Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Default Deacent Hiking Boots?

I decided to take a girl I just started dating on a hike to Escondido Falls for valentines day and have a picnic there. However I don't have a pair of hiking shoes / boots and would like to get a pair so I don't ruin my shoes. I anticipate having to walk though a stream so the shoes will be fully submerged in water and would like a pair that can holdup to that type of abuse and provide good traction.

The last pair of boots I had I destroyed in the river hiking up to The Bridge to Nowhere.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 PM

Try a lightweight trail runner. As for recommendations, you gotta try them on to see what your feet like.
Old 02-05-2013, 5:56 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

If you just crossing a stream or two carry a pair of Crocs in your pack. They are nice to wear around camp as well.

DIY Ulralight Sandles
http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

more on trail sandals
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=35043
Old 02-05-2013, 6:25 PM

It sounds like you don't want to spend much, but for waterproof I'd get Gore Tex lined boots. I like Solomans. They're light weight and have soft foot bed. Some people prefer a harder foot bed, in which case I'd recomend Asolo. Both boots will be about $200, but you'll have for several years. Buy from REI and you get a great return policy in case they don't work out.
Old 02-05-2013, 6:49 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

If your going to buy a boot. Help out Americans buy American
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=628474
Old 02-05-2013, 7:04 PM

My Dad bought me a pair of vibram soled 8" Red Wing boots for hunting 20 years ago and I'm still wearing them. I coat them with sno-seal every other year or so and they keep my feet dry. A bit of an investment for a one time hike though...

Big 5 usually has some Gore Tex boots on sale that will fit like tennis shoes and work fine for an occasional hike.
Old 02-05-2013, 7:09 PM

What ever boot you decide, break it in B4 you go on the trip. Boots can fit just fine when you try them on the 1st time, but put a few yards on them can make for a miserable trip.
Old 02-05-2013, 7:38 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-mid-high...d-hikers.shtml

I just got my second pair delivered today from here. I guess sale ended, I paid $99.00 free shipping.

Good lightweight boots, good traction, waterproof. I like em...
Old 02-05-2013, 7:43 PM

bates rat boots on la police gear $39
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 AM

If you going to buy a new boat, then you need to keep many things mind like who much boat bear weight, design, price, conforable, reliabitly.

These help to decide which type of boat you like to buy.
Old 02-06-2013, 3:28 PM

If you're gonna be walking in water, don't bother trying to keep your feet dry. So don't get a boot with Goretex, and don't get an all leather boot, or even anything waterproof. Unless the water is never more than 2" deep, after the first stream crossing all it'll do is hold the moisture in and keep your feet soggy.

If you plan on doing a lot of this type of hiking then get a canyoneering boot, those are designed to be quick draining and quick drying. Otherwise for the hikes you describe lightweight trail runners with mesh sides work fine, or even a Keen sandals.

Last edited by ducktapeguy; 02-06-2013 at 3:31 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David99 View Post
If you going to buy a new boat, then you need to keep many things mind like who much boat bear weight, design, price, conforable, reliabitly.

These help to decide which type of boat you like to buy.
lol...hiking boats.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by olhunter; 02-06-2013 at 7:37 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D View Post
It sounds like you don't want to spend much, but for waterproof I'd get Gore Tex lined boots. I like Solomans. They're light weight and have soft foot bed. Some people prefer a harder foot bed, in which case I'd recomend Asolo. Both boots will be about $200, but you'll have for several years. Buy from REI and you get a great return policy in case they don't work out.
+1 for REI. If you are a member you can take them back after wearing them a year later, no box, no receipt, and they will take them back no questions asked. I bought a pair of Vasque waterproof hikers that are super comfortable for about $160.

Whats your budget?
Old 02-06-2013, 8:17 PM

Danner
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 PM

I was looking to spend around 50.00, not too much I know, but I placed an order with Cabellas for 1200 rds of 9mm which should hit my card sometime this year I only placed the order back in December.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
+1 for REI. If you are a member you can take them back after wearing them a year later, no box, no receipt, and they will take them back no questions asked. I bought a pair of Vasque waterproof hikers that are super comfortable for about $160.

Whats your budget?
The most comfortable hiking boot I've bought are a pair of Vasque Wasatch hiking boots at REI. They are $175.00, but the best money I've spent. I used them on a hike to the top of Mount Lassen a couple of years ago and they weren't broken in before I went. Not one hot spot or blister.

I know this is out of your budget, but I'd give you my .02˘

For a $50.00 boot, go to big 5 and try a pair of Hitec's on sale that usually sell for $60.00-$70.00 a pair. I've had good luck with them in a less expensive boot.

Last edited by FLIGHT762; 02-07-2013 at 8:20 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenson View Post
What ever boot you decide, break it in B4 you go on the trip. Boots can fit just fine when you try them on the 1st time, but put a few yards on them can make for a miserable trip.

This^^ The last thing you want in a hike is a big blister on your feet, specially if you wanna impress a girl. Break in the boots really good.

As far as recommendation my suggestion based on my experience would be:

1. Columbia hiking boots. I forgot the model, but I got it from Big 5. Yeah, it's not a 150 dollar boots but I've hiked the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Sequoia NP, Kings Canyon NF, and countless hiking trails in California. It is also my "tactical" boots when I wanna go run and shoot guns. held up pretty well, I've had it for 6 years and it's still going.

2. Military Boot. The ones I have are the USMC issued. What can I say more? They're issued to the troops and was used in all kinds of theater. Mine went through training, deployments, and many humps(hikes) and it's still being used today. It may take some getting used to because it's different from the civilian hiking boots.
Old 02-07-2013, 6:26 AM

I go on a multi-day backpacking trip each year where we usually cover 25-30 miles each time. I've been wearing the same pair of Asolos for the last 200-250 miles, and my next pair (if this pair ever wears out) will be Asolos, too. They're light, super comfortable, and required very little break-in.

Regarding getting your feet wet, as another poster suggested don't try to keep your feet dry (or expect that you will). Wear a good, breathable boot and a proper hiking sock that wicks moisture and you'll hike your wet boots dry. For socks, I'm partial to Smartwool based on great past experience with them.

Both the boots and the socks can be found at REI, but neither is cheap. Boots are $170 or so, and the socks run about $25/pair. Keep in mind that proper gear lasts a long time, though, so you'll be enjoying it for years before you'd ever need to replace it.
Old 02-07-2013, 7:04 AM

Red Wing Model 899 Great for work and the great outdoors.
Old 02-07-2013, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

Meindl or Hanwag.
Old 02-07-2013, 7:40 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShot View Post
I was looking to spend around 50.00, not too much I know, but I placed an order with Cabellas for 1200 rds of 9mm which should hit my card sometime this year I only placed the order back in December.
Looks like a trip to Big 5. they have budget priced hiking boots. use liner socks and you should be fine.Just realize they will have limitations.
A good pair of boots is an investment.I have the heavy leather vibrams, but Asolo makes a good lighter weight trail boot. I'm not a climber just a rough hunter.

Last edited by thomashoward; 02-07-2013 at 7:43 AM..