Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 AM
mofojoe mofojoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default C&R Question

aaa

Last edited by mofojoe; 03-06-2013 at 3:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM
kemasa's Avatar
kemasa kemasa is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,071
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

If it is over 50 years old, it is a C&R and 1961 was over 50 years ago, so yes.
__________________
Kemasa.
FFL Transfer/Special Order Dealer since 1993.
Net-FFL list maintainer.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Mssr. Eleganté's Avatar
Mssr. Eleganté Mssr. Eleganté is offline
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,362
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofojoe View Post
I have a Springfield m1-m14 that I've had since 86. My question is since it's serial number shows on the Springfield web site that it was made in 1961 is it a C&R now?
An M1-M14 made by Springfield in 1961?

I don't even know where to start.

Is it in 45-70 or .223?
__________________
__________________

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-05-2013, 9:28 PM
dachan dachan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Santa Clara County
Posts: 2,007
iTrader: 196 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofojoe View Post
I have a Springfield m1-m14 that I've had since 86. My question is since it's serial number shows on the Springfield web site that it was made in 1961 is it a C&R now?
Okay, what is a M1-M14?

And, what website are you referring to?

Your rifle can't be from be Springfield Armory, Inc. and made in 1961 since they were not formed until 1974.

And your rifle can't be a M1A and made in 1961 since the design didn't exist until the early '70's.

If on the otherhand, your rifle is a M1 Garand and from the Springfield Armory (the government arsenal), and hasn't been modified from original configuration, then it is considered C&R under Federal and CA law since they were all made over 50yrs ago. But if that's the case, it is unlikely that it was made in 1961 as production ceased in 1957.

But if your rifle is a M14 from the Springfield Armory (the government arsenal) made in 1961, you've got something really, really special. So special you should expect a visit from the feds real soon.

Last edited by dachan; 02-05-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2013, 9:21 AM
dinkydau's Avatar
dinkydau dinkydau is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East Bay, SF Bay Area
Posts: 394
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

You can go to these two websites:

M1 Collectors Club

The Garand Collectors Assn.

you can get alot of info from them as to what you exactly have and with the serial # they can help you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2013, 5:33 AM
mofojoe mofojoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Thanks for the info guys. I bought the rifle in 86. it has sat in the safe since then i shot a few times but in 91 i started having kids which limited my cash and weekends.
The receiver is stamped
U.S. Rifle
7.62-mm M1A
Springfield Armory
There are different #'s all over this rifle.
I must have got it wrong on the website.
Thats why I asked in this forum. Thanks for the info I'll check the other forums again.
In the Centerfire forum a Mosin Nagant guy bought one just like it a few months ago and his still had the flash hider on it.
He had it removed and replaced with the muzzle brake.

Last edited by mofojoe; 02-08-2013 at 6:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2013, 6:03 AM
mofojoe mofojoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachan View Post
Okay, what is a M1-M14?

And, what website are you referring to?

Your rifle can't be from be Springfield Armory, Inc. and made in 1961 since they were not formed until 1974.

And your rifle can't be a M1A and made in 1961 since the design didn't exist until the early '70's.

If on the otherhand, your rifle is a M1 Garand and from the Springfield Armory (the government arsenal), and hasn't been modified from original configuration, then it is considered C&R under Federal and CA law since they were all made over 50yrs ago. But if that's the case, it is unlikely that it was made in 1961 as production ceased in 1957.

But if your rifle is a M14 from the Springfield Armory (the government arsenal) made in 1961, you've got something really, really special. So special you should expect a visit from the feds real soon.
Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-08-2013, 6:40 AM
mofojoe mofojoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkydau View Post
You can go to these two websites:

M1 Collectors Club

The Garand Collectors Assn.

you can get alot of info from them as to what you exactly have and with the serial # they can help you.
Thanks a lot. I checked and found that mine is a 81. I dont know about that other forum I checked I thought it was Springfield. It was a while ago.
I'm not really a rifle guy. Not too many places to shoot around here. When I bought the M1a I lived in the desert and could shoot out my backyard when the neigbors were at work. No worries. My wife wanted to move back to town (Not that I blame her) so thats limited the rifle time. I just need to figure out what to do with it now. I have a few battle packs so maybe a trip to the desert?

Last edited by mofojoe; 02-08-2013 at 7:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2013, 1:58 PM
Orlando Orlando is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WLiberty Ohio
Posts: 1,384
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

[QUOTE=mofojoe;10464117]Thanks a lot. I checked and found that mine is a 81. [QUOTE]

If serial number is 000081 it was made in late 17971 or early 1972
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:46 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.