Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 02-04-2013, 2:53 PM

Default Hypothetical question about receiving a non-compliant rifle

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if you received an AR from an out of state shipper that was in non-Ca compliant form?

I've not had it happen, but I wonder how I'd handle it since I do not have an AW permit.

For the sake of discussion lets just say that I am doing an out of state transfer for a customer, non-FFL shipper.
Old 02-04-2013, 3:34 PM
1/2 BANNED
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Well the shipper has comited a "F" by shipping a AW into CA

you not being an AW dealer can not ship it back or have it in your shop or you will catch a "F"

If this were to happen i would think you would call doj ASAP an have them tell you what they want you to do

I would think they would have someone come get it
650-315-2210

M-F 9:30-6:30
Sat-Sun 9:30-4:00

http://coyotepointarmory.com

Old 02-04-2013, 6:17 PM

I would double check because I'm sure it arrived in CA legal configuration, with a bullet button, separated upper/lower, etc., hypothetically.

Last edited by Toby's Tactical; 02-04-2013 at 6:21 PM.. Reason: Text
Old 02-04-2013, 6:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Tell your customers to have the upper shipped to them and only the lower shipped to you. This way you will not have to deal with this happening, unless the lower is listed by name that is.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 02-05-2013, 5:59 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Ship it back. You don't know if it is a DOJ sting.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 02-05-2013, 7:31 AM

Can one ship it if not permitted for AW's?
Old 02-05-2013, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby's Tactical View Post
Can one ship it if not permitted for AW's?

And these two posts succinctly summarize my question. This seems like a great way for an FFL to get caught in a Catch-22.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM
1/2 BANNED
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You cant ship it
You cant have it in your shop

I would think the best bet would be to call DOJ asap and tell them what happend an ask them what thay want you to do with it

As others have said YOU do not know were it came from

If you ship it you are working out side of your lic
If you work on it you are working out side of your lic
If you have it in your shop your lic dose not cover it

Yes a messy catch 22
650-315-2210

M-F 9:30-6:30
Sat-Sun 9:30-4:00

http://coyotepointarmory.com

Last edited by ASD1; 02-05-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
If it is a sting then it is a very clear case of entrapment.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM

The biggest problem with calling the DOJ us that no one answers the damn phone. I've called many times with questions, have only gotten a call back once, and that person left a number for a line that was never answered.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS Sports View Post
The biggest problem with calling the DOJ us that no one answers the damn phone. I've called many times with questions, have only gotten a call back once, and that person left a number for a line that was never answered.
You have to hangup and call back when the recording answers if you want to get a live person. Usually takes me 3 tries. Another option would be to call the local PD to come pick it up.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Calguns Addict

I called the DOJ and a person actually answered. Since it is not written, it does not help much, but what I was told is that if you receive such a firearm you need to immediately ship it back (which is a problem if it does not come from a FFL or if you don't have a copy of the FFL). I was told that it was "illegal" if you record it in your bound book, which is a Federal issue and the CA DOJ should not be speaking about that. I was also told that you can not take it apart to make it no longer a so-called a-salt weapon.

I was told that if you don't have a firearm overnight, that you don't have to log it into your bound book, which seems strange to me. Of course, you can have multiple bound books, so you could have a secret (to the DOJ) bound book for such firearms.

As an added bonus, I asked about shipping a personally owned CA registered so-called a-salt weapon out of state and I was told that it was legal, although I thought that the law said that only CA FFLs with an a-salt weapon permit was allowed to ship such a firearm from within CA.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein