Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-31-2013, 3:12 PM

Default wiring a PA amp

not so much internet related, but along the lines of electrical / audio engineering.

so i am wiring a PA amp (the 205) to three 8-ohm speakers. 2 of the speakers will be in parallel and the 3rd will be in series off the other speakers. I've found out this will give me a 12 ohm load. on the back of the amp there is a common ground and connections for 4, 8, 16 ohm loads. the manual suggests i connect to the 16 ohm connector with a 12 ohm load.

my question is what is the difference between all the connections. i know the lower the ohms, the more draw there is on the amp. but what i'm getting is why are there different ohm connection options on the amp itself. does the amp output at different levels for each ohm connection?? tia
Old 02-04-2013, 7:54 AM

You should follow the guide use shielded braided wire and put the resistor across the contacts on the horn or speaker that requires the load.

Try a google search on bogen amps for info.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-04-2013, 9:00 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

The different connections allow proper impedance matching in order to deliver the maximum power to the speakers. If you want to play it safe connect the 12 Ohm speakers to the 8 Ohm output. That way, you won't be over driving the speakers. Did you check the power rating on your speakers? The series speaker will have to handle 4X the power than the each of the parallel speakers.
Old 02-04-2013, 9:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

what amp? what speakers? can you do 25 or 70 volt?