Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-25-2012, 9:12 PM

Default Riverside Sheriff and location of assignment

I'm in the beginning stages of applying with the Riverside Sheriff's Department. I'm curious how deputies are assigned to different areas. Do they take where you live into consideration or are you just sent where they need you? How long do assignments last? I'm wondering because Riverside county is big - when settling into a house do you just plan on driving a while to you're assigned area? Trying to figure out how it all works. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Not RSO, but I know many. Most end up on the west side of the county and everyone I know was told their assignment before they started the academy. Some go straight to patrol, some go to custody or courts.

It's a good department and is growing fast. Lots of opportunity. Good luck!

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 06-26-2012, 7:45 AM

When applying you check the boxes as to which areas you would be willing to work. the more boxes you check the better your odds of getting hired are.
Old 06-26-2012, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2monaro View Post
When applying you check the boxes as to which areas you would be willing to work. the more boxes you check the better your odds of getting hired are.
^This

The more boxes you check, the better chance of getting hire for sure. I have checked every single one and I think I will be heading out to desert area. I do not mind because I really want to work for Riverside County Sheriff's Department. Oh yeah, good luck with the hiring process.

H&K VP9 W/Garret Industries Holster & Mag carrier
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post18075738
Sig P320 9MM Full W/Night sights & custom holster
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1192448
Old 06-26-2012, 8:44 AM

When I was in the OCSA, the deputy recruits found out their assignments about 2-3 weeks before graduation. I was with an outside agency, so I wasn't sure where they initially wanted to work, but Orange County is quite small in comparison to Riverside. All the jail facilities are within a few miles of each other.
Old 06-26-2012, 8:59 AM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

When I was looking into rso there seemed to be a need for Deputies in the eastern part of the county (Indio, Blythe). You could do much shorter time in the jails if you went this route. Other, more desirable beats (west county) meant a much longer time in the jails waiting for a patrol spot to open up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
When I was looking into rso there seemed to be a need for Deputies in the eastern part of the county (Indio, Blythe). You could do much shorter time in the jails if you went this route. Other, more desirable beats (west county) meant a much longer time in the jails waiting for a patrol spot to open up.

Things could have changed over the years, but the deputies I knew said there was actually a waiting list to get assigned to the jail. They said most first assignments were out in the eastern parts of the county, or Moreno Valley and Temecula/Lake Elsinore.
Assignments in Riverside (including jail/civil) were highly desired.

Old 06-26-2012, 3:13 PM

The board of supervisors just approved the hiring of a couple hundred deputies along with the expansion of the indio jail. So i am predicting a big push to the desert areas soon although most stations are short staffed at the moment.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2monaro View Post
The board of supervisors just approved the hiring of a couple hundred deputies along with the expansion of the indio jail. So i am predicting a big push to the desert areas soon although most stations are short staffed at the moment.
$100,000,000 was allocated to build a new jail in Indio. The plan is to start from scratch on the site of an existing county complex. That's is less than half of what is needed to build but it's supposed to happen within the next 4 years. I have heard that the terms of the money requires it be spent within 4 years. The word from RSO admin is that the Indio jail will be bigger than RPDC downtown so yes, there should be a major need for staff.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
Things could have changed over the years, but the deputies I knew said there was actually a waiting list to get assigned to the jail. They said most first assignments were out in the eastern parts of the county, or Moreno Valley and Temecula/Lake Elsinore.
Assignments in Riverside (including jail/civil) were highly desired.
wow, why would anyone want to go from patrol to the jails? Most people hate doing the corrections time. Interesting change.

Old 06-27-2012, 2:01 PM

Quote:
wow, why would anyone want to go from patrol to the jails? Most people hate doing the corrections time. Interesting change.

Probably because some guys would rather live in the Corona/Riverside area then the desert. And they've got some miserable areas you could be assigned to.
A old friend started at RSO. His first assignment right out of the academy was as a resident deputy at a hell hole called "Eagle Mountain". It was a "Kaiser Steel" iron mining town. About the only people they could get to work the mine out there were ex-cons. They even had their own Hell's Angel chapter in the town.
But that was in the 70's, and RCo has grown into a lot of nice communities since then.

Old 06-27-2012, 7:03 PM

Quote:

My SD, most deputies are double trained, ie; custody and patrol. Once you have the patrol training, lots of overtime to be had. Can't say that for detention deputies that are waiting to go to patrol.
Old 01-27-2013, 4:18 AM

Default shed a little light...

I know this is kind of a zombie thread by now but the content made me have to register just to reply....

if you get hired by RSO you are going to the jail...for a very LONG TIME! at least five years. Even if you are a lateral deputy/officer no way around it. we have a decent contract but the assignment is not ideal unless you are looking forward to spending five years in jail....
Old 01-28-2013, 7:38 PM

I heard the long wait in the jails was due to a lack of large numbers being hired for years. Now that they are seriously hiring the recruiters are telling applicants they will spend 18 to 24 months in the jail.

Last edited by K dog; 01-29-2013 at 4:58 AM..
Old 01-31-2013, 7:20 PM

If you are going RSO, you will go to the jail. There are a lot of deps who are waiting for a replacement to go out to patrol. I know a ton of laterals who are going to the jails. 3-5yrs. Guys in Indio have been there five years.

Alpha Raiders
1st Battalion 4th Marines

Old 02-01-2013, 6:03 AM
Calguns Addict

4 to 5 years in a jail for sure unless you request to patrol some place no body wants to go.

H&K VP9 W/Garret Industries Holster & Mag carrier
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post18075738
Sig P320 9MM Full W/Night sights & custom holster
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1192448
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM

Still wont happen

Alpha Raiders

Old 02-01-2013, 2:03 PM

What the recruiters tell you and what the reality is are two different things subject to change at anytime largely based on the amount of money allocated to the sheriff by the board of supervisors

Right now it's at 5+ years custody time on the west end of the county. That is a fact.
Old 02-03-2013, 5:11 PM

Estimated if your lucky 3-4 years on the East end.

Alpha Raiders

Old 02-07-2013, 5:54 PM

So...if a Lateral wants to work Courts and checks the box that says Southwestern Justice Center, the chances of being assigned to Courts is basically is high? That would be a good deal for a Corrections/Law Enforcement Trained Deputy to get if s/he is done with Patrol Duty and wants to normalize his/her family/sleep schedule after YEARS and YEARS of shift work, yes?
Old 02-07-2013, 6:32 PM

Laterals are going to the jail. There are sworn guys in the jail at over 3 years begging to go to courts just for a change and theres nothing available. For new boots youre going to the jail for 4-7 years. They are adding massive amounts of bed space at two jails and need sworn to work there. Sucks, but its a job.