Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM

You are getting ahead of yourself.
Are you a POST academy grad or is the agency going to put you through the academy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank15 View Post
Thank you everyone for all the input so far.

This might be a bit of a stretch and I might be looking too far ahead.

For those of you that took sergeant, detective, lieutenant exams, did these textbooks help?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...l+service+exam

If so, which ones do you recommend?

Got ORI?

Front Sight Diamond Member
Old 02-06-2013, 8:20 PM

1) A few common disappointments would be: Not having many of your friends/family understand what you go through, arresting Joe Dirtbag for the 1,000th felony charge but having him skate anyway because the D.A has too many cases to file (or jail just plain releases him no matter how many times he's booked), and having a public that you literally put your life on the line for second guess every move and decision you make.

2) The only thing guaranteed by choosing a career in law enforcement and giving it 100% every day is that once you retire you can look back on your career know that you did everything you could. You'll get passed over for advancements that you deserve, I promise. But that's not why you are choosing this career. Keep at it, and sooner or later someone who actually cares about the qualities of the officers they promote (as opposed to political allegiances or filling quota) will take notice and reward you.

3) Don't worry about promoting yet(though the POTENTIAL OPPORTUNITIES for promotion may be something to look for in an agency that you wish to work for). And don't EVER say anything in the academy/training/rookie years about how you are going to be a sergeant/lieutenant. That doesn't mean to not have goals and aspirations, but even if you don't say it in a pretentious way it will not win you any friends.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 AM

I agree with Code33, don't think too far ahead right now. You should be focused on academy life and study techniques, not how to become a Sergeant.

In the academy, make sure you are supportive of everyone and be the guy who helps those who might be having some problems. Trust me, the Tac officers will notice that and it will get back to your department that you're a team player. Your reputation begins very early in your career, and you want to start off on the right foot.

Lots of really good advice here, so make sure you print this stuff out and come back to it after you graduate the academy. The academy is tough, but once you get used to it you'll be fine. Start running now, you'll be doing a lot of it.
Old 02-08-2013, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoK1 View Post
I agree with Code33, don't think too far ahead right now. You should be focused on academy life and study techniques, not how to become a Sergeant.

In the academy, make sure you are supportive of everyone and be the guy who helps those who might be having some problems. Trust me, the Tac officers will notice that and it will get back to your department that you're a team player. Your reputation begins very early in your career, and you want to start off on the right foot.

Lots of really good advice here, so make sure you print this stuff out and come back to it after you graduate the academy. The academy is tough, but once you get used to it you'll be fine. Start running now, you'll be doing a lot of it.
This!^^^^ We actually had a guy that dropped from #7 in the class to #20 after peer evals. There was a lot of I's and me's in his day to day ops...if you know what I mean.
Old 02-15-2013, 2:44 PM

These are some really good advice. I will make sure that there are more "we" and "us" than "I" and "me" during the academy.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 AM

Hi everyone,

I am still in the process of being hired and have gone through all steps of the process successfully thus far.

Hopefully I'll be able to utilize all your advice soon !

One thing I want to share and emphasize with anyone who is reading this thread and is thinking about going to law enforcement is...

Train very hard. And by that I mean you should work your way up to be able to run 8 miles at about a 10 minute per mile pace. You should also be able to do 4 sets of 50 push ups at the end of your 8 mile run. These are just the bare minimum.

Some bigger agencies offer a pre academy workout, and they train you like they would in the academy. That means if you can't keep up in the runs or exercises, your fellow classmates suffer by...you guessed it, more running and more exercise. As one of the instructors stated: "We are as strong as our weakest link."

Thanks again for all your help. I will update this thread from time to time.

Stay safe out there.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:18 AM

Hi everyone,

I am still in the process of being hired and have gone through all steps of the process successfully thus far.

Hopefully I'll be able to utilize all your advice soon !

One thing I want to share and emphasize with anyone who is reading this thread and is thinking about going to law enforcement is...

Train very hard. Like ArgoK1 said
Quote:
Start running now, you'll be doing a lot of it.
And by that I mean you should work your way up to be able to run 8 miles at about a 10 minute per mile pace. You should also be able to do 4 sets of 50 push ups at the end of your 8 mile run. These are just the bare minimum.

Some bigger agencies offer a pre academy workout, and they train you like they would in the academy. That means if you can't keep up in the runs or exercises, your fellow classmates suffer by...you guessed it, more running and more exercise. As one of the instructors stated: "We are as strong as our weakest link."

As a side note, make sure you attend those workout sessions, because they push you harder than you would if you work out by yourself. Also, it gets you accustomed to the training environment in the academy and gives you a good idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Thanks again for all your help. I will update this thread from time to time.

Stay safe out there.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:35 AM

And after all that running in the academy your longest foot pursuit during your career will probably be far short of a mile. My longest so far is about a quarter mile. And yes, I caught him, but I really do prefer chasing in a car or sending in a land shark instead.

Good luck to you on getting picked up by the agency you are hoping for!
Old 04-05-2013, 9:35 AM

Couple words of advice...
Become a good patrol cop first.. Then think about promotion.
Always ride with your windows down.. You can't hear anything with them up.
Once you figure out which path you want to go down (supervision, detective, etc), work harder to achieve your goal.
Don't be a yes man (butt kisser), you will loose respect from your peers.
Don't type and drive at the same time.
If you have a spouse, keep her involved.. Tell her about your day. They worry and are curious about what you do..
Practice Contact and Cover (contact officer talks, cover officer watches)
There is no disgrace in working patrol for your career.
Motors is the best job on the department!!!!!!

The question you have on that book... They will tell you what to read to prepare for promotions. Don't put the cart before the horse.. Become the best patrol cop you can be before putting in for promotions, etc.. There are a lot of folks that promote without doing any time in patrol. Do your time first, you will gain more respect from your peers and or subordinates. Any other questions pm me
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

If you promote without putting in time as a good patrolman, you will suck at whatever else it is you do. There's no getting around putting in good time for patrol. That is the foundation of police work.

As for talking about your work... don't overload your GF or spouse. Yes, they want to know, but somethings, they don't need to know. You want to keep them up all night because you told them for the umpteeth time how close you came to being hurt or killed everytime you did something dangerous? Think about how much you would worry if your spouse did that. Yes, talk to them, but edit smartly.

Have to disagree about motors. Best job on the department, FTO. No way around it. It is what it is. FTO's FTW!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Have to disagree about motors. Best job on the department, FTO. No way around it. It is what it is. FTO's FTW!
Have to agree with this. The best job on a department is FTO.

This is your mark on the department and your trainees are your legacy. It is even better when you meet a newer officer who tells you that his FTO taught him techniques he learned from you...although it is a little scary the first time you hear, "Oh, I've heard about you"
Old 04-05-2013, 2:08 PM

One thing I want to push-ALWAYS take the paper on a call that you can/should. No one likes a new guy who pawns off paper. We had one guy who FI'd somoene, ended up finding a felony warrant. Instead of hooking him up he looked at another deputy and said "can you take this for me?" before walking away. Don't be that guy.

And to the second... focus on the academy (if you havent done one yet), then focus on the policies of your department. (IE use of force, shooting, pursuit,) the promotions will come when they will .

Good luck
Old 04-05-2013, 2:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A stunning testimonial Hank. There was a lot of good advice given. To answer a couple of your questions: Yes, keep in contact with your TO. While you are the trainee it will be a very official relationship. After you get out of his/her car they will always be your TO. Even after I promoted to Sergeant, I used to think, "How would Rick handle this situation?" There is no shame in asking your peers or even those junior to you for advice, they might see something you don't.

You are gonna screw up from time to time. Take your licks and move on. Learn from the experience and don't rationalize.

Best of luck! I did 32 years total. I miss it from time to time, but it was time for me to go.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 04-05-2013, 3:12 PM

FTO= working graveyards, 261 reports, paper units...

Motors= take home ride, no 261 reports, NO graveyards!!! Need I say more

(Was an FTO for 8 years ).
Old 04-05-2013, 3:29 PM

Be Ethical
Don't be a dick
Keep your dick in your pants and only share it with your wife
Spend within your means
Buy very good reliable gear
Don't be lazy
Always follow the rules
Treat people with respect even when they are duchbags
Write excellent reports
Don't complain when your boss asks for you to go above and beyond
Don't be a "union" guy who only does the minimum
Stay professional, look professional, be professional.

Those are just a few I can think of in two minutes!
Old 04-05-2013, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopty View Post
FTO= working graveyards, 261 reports, paper units...

Motors= take home ride, no 261 reports, NO graveyards!!! Need I say more

(Was an FTO for 8 years ).
Motors... TC reports and accident reconstructions and standing around directing traffic at TC scenes... and your skin gets all leathery and chapped from the sun and wind... and you can never have a cool haircut with all the gel while working. Riding for me is for fun. When you get paid to ride, it becomes work.

I don't mind doing all the stuff above as a FTO, because the more I make my trainee work, the more I work, the more I stay sharp, and the more I learn as well. Working and doing all the stuff you said is not a minus for me. I volunteer for nights and weekends because that's where police work gets done.

If I wanted a take home ride and no paper, I would have just gone K9.