Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-03-2013, 5:15 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Exclamation CGSSA Call to Action: Gun Show in Del Mar

CGSSA - CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association

This has been upgraded to a Call to Action! If you can please attend the meeting. information is listed below

Quote:
Gun Show in Del Mar

San Diego county board of directors is requesting the gun show be discussed at the Feb 12th meeting.

If you would like to voice your opinion regarding the future of “Crossroads of the West Gun Shows” at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, please send your correspondence to: info@sdfair.com
Quote:
Date: Tuesday, February 12
Time: 1:30pm
We invite you to attend and take part in Public Comment during the meeting to voice your opinion.
Further questions.

Linda Zweig
Media Relations and Public Information
22nd DAA/Del Mar Fairgrounds
2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd.
Del Mar, CA 92014
”Crossroads of the West Gun Shows” at the Del Mar Fairgrounds

Bob Templeton, owner of Crossroads of the West Gun Shows, worked with members of the California State Assembly and Senate in 1999 to craft rules governing conduct and activities at gun shows in the state.

The result of that collaboration between legislators, law-enforcement and Templeton was Assembly Bill 295, the gun show regulatory bill. It was enacted into law and became an integral part of the California Penal Code.

California law already addresses all of the issues currently being discussed at the federal level.

Crossroads of the West Gun Shows: A 22 year history at the Del Mar Fairgrounds with no incidents and a clear record with all law-enforcement agencies, federal, state and local.

California has the most strict laws in the nation regarding activities at gun shows.
  • 1. No firearms may be sold by individuals at the show unless they are processed by a fully-licensed dealer.
  • 2. All firearms buyers are subjected to a rigorous background check by the California Department of Justice and the federal NICS system.
  • 3. No firearms are delivered at the show. A buyer must wait 10 days until their application to purchase has been approved by California Department of Justice.
  • 4. The buyer may then pick up their firearm from the transferring dealer at the dealer's licensed premises.
  • 5. No "assault weapons" are sold at the show. California state law bans military- style semi-automatic firearms from sale or transfer in the state, either privately or at a store or gun show.
  • 6. No high-capacity magazines are sold at the show or in stores in California. Any magazine or ammunition feeding device offered for sale in California may not hold more than ten rounds.
  • Federal, state and local law-enforcement officers are present at all Del Mar gun shows. The California Department of Justice has several undercover officers in attendance at all southern California gun shows.
  • Additionally, federal B.A.T.F.E. undercover officers are in attendance at the show, and San Diego County Sheriff’s Department officers are present and active in surveillance of the show to ensure that all applicable laws are being complied with. These officers are present in uniform and in an undercover status.

Here to help

Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association
CALGUNS official 501 C3 Non-Profit

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

Last edited by pennys dad; 02-05-2013 at 6:22 AM..
Old 02-03-2013, 5:16 PM
CGSSA President

saved for additional information

Here to help

Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association
CALGUNS official 501 C3 Non-Profit

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:24 PM

E-mail sent
Old 02-04-2013, 8:42 AM
Snoot lickin' good!
CGN Contributor

Just sent them an email.
Old 02-04-2013, 4:48 PM

Here is the reply e-mail I received:

Hello Ken.
Thank you for taking the time to write.
The Board Meeting will take place at 1:30pm next Tuesday, February 12 in the Board Room here at the Fairgrounds.
We invite you to attend and take part in Public Comment during the meeting to voice your opinion.
Meanwhile, I will also pass this on to our General Manager.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Linda

Linda Zweig
2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd.
Del Mar, CA 92014
Old 02-05-2013, 1:35 AM
Veteran Member

Good luck with the show...

Sounds like the Feinstiens and Bloombergs will be attending!
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-05-2013, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Good luck with the show...

Sounds like the Feinstiens and Bloombergs will be attending!
Those of us in the political and historical realm refer to them as progressives. I suggest folks who dont know about them get educated... heres a teaser

Who do you think the Nazis got the idea for mass extermination from?
Old 02-06-2013, 9:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Emailed comments.

Cap
In the final analysis, rights in a Republic are protected by the people themselves. If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.... Keep educating your neighbors and friends about the legacy of freedom that founded this nation and remind them what it takes to keep it free. --Don Kilmer
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I sent this email this morning:

Hello,

I have attended numerous Crossroads of the West Gun Shows and spent lots of money at these events.

The events are safe, secure and well organized.

As I am sure you are aware there is NO GUNSHOW LOOPHOLE in California, and no reason to suspect anything illegal or unsafe happends at these shows.

I hope you will support the shows!

and found this reply in my inbox when I got home:

Thank you.
I will pass this on.

Linda Zweig
2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd.
Del Mar, CA 92014
858 - 792 - 4262
Cell: 619 - 925 - 8430
lzweig@sdfair.com
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM

I will be sending an email shortly and will be trying to make it to the meeting.

I just pulled up some data that may or may not be useful but should be addressed when discussing the statement
"A 22 year history at the Del Mar Fairgrounds with no incidents and a clear record with all law-enforcement agencies, federal, state and local."

It should be noted that on opening day of 2011 15 people arrested on suspicion of drunken driving, two were arrested on suspicion of drug possession.

Opening day of 2012 was even worse -
http://blog.sandiegodrunkdrivingatto...t-del-mar.html

It appears that arrests on one day of horse racing far exceeds that of the entire Del Mar Gun Show.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 AM

Email sent and I will be attending and speaking.
Old 02-09-2013, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

I love how meetings like this are always in the middle of the work day to avoid having to hear from working people.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-09-2013, 8:16 AM

That's because the fine ladies of Del Mar don't like to drive at night.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Omg, I think I'd rather be waterboarded than have to listen to the nonsensical rantings of progessive Delmartian stay at home elitists! But Ill take one for the team and show up, since Im unemployed. Maybe Ill stop by pizza port for a sharkbite ale afterwards in order to get the taste of stupid ideas off my pallet!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 AM

I'll take off a bit from work to show my support!
Old 02-09-2013, 4:15 PM

Going to a meeting and pointing out that California has "the most stringent gun laws" of the nation and that we are all law abiding citizens to those laws are a point of fact.

Try and get into the gun business and you invite regulatory organizations at the Fed, State and local level into your business. Even inviting citizens who are your neighbors who actively oppose you when trying to get a variance to the zoning in your area and who would trade in your rights to satisfy their feelings.

Methinks that this wont be the venue to ask this question, but there will be a time in the not too distant future when the question must be asked. When are enough gun laws enough?

The battles of Lexington and Concord were about:
A. Taxes
B. Arms, munitions and military supplies
C. None of the above
D. All of the above

If you picked B. you are correct.

I am not advocating resistance but, as a student history, it is good idea to remember WHY the second amendment was installed into the Bill of Rights and what it has meant for the individual/people of the various states. That the inherent right to self defense is enjoyed by ALL freemen.

It would also be a good reminder that exercising our/your right to peaceably assemble and speak is well worth the economic challenge that might be incurred by going to this forum. Should the perception be promulgated that it would either be economically or politically expedient to shut down The Crossroads of the West, it would be, because the perception was not shaped through resistance to a minority of individuals who believe it would be OK to do so.

Bolshevik (meaning MAJORITY) was absolutely opposite to reality. A small vocal minority was able to shape and influence the outcome of the Russian revolution.

On a tangent, back to point. Go to the meeting and state your views.

Nuff said.

Wamo556
Old 02-09-2013, 7:56 PM
CGN Contributor

Email sent. I will be leaving class early in order to attend. Will be dressed nice, yet may not be speaking. Perhaps I'll be motivated by others, or may just reiterate what i stated in my email.

Please, if you have any extra talking points/data, post some ideas. I want to present us (if i speak) in the best way possible. I don't want to be a nervous, stammering idiot.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 7:59 PM

Well, they don't ban dog shows there because a random pit bull mauls somebody to death.
Old 02-09-2013, 8:11 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalXD View Post
Omg, I think I'd rather be waterboarded than have to listen to the nonsensical rantings of progessive Delmartian stay at home elitists! But Ill take one for the team and show up, since Im unemployed. Maybe Ill stop by pizza port for a sharkbite ale afterwards in order to get the taste of stupid ideas off my pallet!
I think i'll join you. I'll be the good looking guy in a tie. Just kidding, i'm ugly.

Old 02-10-2013, 7:09 PM

Email sent
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM

I'm gonna try to go, I was thinking about writing out what i want to say ahaed of time so I dont go off on a tangent, or forget a point I want to make. I've never been to anything like this before, how long is each person going to get to speak? do you just have a few seconds to say "i dont support this" or do they give you a couple minutes each?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger13 View Post
I'm gonna try to go, I was thinking about writing out what i want to say ahaed of time so I dont go off on a tangent, or forget a point I want to make. I've never been to anything like this before, how long is each person going to get to speak? do you just have a few seconds to say "i dont support this" or do they give you a couple minutes each?
Also to add to this, I've been taking general notes all day on a range of topics. Will we need to cover the basic issues or are we only there to voice support of the del mar show itself ( 22 safety record, follows all guidelines, local and federal presence, money helps community and state and that's it)?
Old 02-11-2013, 9:53 AM

If you do speak publicly, may I suggest you start your comments like so:

My name is "XYZ", I live in the city of "YOUR CITY." I speak in favor of hosting the gun show because... "AND THEN LIST YOUR REASONS."

I've dealt with many public meetings over the years and it helps people immediately understand which side of the issue you're on when you preference your statements with the "SPEAK IN FAVOR OF..." clause.

Good luck to those that attend.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
If you do speak publicly, may I suggest you start your comments like so:

My name is "XYZ", I live in the city of "YOUR CITY." I speak in favor of hosting the gun show because... "AND THEN LIST YOUR REASONS."

I've dealt with many public meetings over the years and it helps people immediately understand which side of the issue you're on when you preference your statements with the "SPEAK IN FAVOR OF..." clause.

Good luck to those that attend.
Perfect. Will mirror this and add very quick comments on the safety record, all guidelines observed, fed/local presence of police, and contrast to Racetrack's safety record if their arguments are based on safety of public.

Looking forward to speaking. Also for those unsure as where the boardroom is located, it is near the fire station entrance. Look for the human resources sign and it will guide you.

See you soon!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM

I will go if I can. Banning the gun show would be motivated by nothing more than personal discomfort with firearms as pointed out in the WSJ 2a article. It is discrimination in not allowing a particular law abiding group of citizens equal access to a public facility.
Old 02-11-2013, 1:09 PM

I'd love to be there to show support, but that's smack-dab in the middle of a work day for me.

If anyone is looking for a talking point, you can take mine with you:

The gunshow's are more then just a swap meet. example: My wife and I find them very educational as well. We like to awe over the antique firearms that are usually on display and learn about their history which most folks love to talk about with passion.

Good luck at the meeting guys!
Old 02-11-2013, 3:07 PM

Good luck to all attending!

FWIW, I may be in the minority but if they keep stuffing it into too small an area a change of venue my not be a bad idea. They really need to add a building, add or expand entrance, etc.

Instead of cancelling they need to expand it.
Old 02-12-2013, 5:54 AM
C3 Leader

Do we have a Calguns booth at this meeting?

Great time to pass out some literature.

Any blue Volunteer polo's going?

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers

CALGUNS.NET logo stickers and patches (3 inch) are here

The Gulag Archipelago - Online read .pdf
Old 02-12-2013, 9:16 AM

I know where the fairgrounds are but does anyone have specifics on the location of the Board Room?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyte74 View Post
I know where the fairgrounds are but does anyone have specifics on the location of the Board Room?
Look up a few posts at my comments.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Email sent.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 02-12-2013, 2:10 PM
CGN Contributor

Update:

I was the first public commenter to speak and was very nervous- I rarely speak publicly-, but am happy to support the Fairgrounds against the city of Del Mar.

Another gentleman briefly gave his support for the show as well. The final speaker came from a lovely woman who really nailed home the most important issues; historical and educational access to information, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd amendments, as well as the legalities of differential access to public places by certain groups which is a civil rights issue. I'm happy they were both there, and also happy for those who did not speak, but showed up for support.

Great job, guys and gals!

Last edited by AdamSD; 02-12-2013 at 2:14 PM.. Reason: silly phone
Old 02-12-2013, 5:07 PM

Oh hey, Adam, thanks, I'm the woman who spoke. Adam did a great job as well expressing support for the gun show. Nice to have speakers that were articulate and educated and well informed of the issues. What I found most interesting during the board's presentation was a Mr. Watson who sounded as if he was their legal guy talking about what a bad idea a ban was. Apparently there is a short list of major uses for public fairgrounds and gun shows are specifically noted. Mr. Watson said if they did a ban it would be followed by numerous lawsuits, all of which they would lose. It gave me a lot if hope, actually, that law and the constitution may indeed prevail despite the hysteria. The various folks in control of government around here may not like us very much, but clearly there are limitations to how badly we can be treated
Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 PM

hi pennys dad!
thanks for sharing links.