Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Exclamation FYI: To those Members in South Riverside County - RE: SR79 Shooting Spot

for anyone out there that has ever gone out to this area off SR79s/Temecula Parkway....Spread the word that this spot is no longer a good place to shoot. Don't wanna see any fellow calgunners get picked up for tresspassing/negligent discharge.

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department would like to provide education to citizens of the Southwest region of Riverside County, in order to preserve the rights of property owners and firearms enthusiasts alike. The purpose of this public announcement is to provide information and education in reference to a common location utilized by recreational gun owners for target shooting within the Southwest region.

The location is an unmaintained dirt road extension south of Pauba Road, at the intersection of lower State Highway 79 (See Attached Map). The dirt extension leads to an area utilized for recreational shooting. Historically, this has been perceived as an area located on land under the authority of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The public has utilized this area to target shoot believing their activities were being done lawfully on BLM controlled land which allows for public access and the lawful discharge of firearms.

The public should be advised the Southwest Station has conducted extensive research into this matter based on noise complaints from citizens in the area. A cooperative effort between BLM, the County of Riverside, Dorland Arts Colony and the Riverside County Sheriff's Department has revealed through Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping that the area currently utilized is situated on private property. Furthermore, entering onto the lands from the roadway violates private property owner's rights, in violation of Riverside County Ordinance 10.12.010 and California Penal Code 602.

Members of the community should take this opportunity to educate friends and family members about the above-listed information to avoid unintentionally participating in unlawful behavior. If you need additional information on this topic, you may contact Lieutenant Matthew Aveling of the Southwest Station at 951-696-3000.

Praise be to the Lord, my Rock, who has trained my hands for war and my fingers for battle.Psalm 144:1

Last edited by splitmx; 01-26-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM

thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-05-2013, 9:43 PM

Not that I'd shoot there, but if it's not posted no trespassing....
They can't cite you for that. Owner has to complain IIRC.

What's with the BLM area south of that?
An unarmed man can only flee evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing.

Old 02-06-2013, 6:12 AM
CGSSA Associate

If you call them , will they tell you where you can shoot?
My next Meet and Greet, Rally or Clean Up in San Diego
Please protect me from the evil that I see, and the darkness that I cannot.----Rev.Johnson
Old 02-06-2013, 6:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I haven't shot there but..... looking at the link, it seems the problem is driving across private property to access the land, although they didn't label the "shooting area" as BLM land. BLM land is public land and the public has the right to use it. I'm not sure the private property owner can limit access to land if the road has been used for many yrs and it is the only access. Too many variables for the hassle factor though.
^^^The above is just an opinion.

NRA Endowment Life Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I googled Dorland Arts Colony. Not too hard to figure where the noise complaints are originating from - real or perceived.
CGF Contributor
NRA Golden Eagle

Being north of 60 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Old 03-27-2013, 1:15 PM

SWalt's post reminded me of a story I read while vacationing in Lake Tahoe a few years back. I have mixed feelings (landowner rights) but I would hate to see the public lose access to this recreation spot. If I understand this story correctly, the courts may be on the public's side. Of course someone will need to take this to court to preserve public access. This is all I could find on the matter I referenced above: Friends of Hope Valley - Pleasant Valley Trail

For the record, I hope the Riverside SO catches the person(s) they are looking for.