Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 PM
CGN Contributor

Default Marine to Army ROTC

I EAS from the Marines as a Cpl. (0311) in 2010 and Im currently attending community college. I transfer to Cal State Fullerton by the fall semester and Im seriously considering attending the Army ROTC in order to commission in the Guard. I've already done research and spoke with their representatives, but I'd like to get some info from someone who has done something similar or from someone who might have gone through Fullerton's ROTC. As you all know the information provided by pamphlets and booklets pale to experience- so anything you guys could school me on would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Truck View Post
I EAS from the Marines as a Cpl. (0311) in 2010 and Im currently attending community college. I transfer to Cal State Fullerton by the fall semester and Im seriously considering attending the Army ROTC in order to commission in the Guard. I've already done research and spoke with their representatives, but I'd like to get some info from someone who has done something similar or from someone who might have gone through Fullerton's ROTC. As you all know the information provided by pamphlets and booklets pale to experience- so anything you guys could school me on would be great. Thanks in advance.
PM me if you need some insight.
Old 02-03-2013, 5:22 AM

good thing eric holder is busy hiding from fast and furious to do another armed takeover of rotc office like he did in 1973 at columbia university. it may be safe to do rotc thing with him out of the picture.
Old 02-03-2013, 5:38 AM
Veteran Member

I wish you luck. Remember that as a Marine NCO you've probably already have experienced what it's like to be responsible for as much as an Army officer. Should be a cake walk for you. The hardest part I think would be putting on a blouse that doesn't say U.S. Marines on it once you've already earned the right to do so.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:52 PM

As you may have heard, many members of the National Guard (enlisted and officer) have prior service in the USMC.
Old 02-04-2013, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
I wish you luck. Remember that as a Marine NCO you've probably already have experienced what it's like to be responsible for as much as an Army officer. Should be a cake walk for you. The hardest part I think would be putting on a blouse that doesn't say U.S. Marines on it once you've already earned the right to do so.
Well put.
Old 02-04-2013, 5:56 PM
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the votes of confidence.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I guess I would question what your questions are? I was a ROTC APMS at SDSU for three years so know the system pretty well. If you want to guarantee a reserve commission into the Guard it would be best if you did the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) with the Guard. You go to drill just like your in the Guard.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Bongo,

I'm a class of 1993 alumnus rom Fullerton ROTC. I started out enlisted and when I got out with my GI BIll I enrolled at CSUF. As far as the military drills, training, firearms, etc... you will know more than they will ever know so be patient. You will spend your summers training and if you excel you will have the opportunity to attend Airborne School, Air Assault, or similar Army training before you graduate. The summer of your senior year you will be evaluated at a Cadet Boot Camp where you will compete as a leader for a final rating. As far as the education, it was well worth it. If your squared away you may end up getting a ROTC Scholarship while you are there, which will mean money in your pocket. I ended up having a great 20 year (total enlisted and officer). As far the program now, I can't give you much info. it's been 20 years. As anything else take advantage of the opportunities given to you. One more thing because you are prior service when you get commissioned your be classified as an O1E, 02E, 03E, etc. which means you will get service credit for your prior service time = more money, and you be eligible for promotion sooner.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2013, 8:09 PM

This year will be the first that Cal State Military Reserve OCS and WOC classes graduate with the Cal Guard's OCS candidates at a ceremony with MG Baldwin in August. I know for even our "volunteer" units in the CSMR, it's NO cake walk, but arguably more hours of study and report writing that field exercises & the like with Army or NG OCS training.

My son is shooting for PLC this fall after spending his first year in training as a 4th Division Marine. Should be interesting if I get into OCS this summer and get butter bars ahead of him. LOL

Semper Fi brother...