Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 PM

Default Tricking out a "starter" 1911 (RIA)

New to the boards and this is one of the sparking interests that got me here Good to meet all of you and I look forward to learning from you all.

I recently purchased a Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical from the local shop (still havent picked it up yet.. gotta wait till the 15th.. god I hate waiting... lol) and I have heard tons of good reviews on them, read plenty online as well. I hear they dont really "need" much of anything to make them better, but I hear in general 1911's have some trouble spots and being a "lower end" model of the gun, the RIA could probably use a little sprucing up in those areas as well.

I hear lots of good feedback on the Wilson Combat line of parts, but being that this is my first 1911 I have no idea which parts would be a good idea to have and which would even make for a nice and easy "drop in" addition. Some of the parts I have been rolling around in my head are as follows:

Extractor
Guide rod (full length or short?)
Recoil spring (should I mess with increasing the resistance or just go for quality?)
Sear
Barrel
Magazines
Barrel bushing

So these are most of the parts I have considered getting from Wilson Combat over time to trick my gun out a bit and increase its reliability. Does anyone have any input on some good mods for these guns? What kind of problems can I expect to run into when trying to fit the parts? How much of this will need to be done by a gunsmith? Lots of questions i know lol but I want to know as much as I can about the platform and how to improve on it. I have always wanted a 1911 primarily because of all these little goodies you can add to it to make it your own contraption. I just want it to be reliable, because its going to double as a defensive backup if my shotgun runs out of ammo