Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 02-01-2013, 9:22 PM

Default What gun bag to carry for day hikes?

Hi guys. Just curious for recommendations on what to carry my small pistol in for day hikes. I've got iwb holsters only and am looking to see where others store their pistol while on a small day hike. From owb to just throw it in the camelbak, I'm open to recommendations for gear that works well to carry a small pistol plus other goodies. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2013, 9:40 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

5.11 ZAP

Old 02-02-2013, 6:03 AM

Depends on where you are hiking... Sierra's, local trails, privite property?
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 02-02-2013, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls343 View Post
Depends on where you are hiking... Sierra's, local trails, privite property?
It does? I guess I hadn't thought about it that way. I was just thinking type of pack/access. If you're asking to narrow down types of threats encountered on the trail, I'm only worried about the two-legged kind. Never had any problems with non-humans in CA.
Oh and I want it concealed.
Old 02-02-2013, 8:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This one is approved for all hiking locations, even private property. For local trails you might want to review your local laws and ask your neighbors.

Last edited by acorn; 02-02-2013 at 8:26 AM..
Old 02-02-2013, 8:30 AM

This is the best solution that I have found. Fits perfect under any pack and I can carry a G22 w/ TLR-1 and a spare mag. Plus all my other 1st line goods.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...6/Default.aspx
Old 02-02-2013, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

The last thing I want while hiking is something bouncing around my waste or blocking ventilation on my torso. I would just carry in the camelbak or buy a small pocket gun if you want immediate access. What exactly do you carry?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:12 AM

I like the suggestions. It's either G30 or an EMP. I wish Maxpedition made a smaller camelbak type back that held a bladder backpack style instead of all their slings. I can't imagine those gearlslingers are very comfortable.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM

check out gearslinger from maxpedition. Sorry I still do not know how to do links.
Old 02-02-2013, 2:00 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger

Old 02-02-2013, 2:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

5.11 Tactical Select Carry
Old 02-02-2013, 3:23 PM

Yeah but has anyone used the gearslinger? Are they comfortable with weight in them or do they torque your one shoulder?
Old 02-02-2013, 3:26 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Ruger LCP fits in RIBZ Pockets with room to spare

http://www.ribzwear.com/front-pack/
Old 02-02-2013, 3:31 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crya79 View Post
Yeah but has anyone used the gearslinger? Are they comfortable with weight in them or do they torque your one shoulder?
I use one for my tradeshow technical work, and also on casual hikes. I wouldn't want to carry 20+ pounds in it all day, but for carrying water, snacks, and a jacket, it works great.
Old 02-02-2013, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
This is the best solution that I have found. Fits perfect under any pack and I can carry a G22 w/ TLR-1 and a spare mag. Plus all my other 1st line goods.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...6/Default.aspx
$105 for this bag?!?! That's robbery.

Let me just check, you're carrying a gun while hiking in case some crazy people come at you? I hike all the time, and find nothing but the nicest folks.

Although there are some VERY odd gold prospectors in Azusa on the "Bridge to Nowhere" hike. LoL
Old 02-02-2013, 7:52 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel80 View Post
$105 for this bag?!?! That's robbery.

Let me just check, you're carrying a gun while hiking in case some crazy people come at you? I hike all the time, and find nothing but the nicest folks.

Although there are some VERY odd gold prospectors in Azusa on the "Bridge to Nowhere" hike. LoL
I've seen them for $35
Old 02-02-2013, 8:01 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

I've stuffed a Glock 19 in one of these http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

I have stuffed my LCP in one of these http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=70
Old 02-03-2013, 6:56 AM

Something to consider, especially if you are hiking on public trails, is stealth. While most of these suggestions are pretty cool, some just might be a clue for LE or other gun people to realize you might be carrying. From my take, the more non-gun specific and mainstream, run of the mill packs, like a camelback or standard fanny pack works best for me. In these situations, a little .32 auto, works real well as they are small, relatively flat, and they can be tucked away yet accessible.

Again, just a suggestion.
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 02-03-2013, 7:47 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Have seen the Large Swiss Ammo Pouches used as a stealth holster before. bout $7 to 8 at any army surplus store.

I would think the Molle Sustainment Pouch would work.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Fanny pack or something non descript.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-03-2013, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls343 View Post
Something to consider, especially if you are hiking on public trails, is stealth. While most of these suggestions are pretty cool, some just might be a clue for LE or other gun people to realize you might be carrying. From my take, the more non-gun specific and mainstream, run of the mill packs, like a camelback or standard fanny pack works best for me. In these situations, a little .32 auto, works real well as they are small, relatively flat, and they can be tucked away yet accessible.

Again, just a suggestion.
This is great advice. I'm not trying to run around being all tacticool but Maxpedition does make nice stuff. Decisions Decisions.
Old 02-03-2013, 7:47 PM

I carry in a Maxpedition Sitka daily using their universal velcro holster. It utilizes the camelbak pouch which kind of sucks for hiking, and weight distribution is pretty hard to get down in order to make it semi comfortable to wear, but as far as carrying a firearm goes I would take it anyday over a traditional two strap backpack.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-06.../dp/B002XL9ZUA

http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-Un.../dp/B001DZT8BS
Old 02-03-2013, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is great advice. I'm not trying to run around being all tacticool but Maxpedition does make nice stuff. Decisions Decisions.
It sounds like you need to answer a different question... At this point is your primary focus the hike or the gun? Do you want to day pack or tactipack?
Old 02-04-2013, 9:07 AM

I think I've found the best of both worlds.
That'll do the job I'm thinking. Primary focus is the hike of course.
http://shop.camelbak.com/mil-tac-mulesupsup/d/1092
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Steep and cheap had the discontinued chili pepper MULE (not quite the same setup (or color)) a few days ago for $49. Of course it wasn't all tacticool military camo, but if I didn't already have the need fulfilled, I would've bought it. Google just gave me this:

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/...atemonitorsusa
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM

My old school Camelback MULE will store a small hand gun easily.
Old 02-04-2013, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

I'd get a nice pocket gun. Only about 3x the cost of some of those bags. I got a nice S&W j frame that slides nicely in and out of a pocket and is safe and comfortable to carry with a pocket holster. Your going to going hiking for the rest of your life, just get the right gun. Besides if your carrying for two legged protection you want concealed and quickly accessible, not burried in a bag.
Old 02-04-2013, 5:29 PM

I am not a big fan of these huge bags. When I hike, I forge. And I need comfort and serious carry. This packs most compacts, very low pro. Sits over your buckle area if you jog, or under pants when dressing up. Easily slides to the hip. Pistolwear.com

Last edited by RobertSmith; 02-04-2013 at 5:34 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Ruger LCP fits in RIBZ Pockets with room to spare

http://www.ribzwear.com/front-pack/
yup..ribz.
Old 02-04-2013, 6:02 PM

in my pocket (pm9) or in a back pack
Old 02-04-2013, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Fly Fishing chest pack
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 – 1873)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Day hike's I just carry OWB in a Galco concealed holster and wear a button up Columbia hiking shirt. I carry a backpack as well and just slide the hip belt between the gun and my waist with the shirt covering it. Prevents the gun from irritating my side after buckling the waist belt. The gun sometimes prints, but no one ever looks or even knows what it is as long as it's covered. (I am a CCW holder) For long multi day trips I usually just carry exposed or I'll use a 5.11 front pack that holds my gun, snacks, gps, etc.

Reason why I don't like packing my gun in my backpack is because in the event I need it. I probably won't have the luxury of 20-30 seconds to get my pack off and to my gun. Here's an example of why I don't really like putting my gun in my backpack.

This past summer I took the wife and two kids on a day hike with our super tactical BOB dually stroller..lol Sun was going down and we were about 1.3 miles from our vehicle and no one else was on the trail. Had 4 teenagers and maybe early 20's guys hanging out on the trail. Two older ones had obvious gang tats and they were shirtless. One of the younger ones had a rifle in his hand and it looked like they were out to do some illegal target shooting. I see them and I stop at the top of the hill and ask my wife to take over pushing the kids. Unbuckle my waist belt and walk about 10 yards in front of my family down the trail towards the 4 guys.

One of the older ones starts walking towards me with his right hand in his front pocket and I just look at him and say hello. I had my Glock 23 on my hip, easy to access, 14 rounds in my gun, and 13 in a spare mag on my side still concealed. The guy looks me up and down and says "what's up" and backs off a little bit. I slow down to let my wife and kids get a little closer, but I was between them and the 4 guys. My 3 year old sees the rifle and says, "Cool, Daddy that guy has a gun". I say, "He sure does, I used to go out and shoot all of the time like what these guys are doing". I look at the one with the rifle and it wasn't pointed at me or in a ready position. I think the kid was just fascinated how my whole family wasn't freaking out about the gun...lol

We passed without incident and I hear one of the younger guys say, "That old guy wasn't scared that we had a gun. Probably don't want to mess with him". I had my wife and kids walk about 15 yards in front of me and I exposed carried for the remaining mile, I listened for footsteps, and looked back periodically until we were about .5 mile from where we ran into them.

If I had my gun in my backpack in this case I wasn't in a situation, where brandishing a firearm was justified and if they did attack us getting it out of my pack to defend my family would have been nearly impossible. Personally, a holster is my first choice for any kind of carry, except on occassions during long multiday backpacking trips.

Last edited by Supertac916; 02-05-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ares Armor Combat XII Pack. Available in A-TAC FG and AU!

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/AA-CXIIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niLUfZqzdvw
Old 02-05-2013, 6:41 PM

I usually carry in a back pack but Supertac916`s story might have just changed the way I carry from now on.
Old 02-05-2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderhawk View Post
I usually carry in a back pack but Supertac916`s story might have just changed the way I carry from now on.
That's the truth! Although this whole thread has me realizing that A. my day hikes in Napa rarely involve such shady characters, B. in a pack won't save you if something really hits the fan, C. hiking with a gun is starting to make me think I'm paranoid.
Old 02-06-2013, 1:28 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
That's the truth! Although this whole thread has me realizing that A. my day hikes in Napa rarely involve such shady characters, B. in a pack won't save you if something really hits the fan, C. hiking with a gun is starting to make me think I'm paranoid.
You're not paranoid. That would mean your concern is irrational. It's not.

If you've decided to carry while hiking (CWH) then great. But, you cannot predict when danger will strike. So, for you to get any benefit from CWH, you need to carry every time...otherwise, you're just rolling the dice. And at that point, you might as well just not CWH.

Remember, carrying a gun does not make you safer. If you have a gun, you don't then say, "Hey, now that I've got this here gun, I can walk down that trail where I see a bunch of satanic worshipers sharpening their knives and looking for a human sacrifice, because if anything happens I can shoot my way out of there!"

No, you still avoid the known danger spots, because avoidance and retreat are always preferable when possible. The gun is for that situation when you're forced into using deadly force because you or someone else is, or is about to, suffer great bodily harm or death.

Now, I don't care where you hike...if you hike near a population center, then you have a higher likelihood of running into bad people. Period. For that reason, I ALWAYS carry SOMETHING when I hike...LCP or NAA 22mag revolver in a pocket, G23 or G29SF in a paddle holster...whatever. Something, anything.

Now, I've never run into a situation as ST916 described. My hikes are like Gabriel80's for the most part. But, again, I can't predict when my hike will NOT be like Gabriel80's. So I carry.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if my family was subject to violent attack (human or animal) and I left the one tool that would help them at home in the safe...