Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 AM

While working with (not for) a large city agency a few years ago we recovered a stolen pistol. The pistol was coming back stolen in the AFS database. If I remember correctly it was an old 45LC revolver stolen in the early 80's. Anyway to make a long story short the perp got arrested for the possession of a stolen firearm and what not. Goes to the DA and nothing can be done because this agency can't come up with the stolen report. Something about being so old it went to microfiche and somehow got lost in the transition. The perp still got found guilty for felon in poss. of a firearm and some other charges but not possession of a stolen firearm. The lesson I'm trying to get out is always get and KEEP a copy of the stolen report for all property. (especially cars and guns)

The only good news is that after thirty years and some DOJ paperwork the rightful owner got the pistol back.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM

Default Small Talk

[QUOTE=Ron-Solo;10449827]Ever thought that maybe he was just busy with a bazillion other duties and didn't have time for small talk. It is important that the paperwork is correct, and small talk detracts from accuracy.

How you equate lack of small talk with not wanting to give you your gun back is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. I don't believe being rude is ever appropriate, but not wanting or having time to make small talk isn't necessarily being rude. When you show up to take a vandalism report, and you have five more calls pending (where people are watching their clock to see how fast you get there) you don't have time for small talk.

QUOTE]

A Friend of mine buys a couple nice rifles in Colorado for hunting. Leaves them there with a buddy so he doesn’t have to travel back and forth with them. Buddy goes off the deep end and pawns them for pennies on the dollar for what they’re worth. Friend files police report and asks pawn shop not to sell them tell he gets it straightened out. Cops BLOW him OFF. Pawn shop sells them. Friend Gets Screwed. Guess they weren’t interested in small talk either.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 PM

My brother was burglarized a few months ago, got a call from SPD a few weeks later and was told they got his gun while doing a warrant check on a house. He has to wait till the trial is done before he gets it back.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yes, the police eventually gave back the guns they took

I was renting a room and an office from a guy who wound up getting in trouble for weed (good guy, nam vet with some serious pain issues, smoked weed to counteract his prescribed morphine so he could eat)

Anyway I wasn't party to any of it, but he got caught buying some weed (apparently they deliver?) and the house got tossed (I wasn't there, I was out shooting) and I had two pistols sitting on the desk in my office where I had taken them out of the locked case they had been stored in so that I could put a different gun (the one I was out shooting) into the case for transport to the range.

So.... since the office I was renting still had the guys name on the door, they took the guns (a first gen colt woodsman target and a s&w pre model 10 hand ejector with a 2 inch barrel)

Made me jump through a bunch of hoops, but I eventually got them back.

That's the only time i've ever had firearms removed from my control without my consent.

The really funny part was that the police found one of my crates of random magazines in the garage that I'd had in storage since before the ban so they were freaking out tearing things appart trying to find all the AK's AR's, sten guns, uzi's, PPSH's suomi's tec9's etc.etc.etc. that HAD to be in the house somewhere....

then eventually they must have realized that it was just a crate of perfectly legal mags so they finally left all the mags stacked in a big pyramid on the kitchen table....

when I got back to the house from shooting it was a bit of a strange sight.

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 03-13-2013, 9:11 AM

Last edited by ScottB; 09-03-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 9:16 AM

An Ex boss of mine had one of his matching chrome 1911s returned to him, the pearl grips and the the serial # had been partially removed. The guns were a gift from the Beverly Hills Police department which is the only reason I believe it was recovered. The guns were stolen in 94 and found in 99. I had a dozen guns stolen from me in 98 and doubt I will ever see them again.
Old 03-13-2013, 9:20 AM
Banned

my mom had an old revolver from the 80's which was stolen then. They found it being used in a crime about 8 yrs later and asked if she wanted it back. Said yes, and then sold it
Old 03-13-2013, 9:46 AM

I had a Beretta 92fs stolen from my daughter, I had just given it to her and she had it about 3 weeks and then it was stolen, this was in La Habra about 6 months later I got a call from Chino police they recovered my gun. they had to do ballistic check and asked if I would press charges, well bottom line guy pleaded guilty to charges I had to send a letter to DOJ to check and see if I was still able to own the gun. and I got my gun back in the exact same shape as it was in not a single scratch the gun only had about 500 rounds that I had my daughter run through it.
the only thing wrong was I was short 1 magazine and some rounds they took
but I was pleasantly surprised how helpful and nice the Chino police handled it
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM

A friend in Colorado had his Sig stolen years ago (while obeying a gun-free zone law) from his locked glove box in his truck.
Six years later he got a call that it had been recovered and he picked it up shortly thereafter.

-So, yeah it does happen, but this is the only incident I know of first hand.

-Rich
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM

My neighbor bought a Dan Wesson 357 when they were still in production and it was stolen by someone he thought was a friend. Reported it to the police and the guy who stole it sold it to someone for some marijuana. They arrested him aswell and recovered the Dan Wesson, but in the time it took them to recover the revolver his insurance paid for a brand new one. He opted for a 357 supermag. The police after the trial returned his original Dan Wesson and he kept his lips shut to the insurance company.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM

I had a mint S&W Model 59 that was retired from a small local PD. had ******PD scribed into it. Pachmyer grips i installed got stolen in a house burglarly in Clovis, a month later , Visalia PD called saying they had it. why do I have it? I explained and I.D. it. they said to come get it the following week as there would be no trial as the scumbag who had it was involved in a Shootout with Tulare SO and is deceased.
I called the next week before leaving for Visa and poof! there was a mistake . not my gun after all , sorry. must be a clerical error. another 59 with same scribing and similar serial number and Pachmeyr grips. What are the odds?
that one chapped my hide for a while.
Old 03-13-2013, 1:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandingo13 View Post
Where/how are they getting them?
Fast and Furious ring a bell?
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 03-13-2013, 3:49 PM

I was in the process of buying a Hi-Standard HD Military .22 pistol from a gun shop. After the waiting period, I called to see when I could pick it up and they informed me that the gun, a consignment item, had been reported stolen. they checked with the local PD who called the owner. He said he had collected the insurance years before and didn't want the gun back and it was OK for the gun shop to sell it to me. So, I went and got it. But, I never found out any more about it, for example, who consigned the gun to the shop, and where did he get it?

I've bought several used guns, and I've often wondered what their life story is. I even spent the $75 to get a Colt letter for a .32-20 Army Special I bought, hoping it had been sold to somebody famous, but it originally went to a hardware store in New Orleans that is no longer in existance.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

May not be applicable, but our house was broken into in Ohio, dads mossberg 500 was stolen. He got it back 6 months later and it was in terrible condition.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

A bunch of my guns were stolen, apparently by 2 people because 1 of them was caught with about half of the guns. I was lucky that the guy was not too bright and liked shooting because he hung onto most of them. The PD called me out of the blue a little over a year after they were stolen. From that point it took about 4 or 5 months before the case was adjudicated and they were released about two after that.

For those who have been robbed, ask that the serial numbers be put into the NCIC Federal database. One of my other guns popped up about a year after the others in a town about 250 miles away. They will only stay in the NCIC database for a year, and then you have to request a renewal. You may have to stay after your PD to do these things. I was lucky in that the detective on my case kept after it and contacted me regularly about stuff.