Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-03-2013, 6:42 AM

Default Best home security system??

Do any of you have any advise on home security systems?

Best company to use?

DIY or have a company product?

I hear wireless is the way to go.

Do I need sensor on every window and door?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 7:00 AM

I am I interested also. For video if you have 4 or more camers they recommend wired. For your standard home monitoring system I think wireless is ok.
Old 02-03-2013, 7:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a 6 camera set in my business and a 4 camera at home. I bought both set ups at Costco. I have had the set in my business for 8 years with NO problems at all.

The best thing about corded cameras is that nobody can use cheap technology to see your wireless cameras. All they need is a cordless roaming channel baby monitor and they can see what you see!

So if your going to put money into something that is supposed to protect you. You sure don't want the criminal to see what your seeing, do you?

NRA Life Member

Loved By Some, Hated By Many, Respected By All..
Old 02-03-2013, 7:16 AM

I would suggest IP cameras

many aps out there for android and IOS to let you view/manage/control multiple cameras
Old 02-03-2013, 7:17 AM

(for me, today) I'd get:

- a wired camera home surveillance system
- wireless alarm system with cellular capability and POTS backup
- sensors on every possible exterior cavity including the garage (include glass breaks, PIRs, image sensors)
Old 02-03-2013, 7:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stunna Lot View Post
I would suggest IP cameras

many aps out there for android and IOS to let you view/manage/control multiple cameras
We have this and it's great if you just want to check in on your kids, animals or employees!!

NRA Life Member

Loved By Some, Hated By Many, Respected By All..
Old 02-03-2013, 7:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big ravioli View Post
We have this and it's great if you just want to check in on your kids, animals or employees!!
I second that. I can watch my cams on my Android, I use Blue Iris to record video, and the cams backup images directly to ftp.

I just started using the Iris security system from Lowes. There's no live monitoring, but police don't respond to alarm calls where I live anyways. If there's an alarm, it calls my family and my neighbors. That way someone can verify an emergency & call 911.

I also liked the Iris because the accessories are very cheap, I put a sensor on every window and door in my house. Also have a panic button in the kid's room & all the lights come on when the alarm trips.

Last edited by decepticon6551; 02-03-2013 at 7:36 AM..
Old 02-03-2013, 8:05 AM
Calguns Addict

if memory serves me right prisoners were ask what is the best home security system as a deterrent to you a criminal? first was a homeowner with guns second was dog's third was alarm system.
alarm systems are good but you have to realize that the police do not get to instantly they're not in a rush for a alarm system.it's going to take them an anywhere from a half hour or more because you are not an emergency call you are a potentially false alarm going off.
that said I would go hard wire And not- Wireless. unless you cannot run wires for some reason like you rent and do not own. wireless systems give false alarms more often and you have to replace the batteries pretty regularly I'm going to say about every year just to be on the safe side. All alarms have 1 week point and that's the connection to the Central Station. spend the money and get a cellular back up as well as a landline.
the Central Station monitoring is where the alarm company is really making money they are counting on you to pay 30 dollars a month or more forever. when you can probably find that service online or through some " Lone Ranger " a term for a 1 man alarm company much cheaper say 15 to 20. they probably pay about 7. The Cheapskate advice would be to have a big company install your system and as soon as your contract runs out I think they usually run about 2 or 3 years. just let them know that you no longer want the system and they will probably leave the installed equipment. (because it's cheap AND) is in YOUR house for the the slim possibility that you'll start paying for their monitoring services again, or Hoping the new owner of your house will sign up because they see their stickers on the windows. you then find someone cheaper to do your monitoring. he will come to your house reprogram your dialer to call his Central Station instead of theirs.in my opinion using a alarm without the Central Station is kind of useless. you can't count on the neighbors anymore to call the police when you are not around. Beside you can install a smoke detector or 2 and probably get a break from your insurance company for having alarm system and the fire system.the name of a big wholesaler (that handles lots of different alarm systems )to alarm companies is Ademco. they may sell to private home owners I'm not sure.
I have no name to recommend but I would say a mid size too big size alarm company is who you want to originally install. The problem with lone Ranger's is they may not be around in 10 or 20 years were the bigger companies will be.
you can do it yourself if you're good with reading instructions. in that case get the highest quality wireless system you can afford. you only have to put a contact on the 1 door that starts the delay as you enter the house. in other rooms you can put motion detectors (or more door contacts if you like) that will trip instantly. but be warned motion detectors false on things like
balloons,animals,hot air flow.
cameras a great if you going to take them to court it's the only way to get a conviction of a burglar unless he's caught red handed. that is why you need both systems. While you're at it,get a dog ( truly man's best friend )and you probably already have a gun. I hope this long message helps you all.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:06 AM

I have FrontPoint Security. They provide the hardware and monitoring, you set it up yourself. If you move, you can take it with you.

I haven't added cameras (yet) but the system accommodates them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:19 AM

Female German Shepard
Old 02-03-2013, 8:33 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

As Sealocan says, Ademco is the professional equipment used by ADT and others. You can not buy it direct, but you CAN get it off ebay. There is a store on ebay I have used many times for my alarm needs called bpsecurity and have been very pleased. As for the comment abount battery life; I had my wireless system installed for over 10 years and only had to replace batteries once.

I would look at the older Lynx-R and get a sensor for every door and window as well as several motion detectors.

If you are the least bit handy you can install it yourself in a couple of days. Programming the main unit is not easy, but it is not that difficult once you learn your way around the menus. It is an odd interface, but managable.

For monitoring, look at AlarmRelay.com $100 for an entire year.

Last edited by MaHoTex; 02-03-2013 at 8:35 AM..
Old 02-03-2013, 8:47 AM

My daughter and I live in a rather private and secluded rural area, where we run a small, in-home, no-kill dog rescue/shelter/sanctuary. Having a house and yard full of medium to large dogs - currently 16 including 4 German shepherd mixes, 4 pit bulls, 2 Rottweiler mixes, a wolf, and a border collie, keeps us pretty safe and secure. The dogs are all friendly but do bark - loudly and joyfully! This keeps all the creepy-crawlers away, and if any criminal scum should be stupid enough to come around, my WASR-10/63 home security system should prove adequate to deter any unlawful activity.

I have a wonderful young male pit-bull, Smoochie, who needs a good PIT BULL EXPERIENCED home. He's about 1 1/2 years old, neutered, microchipped,and up to date on all shots. He's great with people - a reall cuddley teddy bear - but has issues with some other dogs particularly other males, so is best as an only dog or with some kind of large mellow female like a lab or golden. He's grey with white chest and fingertips, about 60 pounds, and very handsome. He loves people (he would make a good "watch" dog, but is not a "guard" or "attack" dog) but is alert and watchful, with a beautiful deep and impressive bark.

If anyone could give Smoochie a loving, appropriate, secure home, please contact me at vonweigert@earthlink.net We are also on Facebook as "Wolf Creek Dog Rescue"
Old 02-03-2013, 8:49 AM

I got the wireless systen (cameras), LOREX, at Costco, do work well, but I do get some false alarms, the cameras have motion detectors. Home security alarm is with a local company.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 02-03-2013, 8:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I have an ADT wireless setup with a motion camera inside, a Bullmastiff in the backyard, and some little friends in the closet. Works pretty well.
Old 02-03-2013, 9:15 AM

Ill second Frontpoint Security.

Great system and service.
Old 02-03-2013, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Cameras are nice... to see what happened .. or to be able to check your perimeter from your bed... it sounds like the iris route is pretty cool, you can also hook up your CCTV DVR relay outs to respond to contact breaks.. and set off alarms as well.. possibilities are endless.. are you looking to pay for monitoring is the question.
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 02-03-2013, 9:21 AM

Probably not "the best" but I think this one will suit my needs so I'm going to give it a try http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIRELESS-HOM...item5ae5aa1def
All I really want is something that will set off a siren and this one has a auto dialer as a bonus. Monitoring is available but not interested in that.
Old 02-03-2013, 2:35 PM

There are many and they are all good...
Even if you hang a dummie camera. Its a good deterent.

Nothing like a dog with a big bark!
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-08-2013, 7:22 AM

I have set up 2 systems for our business at 2 different locations. I purchased the Q-See sytems from Costco (periodically on sale) system #1 is a 16 camera set up and system #2 is an 8 camera set-up. I also have installed a number of Buglarbombs (pepper spray systems) I have been extremely happy with the camera systems, but haven't had the opportunity to see the pepper spray systems in action (I'm certain we'll know their effectiveness in the next 6 mos or so)

The camera quality makes a big difference, you might want to factor upgraded camera's for certain area's into the cost. I added several remotely controlled domes to ours. For the peeper spray systems should they go off, there is no cleanup and it takes approx 4 hours to ventillate I purchased these from http://burglarbomb.com/

After 2 years of break ins, untold amount of raw materials - mainly copper and aluminum and an ADT sytem that was virtually useless (switched to Bay Alarm) we had had enough. We also invested 20K in outdoor lighting to eliminate dark places. Right now I'm working on a system to trigger outdoor irrigation using sensors.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:57 AM

+1 on FrontPoint
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM

tag
Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Hey DanM .. do you have relay out options on your DVR?
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Hey DanM .. do you have relay out options on your DVR?
Yes, 4 in and 1 out.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 PM

Ilike my security system
A Labrador retriever
A Cane Corso
A Springfield 1911
Old 02-09-2013, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
if memory serves me right prisoners were ask what is the best home security system as a deterrent to you a criminal? first was a homeowner with guns
check

Quote:
second was dog's
check

Quote:
third was alarm system.
check
Old 02-09-2013, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=639045

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 8:41 PM

I totally recommend Honeywell ademco systems...used by major companies.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger bj View Post
Do any of you have any advise on home security systems?

Best company to use?

DIY or have a company product?

I hear wireless is the way to go.

Do I need sensor on every window and door?

Thanks
DMP is the best equipment...................period.
DMP is specified for Banks, the best you can buy.

Ademco is laaaame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEUG2...e=channel_page

wireless is optional, hardwired doesn't require you to change batteries forever, and hardwired is better for malfunction diagnosis since if your battery is dead the device can't tell you what's wrong.

I have an xt30 panel installed, no phone line for burglars to cut, accessible and controllable from Smartphones, can be combined with Z wave devices to control lights, cameras, whatever, form a smartphone, anywhere. Also configurable to notify you when any intrusion occurs or when access is granted ( let's you know when your kid really got home)

http://www.dmp.com/
Old 02-10-2013, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous216 View Post
I totally recommend Honeywell ademco systems...used by major companies.
but not by banks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxcGkFmu3c

DMP is the .50 BMG of alarm equipment.

http://www.dmp.com/content_images/Reason7.jpg

http://www.dmp.com/content_images/Reason2.jpg

Last edited by fragthefreaks; 02-10-2013 at 4:19 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 4:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

I use Protection One myself, it is monitored security service. When engaged, they'll have someone come out to your place to do an assessment on what to install. Had them for many years now, not a bad company to deal with .

One nice thing they're doing is that since San Jose police department no longer respond to home security alarms, Protection One will send out their own security people when your security goes off and is not turned off. The security folks will do an assessment and contact police for you if required.
Old 02-11-2013, 4:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I just realized about 3 day s ago that my contract with my alarm company has expired (two months prior), and I am able to switch over...

I know FosCam cameras are some of the best IP Cameras (well with the best free features) for sub $100, well at least they are raved about when I was doing some research, and even D-Link cameras for more money do less.

With a FosCam(-actual, not so much on the knockoffs or even d-link's IP cams) you can set the times of day, AND days of the week, and such to check for motion detection, and get notified with pictures or video via e-mail and it will also upload to FTP (pics or vid). I got one and went with an alarm company, and let it sit, now it doesn't work... I will probably try a new power supply, as this one seems to get hot (probably my issue). I know there is a switch that I think can be triggered upon motion detect, so you might be able to just seperate a pair of from your phone line (pots only uses 2 wires out of 8 on cat5, which is the minimum any modern home would have running for phone lines) near it to trigger a wired portion of an alarm system.

I have noticed, after someone cracked my WPA passphrase, that they were disassociating my cameras from the wireless network to get the WPA handshake (recently changed it to WPA2, and a LONG pseudo-cryptic passphrase). Be advised, if you don't know... that wireless cameras will not drop off images if they are disassociated. Make sure to have some at least some... wired (maybe with a UPS on IP cameras, and again on the receiving end in case power is cut), and these will also be loud when you are sleeping as most have an audible alarm when switched to battery in case home power is switched off.

Last edited by the86d; 02-11-2013 at 4:23 AM..