Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-08-2013, 7:56 PM

Default I want to sell my gun, how?

I wanted to sell my Walter G22, ive never sold a gun before, how do i go through with it? Do i just find someone and take them and then go to a turners outdooorsman and do some paperwork?
Old 02-08-2013, 7:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

you can bring it to turners and put it in the consignment case,
or yes, advertise it, find a buyer and go to turners and do paperwork
Old 02-08-2013, 8:08 PM

I know someone that sold a gun once...

Put a for sale post in the private firearms sales forum.

You will need to include a picture, description, details of transfer requirements.

When you get the "I will take it"

PM them and set up a date to meet at your FFL.

That is were the legal transfer will commence.

If you are selling just your ID.

Have the buyer inspect out side...if he say ok...get the cash in full.

Go inside and do the transfer...
Old 02-08-2013, 8:40 PM

^^^

What he said but meet the buyer INSIDE. I never show a gun outside for obvious reasons plus the gun store won't mind.
Old 02-08-2013, 8:41 PM

Turners consignment takes a substantial chunk out of the sale price for commission. I sold a gun last year, and IIRC it was something like 25% of the sale price when I asked the manager at the South Bay Turners. I ended up posting on the marketplace section of this forum, and sold the gun within a month.

The steps are:

1) Find someone willing to buy.

2) Find a LGS who does PPT.

3) Meet up with that person at your LGS at an agreed-upon time. A savvy buyer will then get the chance to give the gun a full inspection. He/she may want to dry fire or test extraction, and it would be wise for you or them to bring snap caps.

4) If the buyer finds the price and gun agreeable, they fill out the paperwork and pay you (you should ask for money order or cash; no personal checks). There's some paperwork for you but no background check on your end. Buyer has to pay PPT fees ($35.00 max + Tax) at the LGS. Additional fees may be charged by the LGS, but they cannot be claimed to be PPT fees (they will be called "holding fees", "handling fees", or something like that). You should call your LGS beforehand to find the total fees. If you agree to split or pay their PPT then you can knock it off the buyer's price.

5) Buyer has to wait 10 days for the background check. You hope the buyer doesn't fail.

6) Buyer returns with a brand new gun lock and dated receipt, or buys one from the LGS. No, the one that comes with the gun is no longer valid.

If there are any flaws in appearance or function with your gun, make sure to make them known to the potential buyer. Closeup pictures of scratches, marks, cracks, or other problems are advised. Buyers are usually curious about the trigger, ammo the gun likes, round count, FTE's, FTFeeds, FTFires, and groupings. Itemize everything that comes with the gun, including magazines, scopes, and other accessories. A happy buyer is a buyer who knows exactly what they're getting.

Lastly, document the sale on your end. Take lots of photographs of the gun and packaging, and record the serial numbers and photograph barcodes. Good luck on your sale!

Last edited by chingdaotze; 02-08-2013 at 9:29 PM.. Reason: Incorrect information.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:05 PM

All and every FFLs in CA have to do PPT. The only exception is that if they don't sell handguns, they don't have do PPTs with them.

There is also no taxes on PPTs, and they are not allowed to charge you for holding the gun during the 240 hour waiting period. If an LGS has charged sales tax on a PPT, even on only the $35 dros fee, they are either collecting taxes when no tax is supposed to be collected, or pocketing it.

Simply put, if the LGS knows the law and isn't shady then

1. Meet at LGS, finalize deal

2. Buyer gives you whatever you agreed upon

3. Buyer pays LGS $25-$35 max. No taxes on this. Or you could, but the normal way is that the buyer does. It is his background check after all.

4. Fill out paperwork. You need an ID, like a drivers license. Buyer needs that, and additional proof of residency (such as a car registration). And an HSC (which would be $25 if he doesn't have one)

5. You go on your merry way

There shouldn't be any storage fees. A few places charge is you pick it up after 10 days, but honestly have only seen one place that does that and it was posted policy, starting on the 11th day.. The buyer has 30 days by law to pick it up, or he must do the DROS over. Assuming he isn't denied, you needn't do anything more.

Seriously, if an LGS has charged additional fees or taxes, they are shady. Don't deal with them.
Old 02-09-2013, 9:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Get cash before you sign anything. If he fails DROS, you can either refund his money or ignore his pleas, up to you.
Old 02-15-2013, 1:43 PM

lol i want to say "very carefully" but that would be mean.

you can post it here on for for sale section, then meet at a FFL near you to do transfer, ex:turners

If you find someone outside of our community, make sure they have california id, hsc card, proof of res. Easier then buying a gun for sure.

"Gun control is like trying
to reduce drunk driving
by making it tougher for
sober people to own cars"
Old 02-15-2013, 9:52 PM

Sorry for this question, but I just moved from Texas to CA. In order to sell a gun from one private party to another private party you are required to go through an FFL dealer? If that is the case, I see nothing private about the sale, and the FFL dealer gets a cut. I am all for nut cases not getting weapons and a back ground check. But requiring an FFL to get involved?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedTexan View Post
Sorry for this question, but I just moved from Texas to CA. In order to sell a gun from one private party to another private party you are required to go through an FFL dealer? If that is the case, I see nothing private about the sale, and the FFL dealer gets a cut. I am all for nut cases not getting weapons and a back ground check. But requiring an FFL to get involved?
No. You are missing the point. For private party transactions (PPT), you deal directly with the buyer, take cash, THEN go inside the FFL to do the transfer. In CA, almost all gun transactions require DROS, background, and 10 day wait. That is why you need the ffl. You can't just exchange goods and money and walk away. The only money the ffl gets is $35 ($25 for dros ans $10 for their time). There is no cut from the transaction.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 34" ported barrels & removable Chokes
BT-99 with 34" ported barrel, adjustable comb, removable chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Got it.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

I only sold one and regretted it, but I just put it on consignment at my LGS. They only charged 15% .. it was worth it to me. ymmv
Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
No. You are missing the point. For private party transactions (PPT), you deal directly with the buyer, take cash, THEN go inside the FFL to do the transfer. In CA, almost all gun transactions require DROS, background, and 10 day wait. That is why you need the ffl. You can't just exchange goods and money and walk away. The only money the ffl gets is $35 ($25 for dros ans $10 for their time). There is no cut from the transaction.
Been that way in CA since 1/1/1991.

FYI -- when I advertise a gun in the marketplace here at CGN, I put in language that the buyer must have all paperwork required for transfer when they say they'll take it -- else their offer is void.
I do this because I put one FS ; and some noobe, after saying he would take it, then asked what he needed to buy it.
(Lesson, never assume a buyer knows they need CA ID, POR and a HGSC.)

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)

Last edited by littlejake; 02-18-2013 at 11:11 AM..