Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 2:54 AM

1k of 9mm to start for me. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem selling 100k a week right now if your stuff is halfway descent.
Old 02-07-2013, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericarp78 View Post
1k of 9mm to start for me. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem selling 100k a week right now if your stuff is halfway descent.
LOL i dont have that much time to do 100k a week. thats funny. i am having some issues with this last lot of 9mm, didnt touch a thing. found out that my powder dump got clogged, and my sensor didnt pick up on it. going to have to check into it. prob just a dead AA. good thing they didnt get out there yet, i test every lot that i load up, and they were failing to eject, shot fine, but every 4 or 5 rounds it wouldnt eject. problem now solved : )
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 PM

2k of 5.56
1k of .40
To start with. When do you think you will start in CA.
Old 02-12-2013, 6:31 PM

got another 6 months on the realistic side psycho
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Default GREAT advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungroth View Post
You didn't ask for it, but I'm going to give you some advice. I'm also 24, and have been running my own business for the last two years. I own a flight school with two airplanes, three other instructors, and a full time office manager. We're planning on adding another airplane this year, and things are going well.

All my advice is take it or leave it, and probably worth what you paid for it.

If you can stay at your location in Sacramento, definitely do that. Seems like it will keep you overhead much lower.

Sounds you already have part of a website. If you don't, and you're at all good with computers, consider a wordpress site. Here's a nice theme that's absolutely worth every penny: http://themeforest.net/item/striking...p-theme/128763

If you don't have a web host already, I really like Dreamhost. Also make sure you're backing up your site.

I've never used wordpress as an e-commerce platform, I hear it's not great for that. Which brings me to my next point:

Don't even worry about online orders and stock. You're right, you'd be at the computer all the damn time updating stock. If I was you, I'd make a simple website with a page for each of your types of ammo and a page about you and where you make it. Your customer base loves that kind of stuff.

On every ammo page is the current estimated wait time for that ammo. Also on every page is a contact form where someone can type in what they'd like, name, phone number, email and how they'd like to be contacted. Every morning, transfer the data in the emails in to a spreadsheet. Then make ammo all day.

Once you've made someone's order, send them an email with an invoice from Google wallet. Paypal sucks, so use Google. How do you do that? https://support.google.com/checkout/...n&answer=53026

Maybe also give them a phone call (only if they're okay with that. People can be private about everything). They then have 48 hours to pay up and you'll ship it out. If they don't pay in that time, it just goes on to the next person.

With this set up, you'll never have to worry about shopping cart software. You won't have to set up a credit card merchant (which is an expensive PITA), you can just use Google. Your in person orders, online and phone orders will all integrate well. Everything just goes into that spreadsheet (which you're backing up right?). Also makes it easy if you hire anyone to help in production.

You're not going to be able to go toe to toe with some giant manufacturer. Beat them on service and simplicity.

As a personal not, I would also not bring up your age. It can really only hurt you, that's been my experience. Also, start typing better. Get some punctuation and capitalization in there.

Resources:

The Small Business Start-Up Kit for California. An amazing book for getting started with the legal ins and outs of starting a business.
http://www.amazon.com/Small-Business.../dp/1413316824

The One Page Business Plan. A fun book (if it's not fun, you shouldn't be starting your own business) that will help you get everything out of your head and down on paper.
http://www.amazon.com/Page-Business-.../dp/1891315099

The Personal MBA: Mastering the Art of Business . This will help inspire for the soft skills of running a business. Pick it up, read three pages, integrate it in to your business. Repeat.
http://www.amazon.com/Personal-MBA-M...s=personal+mba

I wouldn't worry about any other books on business for a while. There's a lot of crap out there.

Dropbox is the cheapest way (free) to back up your important files. http://www.dropbox.com/

Don't want to pay for Excel? Use OpenOffice (free).
http://www.openoffice.org/

These sort of businesses (small time ammo manufacturing, small flight schools) fail all of the time because people don't run them like a real business. Don't make that mistake, and I really think you could do well. Good luck!
This. +1,000,000.

Great business advice. Thanks for posting it, even if it might fall on deaf ears.

Please send me a PM. I'm overdue for a biennial flight review, and if you're not too far away I'd like to talk to you.
Old 02-26-2013, 1:04 PM

Count on me for 1000 of 5.56
Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 AM

Are you producing ammunition for sale now? Or just gauging the market? I'll take 1k 9mm whenever you get up an running.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM

Please include me 1k of 5.56 and 1k of .40...Thank you.

Last edited by rqc; 02-27-2013 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Mis type.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Tagged for future buying. I'll do a 1k .40 S&W soon....but want to see some reviews on the thread.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM

In for 1k 9mm as soon as you are up and running.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

in for 2k of 556 when this happens. cant wait and good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
we never had the problems in CA till the whiteys took over. We used to hunt, fish, roam, then they showed up and wanted to be civilized.............Ruined it for everyone!
Old 02-27-2013, 4:21 PM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor

Count me in for 1k 9mm and 1k of 556
Old 03-01-2013, 7:01 PM

Thank you for your service!
When you are set up, let us know.
I will take:
2k of .40 and 1k of .223

Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2013, 7:42 PM

Since you're 6 months away, I won't commit to anything.

However, once you're selling & there's been a reliable review I'll probably take 1K 9mm.
Old 03-02-2013, 9:41 AM

We are an established licensed commercial ammo manufacturer here in the Sacramento area primarily selling through a dozen or so gun stores located in California, Nevada, and New Mexico. You wanted good advice, so here goes...

It sounds like you have the insurance issue handled. You will also need licensing from the county and state (and perhaps city) as well as federal. Your place of business will have to be sprinklered and inspected by the fire marshall. You will also need to build or buy an approved powder cabinet, and lockers for your primers.

You will also need to worry about paying the 11% federal excise tax (off your gross) for all rounds that you produce and sell. You will need to figure that into your pricing. This needs to be paid quarterly.

You will also have to worry about component supply lines. Powder alone has an eight to 12 month lead time right now, and most, if not all, of the ranges here already have contracts with others for their brass.

Speaking of brass, you will also need to buy case processing equipment or locate someone willing to process your raw brass for you. You should also figure in the cost of this into your pricing.

Also, there is a ban on the shipment of ammunition via common carrier to people living within the city limits of Sacramento, so you will either need to arrange for pickup by the customer or deliver it yourself to the customer.

My last piece of advice, since you are probably going to remain small for awhile, is look into odd-ball calibers. Small market, yes, but you can find a lot of profit in it because the majors generally aren't competing with you in it.

Good luck to you!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by Dianne; 03-03-2013 at 7:19 AM.. Reason: Clarification on Federal Excise Tax / Ban on Ammo Shipment within the city of Sacramento.
Old 03-02-2013, 7:30 PM

I'll take 1,000 of the 556
Old 03-03-2013, 5:27 AM

Looking forward to buying ammo in bulk from you in Sac once you're up and running. Between myself and 8 other buddies, I can image buying serveral K's of ammo for various Calibers regularly.
Old 03-03-2013, 6:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
It's hard to make a living reloading bulk common cartridges. This is a good time to be in the business IF you have an excellent supply line already established. But, that doesn't happen with start up companies. More than a few here have tried, established a decent customer base and then failed. Freakshow and Jack Ross are two examples. Good luck in your venture. But, realistically, be prepared to fail unless, you find a niche market to tap.
The components will be a killer.

AND DO NOT EVER SELL ANYTHING BEFORE YOU HAVE IT READY TO SHIP! I put that in caps because once that happens, you will be doomed to fail as your supplier will not deliver on time and it just snowballs. You can let people know when you expect to have something back in stock, but don't fall to the pressure of getting it sold before you make it.
Old 03-03-2013, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungroth View Post
On every ammo page is the current estimated wait time for that ammo. Also on every page is a contact form where someone can type in what they'd like, name, phone number, email and how they'd like to be contacted. Every morning, transfer the data in the emails in to a spreadsheet. Then make ammo all day.

Once you've made someone's order, send them an email with an invoice from Google wallet. Paypal sucks, so use Google. How do you do that? https://support.google.com/checkout/...n&answer=53026
One problem with this: Google Wallet has a specific ban on the selling of firearms and ammunition. From their list of banned items you CANNOT sell using their payment system: "Weapons: Firearms, ammunition, and other items including but not limited to firearms, disguised, undetectable or switchblade knives, martial arts weapons, silencers, ammunition, ammunition magazines, BB guns, and tear gas" https://support.google.com/checkout/...n&answer=75724

Last edited by Dianne; 03-03-2013 at 7:33 AM.. Reason: Added link to Google's list of banned items
Old 03-03-2013, 4:39 PM

As with the others I would also help fund your business with those prices. Looking for 5.56/.223, .40, .45, and .308. Feel free to PM me when you get setup.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoba View Post
As a starter, i'll say limit first upto max of 1K or 2K each order for every costumer. So that you can build a reputation quickly. Just to be fair on each costumer.

I'll get 1K of 556 & 45.
Okay, to be fair to others, I will limit my initial order to 1K per caliber.

Seriously, when you're running I will buy from you.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM

I am ready to buy keep us updated.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:06 PM

First off, thank you for your service! I know you won't have any problems meeting your monthly goals when your shop is set up and ready to roll. With that said, put me down for 2k of the 556/223 and 1k of the 40 cal. Can't wait till your up n running and rest assured you already have guaranteed buyers here in the Sacto area.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:25 PM

any chance that you will be able to ship? I'm in So Cal, but would be interested in

1k 556
1k 9mm
1k 40
1k 45

Thank you for your service!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

- David
http://www.dlvphotography.com
Old 03-07-2013, 8:31 PM

I will take 1k 9..

Thank you and good luck!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 PM

I will hold off on throwing an order at you until you are ready, but look forward to supporting a veteran start-up business that is looking to stake a claim in Kalifornia.

If you need a little free manual labor in the Sacto area, I could give a little. I could also offer some help with with Corp or LLC filings in California (with nothing expected in return).

You seem to have plenty of potential customers (me included), so I would like to start a CALGUNS trend of pledging support in terms of effort!

So as I said, need some boxes moved around?..PM me. Need assistance with foreign or domestic LLC or Corp filings?...PM me. That is how I can help. Strictly a volunteer offer.

Best way to get my order filled is to help you be better able to fill it. You are living my dream, starting a business.

This is a sincere offer, hope you get more.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Good luck, once you are up and runnig I'll throw in my order for 3k of 9mm
Old 03-15-2013, 6:46 AM

add me to your 9mm wish list.
Old 03-15-2013, 7:43 AM

When you're ready, I'll be interested in a minimum of 1000 rds each of: 9mm, .40SW and .223
Old 03-15-2013, 2:37 PM

throw me in for .223 and maybe 40
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM

1K-9mm maybe more
1K-556

Please let me know when you available.

Billy
Old 05-03-2013, 6:28 PM

Ill take 1k of ea when you r up and running let me know.pm me when you are ready.
Old 05-03-2013, 6:54 PM

Location: SF Bay Area then go east to the hills with wind mills

Count me in for a few k rounds of 9. Also live on the east boarder of Contra Costa County if you need a currier to the bay I can help. When your ready I can check local ranges for there brass.
Old 05-06-2013, 9:12 PM

when you are up and running I would be willing to buy 5.56 from you....
Old 05-06-2013, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

2k of 223 when you're ready
Old 05-06-2013, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

and a lot more when I get the word out to my friends
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
My last piece of advice, since you are probably going to remain small for awhile, is look into odd-ball calibers. Small market, yes, but you can find a lot of profit in it because the majors generally aren't competing with you in it.
I.E., .300 Wby Mag which I (and many others in my area) tend to pay $80-100 per box in our local gun stores.
Old 05-08-2013, 7:32 PM

Best of luck!

Tagged!
Old 05-09-2013, 6:24 AM

HELLO EVERYBODY! its been so long! im sorry that i havent been in town yet! i ended up doing an extra rotation i didnt expect. i wont be home for ALMOST ANOTHER YEAR! sheesh. back to the sandbox for me. im so sorry guys. i will be hhome and selling cheaply soon. !!!!!!!!!!1
Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Tagged, willing to wait