Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-16-2013, 5:26 AM

Default Private place for wife to learn (near Fresno)

Ladies (and Gentlemen), I am looking for a private place to take my wife shooting (and hold a firearm) for the first time, the only stipulation (per her) is that it must be somewhere where there is no other gun "within a 100 miles" not literally reasonable, but I get her point).

A little background on her personality: she is a very girly girl who was raised with the basic idea that guns are bad and will kill you if you are near them, imagine a healthy respect for the "gun always loaded" idea taken to an unhealthy extreme. She firmly believes that only active/on-duty military or police officers should carry a firearm. It took 9 years of gentle conversation before ONE gun was allowed in our home, another year to make that a reality (after a direct threat to our family in our home). Reluctantly she has agreed to hold it in a private setting (hence the above). Which, of course, absolutely CANNOT take place in our home.

I am looking for another woman with a similar starting point to offer some input (or husband in a similar starting position) and the location where this could all take place near Fresno.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2013, 7:35 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

have you checked with this group? http://pistolrange.com/classes/

i think you are correct to seek training for her outside the home and by someone other than yourself. best would be a woman instructor and/or a woman only class.

there was a women's group in the southern valley/hills but i don't remember their name......

and i'm betting this place could steer you in the right direction: http://lrstones.com/

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 AM

I started with a handgun safety class, just to see if I could pick a pistol up. Previous to that, I believed it would be like picking a rattlesnake up. Picked it up, shot it later at a private range, instant addict.

A handgun safety class followed by range time is ideal. An all-women class is better. Much less threatening to a beginner, really.

NRA runs all-women classes, Women On Target, http://women.nra.org/womens-instruct...g-clinics.aspx. Local ranges run classes all the time, many of which are women-only. Clearly there's a market for women to learn to shoot without a bunch of guys around.

There's probably some BLM or National Forest somewhere within a couple hours of you. But I still thinka class with range time is best. Much more confidence-building. But don't be too disappointed if she finds she can do it, but doesn't want to. Unlikely, but possible.

Out of curiosity, why is it important to her that there be no other guns around her? Is she afraid of other shooters hitting her? The noise? Possibility of embarrassment? Just wondering because I haven't heard that requirement before.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 01-16-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Old 01-23-2013, 2:18 PM

Hey Jasen, It's Reggie. If you want a structured environment, the Lemoore sportsman club is a good place. It's outdoors, during the week it is usually empty, its a private club, and it's a good range and a good price. If you're looking at some BLM land, it's a bit further drive and you'll have to bring your own stuff. If you register, my wife and I can meet you guys down there and I help her get comfortable with the guns. FB me if you need more info.
Old 02-08-2013, 4:50 AM

Hey everyone thanks for the input/ideas. I think we'll start with a private class and work from there, definite process here.

@BonnieB - She hyperventilates and panics. She literally wouldn't go into the room where the safe is for a week. It's worse than needle for her; she has actually passed out on me twice before for lab tests.

Reggie, I'll check into Lemoore.