Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 02-04-2013, 6:41 AM

Default Brass Catchers that Really Work

I went to (insert name of favorite indoor rifle range in North Orange County) yesterday to try out some UltraMax 55gr FMJ i picked up in Virginia and sent home. As always the RSO was busy sweeping up brass as fast as it hit the floor. Brass is as scarce as primers, bullets, and powder so I have a vested interest in holding onto it if reasonably possible. Anyway to avoid being hassled over picking up my brass I bought a UTG Deluxe Brass Catcher for my Sport from Midway and after a few minor adjustments it worked great with no failures to eject and caught 100% of my brass!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855...lon-mesh-black

If you reload this is defiantly worth a look. The UltraMax functioned 100% and easily grouped into 1" at 25 yards. Unlike a Mini-14 I owned in the past the heavy barrel of the S&W Sport can get blazing hot with the POI not wondering.

Cheers,
W-W

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Old 02-04-2013, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_weasel View Post
I went to (insert name of favorite indoor rifle range in North Orange County) yesterday to try out some UltraMax 55gr FMJ i picked up in Virginia and sent home. As always the RSO was busy sweeping up brass as fast as it hit the floor. Brass is as scarce as primers, bullets, and powder so I have a vested interest in holding onto it if reasonably possible. Anyway to avoid being hassled over picking up my brass I bought a UTG Deluxe Brass Catcher for my Sport from Midway and after a few minor adjustments it worked great with no failures to eject and caught 100% of my brass!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855...lon-mesh-black

If you reload this is defiantly worth a look. The UltraMax functioned 100% and easily grouped into 1" at 25 yards. Unlike a Mini-14 I owned in the past the heavy barrel of the S&W Sport can get blazing hot with the POI not wondering.

Cheers,
W-W
these work great except with eotech's.... dipends on where you place your sight on your rail
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

I have a couple of those and they work great.
Before I got mine I made one from a mesh radish bag, a plastic milk carton and duct tape. That one worked great, too.

Old 02-04-2013, 2:01 PM

i have a Caldwell version of that, it' ok, if you let the bag get to full, the opening that goes over the ejection port will start to sag and sometimes cause a case to not eject all the way
Old 02-04-2013, 2:21 PM

I have a 3Bucc for my AR's and an E&L for my mini 14, both work great. I find the 3Bucc one to be my favorite. Just get additional rail attachments and u can swap the brass catcher on all guns. I've used the velcro ones and they are hit or miss depending on the rails you and how much brass is in the catcher. Seems like i always get a few fliers or the catcher shifts and causes the brass to have a Jam.
Old 02-04-2013, 3:37 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

I was shooting with another calgunner once who had made a brass catcher out of an aquarium net from the fish store. It was a larger net for an aquarium, with an opening probably about 5" x 7". He attached it to the pistol grip and bent the handle so the net sat a few inches away from the ejection port. It seemed to work very well.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 02-04-2013, 4:04 PM

This design is old school, but it works: http://www.brasscatchers.com/pics/103.jpg

This one is awesome as well: http://www.3bucc.com/
Old 02-05-2013, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post
This design is old school, but it works: http://www.brasscatchers.com/pics/103.jpg

This one is awesome as well: http://www.3bucc.com/
I have one of those. Works
Great but be sure to put some tape on thr inside of thr plastic lip or it will scratch up your finish
Old 02-05-2013, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

try to write your name on the cartridge...maybe that will help identify what's yours and tell them that u reload and u want to collect ur brass