks had to be sewn back on. We got a call from the guy's father threatening to sue us if the dog wasn't put down. After further investigation we found out that the crazy guy was chasing after my 7 year old sister. My mom was still asleep that day and had no idea what was happening outside. Zorro was the only thing that stood in between my sister and what that crazy bastard would have done to her. In short, dogs will protect your home even when you cant.
Old 02-18-2013, 2:27 PM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My theory is that a dog, unless properly and constantly trained, is nothing more than another layer of defense - an alarm with ears if you will. I've got at least 2 Weimaraners at home at all times. They wouldn't hurt a fly but make a racket that would deter anyone except someone with bad intentions from entering. They would give me sufficient notice to get my self defense tools.

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 02-19-2013, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinos View Post
We have two trained German Shepards. About a year ago my diagnosed insane neighbor walked 1 mile up our private road and crossed our fence onto our property to be greeted by my dog Zorro. He was mauled pretty bad. One of his *** cheeks had to be sewn back on. We got a call from the guy's father threatening to sue us if the dog wasn't put down. After further investigation we found out that the crazy guy was chasing after my 7 year old sister. My mom was still asleep that day and had no idea what was happening outside. Zorro was the only thing that stood in between my sister and what that crazy bastard would have done to her. In short, dogs will protect your home even when you cant.
That is good dog right there. I dig how dogs can be so protective of our kids.

What do you do about meter readers, or the propane delivery guy etc. I mean how do you get the dogs to not bite the wrong person?
Old 02-19-2013, 9:22 PM

Good job Zorro !
Old 02-27-2013, 7:46 PM

Well I can't say from experience per say as I've neither perpetrated nor been the victim of a home invasion robbery, but I can say as an Deputy Probation Officer one of the first things I ask a probationer in the initial interview is: "Do you have any dogs, and if so, what breed are they?"

We certainly are intimidated by the prospect of being greeted by a 90lb pitbull or mastiff when we go to do a compliance check, I assume the bad guys are the same.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawndog View Post
Yes
Okay, I have to ask.

Would it be legal to walk my dog with a gun strapped to him in CA? It's not concealed and the open carry law(pen:26350) specifically refers to a "person".
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 PM

I know my 100 lb. 2 year old German Shepherd is. We trained him with the "watch em" command and he growls and shows his teeth. Plus the intimidating bark when people knock on the door late at night helps too. I think dogs are effective tools, but shouldn't be relied on as the sole source of HD.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Balls View Post
That is good dog right there. I dig how dogs can be so protective of our kids.

What do you do about meter readers, or the propane delivery guy etc. I mean how do you get the dogs to not bite the wrong person?
We always warn anyone that might be coming onto our property about our dogs. They have been instructed to call us beforehand so we can lock our dogs up. We also have signs just in case. There have been a few accidents. Zorro has scared the **** out of the UPS guy a few times.The meter reader reads our meeter from the end of the road with binoculars. If he crossed our fence the dogs would attack him. We have a gate that is always shut so they would have to intentionally cross our fence to be greeted by our dogs.They only attack once the intruder has gotten passed our gate.
This is Zorro.
Old 02-28-2013, 1:43 PM

My home security:

Old 02-28-2013, 6:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have been involved in the breeding,raising,training, titling ect of dogs specificlly german shepherds for over 25 years and currently work for the largest police and miltary dog kennel in the country. I can tell you personally that I have had dogs dter potential b&e subjects as well as an attempted car jacking. I train and certify roughly 500 k9 teams a year and can tell you a well trained k9 is an excellent detterant. I have steadily seen the number of hostile subject surrenders climb as more depts are getting dogs. Thats being said its a lot of work. These dogs need a job and if you dont give them one they will find one( maybe digging up your yard, maybe removing the padding from your outdoor furniture) so they need mental and physical excercise. I can attest that Gldtrotter has some excellent dogs and you would do well getting a dog from them. I have had some excellent converations with
norcalk9 and he seems to be a legit guy and friends in his area speak very highly of him. if you are looking for a dog or have further questions feel free to pm me and I can steer you in the right direction and away from some others.
Old 03-07-2013, 8:34 AM

A friend of ours had a large dog albeit a labrodoodle and the robbers came in through the doggy door and put the dog in its kennel. then proceeded to rob the house. So **** happens.

We have a Rottie and a Boxer and used to live in a rough neighborhood in SF. People wouldnt even walk our fence line.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM

French ring might be something to look into. Not sure if someone referrenced the schutzhund club up in Lincoln; its pretty tight knit and mostly a "sporting club"though there are LE and John R. used to be, iirc. My limited experience seeing John work was not favorable, very impatient, judgemental in animal selection and overall unfriendly. However, if looking @ a dobermann, Wendy Schmit from Langraf(? Spelling) kennel trains/trained there and probably the most respected breeder/handler.She titled both dobes and mal in both ring and schuthund, the only handler I know who's accomplished this!Just something to think about .She also works mals, awesome dog but NOTHING like the ferocity of a dobe (long O no E)
http://www.landgrafk9.com/
Schutz.

Last edited by Schutzman; 03-07-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawndog View Post
Yes
this is so EPIC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
we never had the problems in CA till the whiteys took over. We used to hunt, fish, roam, then they showed up and wanted to be civilized.............Ruined it for everyone!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Perfect example of how relying only on dogs isn't a good ideahttp://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/07...est=latestnews
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I def agree with schutzman if you want a dobie talk to wendy she imo has the best working dobes in the states. I have had the privledge of working several of them over the years and they are the real deal.
Old 03-07-2013, 1:49 PM

Burglars targeted an officer's house for burglary. Poisoned 2 of his dogs too. Granted one was a Lab and the K-9 was kenneled. Sick people out there.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=9019455
Old 03-07-2013, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
I used to own a couple "family" rotts. never got robbed.

crooks and gang-bangers avoided the place.

with a very good reason.

Same here with the Catahoula and two Spaniels nobody even comes to the door - except Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts with mom or dad

You should see the UPS-Fedex-Postman drop the packages and run
Old 03-08-2013, 7:28 PM

I've got a Rott as well. He is fluent in all his commands in 4 languages (I speak all 4). I got him b.c of his parents. I knew them since they were puppies. The ***** is amazing and the stud is flat out freaking scary. We came home while out running errands. Someone broke into the house. The dogs trapped em in the kitchen with no way out. The dudes pants were soaking wet. He pissed himself. I trained my dog from day one. Walk the perimeter of house so he doesn't venture away. He stays. I live in easy Oakland hood. Everyone walks on opposite side of the street. They know my dog, Jeep, & 12 gauge. I no longer get dope dealing in front of my house and very little trash dumping (still working on that). I'm really happy with my rottie. He's great w my baby and chickens. Doesn't like crackheads.
If you're up to it. Get a caucasian ovcharka. But be prepared! This dog will ruin a intruders day. Best part is. No evidence. The dog will take care of it.

Last edited by retired; 03-13-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As much as I love and depend on my dogs ( and they are great working line Malinuts and GSDs, 4 of them) I prefer to think of them as early warning. I don't want them to fight anyone and get hurt unless I am in in real trouble; I more than qualified to take care of business no matter what.
George
Old 03-09-2013, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPBrowningMK3 View Post
As much as I love and depend on my dogs ( and they are great working line Malinuts and GSDs, 4 of them) I prefer to think of them as early warning. I don't want them to fight anyone and get hurt unless I am in in real trouble; I more than qualified to take care of business no matter what.
George
What if you are not home?
Old 03-09-2013, 9:07 AM

I'm not sure what my dogs do when I'm not home but I find dirty dog prints all over the couch, love seat, ottoman, and every other surface they have access to. They always greet me when I come home though and bark like crazy if someone comes up. Come to think of it.... they bark at stuff that isn't there either. Oh well, better than nothing.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 03-09-2013, 9:21 AM

Thanks for all of the great recommendations and breeder referrals - just what I'm looking for.

At this point, I'm waffling between a GS and a Dobie - both are great breeds with intelligence and a working lineage. Rotties and boxers are bad *****, too, but I've always liked Shepherds - even as a kid. Dobies are a more recent thing. My wife likes that they don't shed.

Since guns are only part of a HD solution, a sticky with a list of reliable and trustworthy breeders might be helpful for others. It might be a little OT, but only a little.
Old 03-09-2013, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
I would have gone with a strong side draw rather than a cross draw, but that's just me.
It's left pawed
Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM

Oh, and go with the home surveillance cameras so that you can at least have the satisfaction of watching your dog chew up some a-hole if they do decide to break in.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 03-09-2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
Oh, and go with the home surveillance cameras so that you can at least have the satisfaction of watching your dog chew up some a-hole if they do decide to break in.
Yeah, and my dog and I can sit down together afterwards and critique his moves. I love it - a post ace-chewing review.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
What if you are not home?
I hope it never happens, because I think of them not as pets but as my family, but if it does 2 of them will not give up until the bad guy is really done or they are dead. Two males, a GSD and a Maligator. They have been tested by good decoys and will not back down not matter what pressure you put them under. The more you fight them the more damage they will cause.

George
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 AM

I'm not a LEO but I will share a quick story. While living in a large city in the mid west I would walk my dog at the local park that was one block away. While walking one day there was a group of individuals walking towards me. As they got closer they moved to the other side of the road rather quickly. They were throwing their hands up and being loud which got my dogs attention and he started growling. When they were parallel with me they mentioned that my dog was the reason they no longer walked the alley behind my house. They stated that they and "everyone" In the neighborhood knew exactly where "that" dog lived. He is the larger dog in my avatar, a 150lb Brindled Presa. So, I would venture to say yes, very much worth it for a deterrent plus the bond made with one's dog is priceless.
Old 03-12-2013, 7:25 AM
Veteran Member

Dog can be a deterrent and also provide MUCH needed warning.

Keep in mind, that a home owner has a RIGHT to get to their firearm and be ready to face a threat.

There is also NO OBLIGATION TO RETREAT.

EVEN IF ALL IT TAKES IS WALKING OUT OF THE DOOR.
Old 03-12-2013, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Excuse this non-LEO for interjecting, but I remember hearing a many time convicted life-long burglar speaking about home security (he was trying to turn over a new leaf and had become a security advisor).

He said "Why would I break into a house where I know I will have to deal with a dog when I can break into the house next door that does not have a dog?"
He suggested that size of the dog isn't an issue, it's the noise they make and the attention they bring.
^ About this, from a LEO perspective, I have taken a handful of reports where little dogs were present. Yes they make noise, yes they would deter a burglar who hasn't done his homework.

The city I worked in had a rash of residential burgalries where the crooks were doing their homework, Little dog or not they waited for the home owners to leave the residence (sometimes for only 15 minutes) they would then hit the house ignoring the little dog because they knew no one was home. I beleive a big dog IN the home is an excellent deterrent especially "security" breeds. Shepherds, Pinschers, Mastiffs, Rotts, and Pits. Any dog is better than no dog

Looking for:

Henry or Mossberg lever-action 30-30
28" Mossberg 500 barrel
FAB Defense GL-Shock Buttstock
Meprolight M21 bullseye
AR15 FIVE (5) round magazine
Old 03-12-2013, 8:41 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

There was a news story a couple years ago of some Chihuahuas that cornered a Mountain Lion in a garage. Don't underestimate the little yappers.
Old 03-12-2013, 6:48 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

I personally would rather have a mountain lion than a dog, but that is just me.

- Gavin Newsom
Old 03-13-2013, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
I listen to my dogs and praise them for raising the alarm even if I see nothing. They have senses of smell & hearing hundreds of times better than ours. Just because WE don't see anything doesn't mean there's nothing there.

OP don't underestimate a yappy lapdog. They can be great early warning systems. They do tend to be insecure and snippy though. One study awhile back indicated that the dog most likely to actually bite a human was a Dachshund.
Dachshund are awesome for first alert. I own one and she is amazing what she can detect and I am not even aware of. Any hound or German breed is great at that.
Old 03-13-2013, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

Plus, Daschunds are great if you have a gopher problem.
Old 03-13-2013, 9:51 PM

Yes they are. But like others have said, train em properly. When I hung up my PI License, the employee (and friend) that I sold the business to lagged on getting her paperwork started for her CCW. Her solution? She bought 2 shepherds and took them through a LEO/Military training course. Those dogs saved her *ss many times when she had to investigate or even simply serve papers in a not so nice part of town. She was happy, I was happy (because I didnt have to stay on and help her with these situations since I kept my CCW)....

Personally I have 2 Chihuahuas, and those little dogs are smaller than my cat but if someone even walks too close to my driveway they go nuts barking....

Gives me time to look out the window, assess what is going on and decide if it is just people walking by or if I need to pull the scatter gun...... Thank God that I have never had to deal with an HI, but yes a dog is a great first line of defense....