Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 AM

Default called police yesterday, now a question.

So I just want to get some LEO opinions on this one. There is also quite a bit of back story, but I'll start out with just the situation yesterday. And this is the first time I have ever called the police dept.

I step out of my house yesterday afternoon and see a vehicle(which I recognize) park across the street and a couple houses down. They pull up part way on the sidewalk and more crooked than my nose, part in front of another's driveway, almost hit a mailbox. I watch two guys get out, both of which are known junkies, one I know is a felon. I am pissed, it is obvious these guys are not sober. they cross the street to go to a house, which everyone around here knows has some questionable business going on.

So I call the police dept, simi valley, and tell them about the vehicle. She asks if anyone is still in the car. I say I'm not sure. then she transfers me to the "abandoned vehicle line" where it asks me to leave a message. I hung up.

Is this standard procedure? I imagine if I left a message, parking enforcement would have come the next day, too late. I thought about calling back, but by then, about 15 minutes later, they were already leaving. They always say if you see something unusual, call to report it. I did, but it wasn't an abandoned vehicle.
Do you guys think this was handled properly?

And a little more of the backstory, this guy, (I took out the link because maybe it could be deem slanderous or something), was the passenger. I used to know him because we went to school together. I also used to talk to him on occasion. about a month ago we had words, and I told him he wasn't welcome around anymore because I could tell he was using again.
"Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.
"Bubba" is what he and his ugly and ruined rifle really are.
First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.
Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story.

Last edited by paratroop; 02-01-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM

Based upon your version it would appear that it was not handled correctly. Next time call back and ask to speak with the watch commander.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Im sorry, but i have to call fumble on this. Next time call again, ask for the watch commander tell him whats going and he should send a couple of officers out. If he blows you off talk to the Captain the next day. Always call 911 rather then get involved
Old 02-01-2013, 1:04 PM

Couple of things:

1) Assuming the PD is like most departments out here, the person you called on the phone was a dispatcher and not a cop. Many of them don't think like cops and frequently do... interesting things with calls for service or the information callers provide to them. This is not a dig at dispatchers (most do a fantastic job) but like I said they are civilian employees whose main goal is to simply dispatch/re-route calls as fast as possible. Watch commander or a dispatch supervisor may be worth calling if you are really bothered by this situation.

2) In a nutshell, unless you are willing to testify to the fact that you saw the driver get out of the vehicle (and he winds up, in fact, being DUI) he cannot be arrested for the charge without your testimony. If he refuses to come out of the house the police aren't going in after him.

All this to say, the department may be understaffed/just a busy day, dispatch probably has directives to re-route calls to other hotlines when possible, and additionally dispatchers don't always think about what kind of goodies (for the cops) might come from a call for service (possibly some dope or maybe stolen property) as opposed to simply trying to get that call cleared out. Could it have been handled better? Probably, I think at least making up a call would have been the right thing to do. At least if an officer was in the area maybe he could swing by (even if know crimes other than maybe a parking violation were in fact committed).
Old 02-01-2013, 1:42 PM

I know the first thing I wanted to go do is bust up some noses, but that is not really an option these days, and I am not a fan of getting stabbed. I really didn't think it warranted a 911 call, but maybe it did? I know the person answering the phone is probably not a cop, and I am not the kind of person to go make a complaint.

I guess I just wanted some opinions on what could have been done differently, on both sides of the fence. I will just keep an eye out for these scumbags, and try again if the situation is the same, or worse I guess. You know I heard alot of sirens that day too, maybe everyone was really busy. Maybe I should get more involved in the community.

Any Simi cops on calguns? pm me.
"Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.
First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.
Old 02-01-2013, 2:07 PM

I always tell people this on calls when they tell me feel dumb for calling 911:

If you get that hinky feeling about a situation or person, make the call. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. When we get the calls, we know where to focus our attention

... assuming that department is staffed to do prevention.

In this case, you got shuffled along. It may very well be a department that is understaffed and unable to investigate a ****ty parking job/DUI. Our call takers will shuffle calls that they know we can't work. Most of the time it's a district sergeant that makes the call, cancelling the call because there is nothing we can do and are slammed with stabbings, shooting, hot prowls, etc...

Like others have said, if you're not happy with the way it was handled, just ask to speak to a patrol supervisor. Meet them away from your home if retribution is a factor. To get more mileage, please remember that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2013, 2:08 PM

I don't work for Simi but where i work in So Cal this would be unaccetable and would be corrected by the Watch Commander. I know i blew off calls in my first couple of years because i wanted the cool calls and got my a@$ chewed off 4the it. I learned my lesson and handle every call they give me.
Old 02-01-2013, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
I always tell people this on calls when they tell me feel dumb for calling 911:

If you get that hinky feeling about a situation or person, make the call. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. When we get the calls, we know where to focus our attention

... assuming that department is staffed to do prevention.

In this case, you got shuffled along. It may very well be a department that is understaffed and unable to investigate a ****ty parking job/DUI. Our call takers will shuffle calls that they know we can't work. Most of the time it's a district sergeant that makes the call, cancelling the call because there is nothing we can do and are slammed with stabbings, shooting, hot prowls, etc...

Like others have said, if you're not happy with the way it was handled, just ask to speak to a patrol supervisor. Meet them away from your home if retribution is a factor. To get more mileage, please remember that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Good luck.
I get what you are saying, and I understand maybe I should have asked for someone else. And I am all about honey, never vinegar. I come from a big military/law enforcement family and I am not trying to bash anyone. I live in a very safe city and knowing some of the areas that some of you all work in, something like this is not a priority. On my street with about two dozen children running around, junked up felons are a priority to me.

On the other hand, what I feel might be important is not an emergency. At what time is it appropriate to dial 911? In your opinion would 911 be appropriate for this situation?

Should I have left the "abandoned vehicle" informaation?
Old 02-01-2013, 3:14 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

FYI: The OP asked for LEO opinions, so if you are not a leo, please do not respond. Unless you are known to be a leo or if you ID yourself as one in the post (and I pretty much know who the leos are who post), like two did, you will not be considered a leo and your post will be deleted.

ZombieZoo, coming into the leo forum and complaining about leos is not the thing to do. Obviously you did not read the rules for this specialty forum, so good by.
Old 02-01-2013, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
FYI: The OP asked for LEO opinions, so if you are not a leo, please do not respond. Unless you are known to be a leo or if you ID yourself as one in the post (and I pretty much know who the leos are who post), like two did, you will not be considered a leo and your post will be deleted.

ZombieZoo, coming into the leo forum and complaining about leos is not the thing to do. Obviously you did not read the rules for this specialty forum, so good by.
Thanks boss. I have much respect for many members here, and many of those are leo/former leo. So much knowledge and experience here, and then you get those "other guys"

Also, the two guys left on here were the two I thought were real cops, thanks.

Last edited by paratroop; 02-01-2013 at 3:24 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

What did you tell the dispatcher/call taker? They get slammed pretty hard from time to time, probably more so than us lowly patrol guys did. It could be that she misunderstood you or just plain did not get it. If you say suspicious vehicle parked across the street, it may not get the same response as saying that two guys just got out of a car and headed toward such and such, they look like they may be intoxicated. Again it may come down to how busy they are also.
Old 02-01-2013, 3:42 PM

I described pretty much how i described it in the post. I left out the fact that they were junkies and a felon. I stressed the fact that they looked high/drunk (if you saw how they were parked you wouldn't have even needed to see the driver to know that though). But in no way did I say I think it was an abandoned vehicle. I wish those dirtbags hit that mailbox, at least maybe someone would have cared.
Old 02-01-2013, 3:44 PM

Also I get they may have been busy, lots of sirens yesterday. I'm not sure what was going on, it wasn't raining.
Old 02-01-2013, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've restored Spanky's post since I've been advised he is a retired leo. I apologize for that Spanky; you are one I evidently wasn't aware of.
Old 02-01-2013, 5:34 PM

I also apologize Its not that I didn't think you were the real deal spanky, it's just hard to remember everybody and everything. Your recommendation is actually what I will do the next time if the need shall ever arise.
Old 02-01-2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, what I feel might be important is not an emergency. At what time is it appropriate to dial 911?
If you feel that is, it is. Emergencies are very subjective.

Quote:
In your opinion would 911 be appropriate for this situation?
That's a tough one. I wouldn't call 911, myself. I would call a buddy on-duty and give him a tip to look for these turds. Call 311 and explain the situation. ask for "increased patrol checks" of your neighborhood. Just explain why you want them. They'll record it and put it in the system. If you're not happy with their response to your request, ask for a field supervisor to discuss it with you, that's their job.

Keep this in mind. Patrol units don't run Willy Nilly all over the city. They have beats or areas they're responsible for. Some officer, or officers, are responsible for your neighborhood. Believe me, they want to know where the scumbags live/play.
Old 02-01-2013, 6:01 PM

Based on the information in the original post, it appears that the OP made a parking complaint, of some sort, at least that is what I read. While the OP may have known the history of one of more of the subjects, it appears he did not relay that information on to the dispatch/complaint desk staff. I suspect if the OP had told the dispatcher that he believed that there was “narcotics activity” going on or that it appeared both the driver and passenger of the vehicle were UI, he would have seen a very different response.

Words mean things. What exactly did the OP relay to the dispatcher? Based on the fact that he was transferred to a parking complaint line it appears that the dispatcher believed he was making a parking complaint.
Old 02-01-2013, 7:48 PM

Eric B, thank you very much.

I did stress the words high/drunk to the telephone operator.

At no time did I suggest it was an abandoned vehicle. Parking enforcement could have come out and chalked the tires if they really wanted to I guess.

Last edited by paratroop; 02-01-2013 at 8:19 PM.. Reason: much respect 003
Old 02-01-2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
I've restored Spanky's post since I've been advised he is a retired leo. I apologize for that Spanky; you are one I evidently wasn't aware of.
I guess I was under the radar so to speak. Not a problem at all.

Paratroop, hope it all works out for the best. As someone noted, perhaps you got a business line and not the phone line into dispatch. Simi is a good operation and their officers like to work.
Old 02-01-2013, 8:34 PM

Allright, I am pretty sure I know what to do if there ever is a next time. Thank you all for your responses and advice. I love living in simi, it is nice and safe and I know part of the reason it is that way is because the SVPD are out there working.
Old 02-01-2013, 9:33 PM

I have an academy partner that works Simi and I know they are big on community involvement. If you have the time maybe go in and talk with the Watch Sgt and let him know whats up. Maybe try and get the local patrol officer to swing in and get a number for him. When I was on patrol i had a phone just for the public that I would give the number out for. Making friends with the local patrol guys will do wonders.

Good Luck.

John 15:13

donate to support the cause
http://shop42a.com/

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 AM

Apparently I am under the radar as well since I don't see my prior post. You didn't do anything wrong, based on your responses I would just ask to speak to a beat officer for your area from a shift when the shenanigans are happening
Old 02-02-2013, 12:35 AM

Sounds like it was poorly handled by the agency it was given to.

This is quite common where we have neighbors that call in their drunk/drug intoxicated under neighbor. I've arrested people in their own home based on the account of seeing their neighbor driving and potentially under the influence. Granted, there are MANY other circumstances that warrant the arrest and NOT every time is there an arrest. (Review 40300.5 VC and you'll see what I'm talking about)

No agency should have the ability to "blow off" their calls so to speak. If you want to, I suggest you speak with the Sergeant or Supervisor for that specific shift about the incident. Let him know your concerns and he'll relay it down to the troops.

Law Enforcement officers are public servants and as such, shall provide a public service. I hope you have better luck next time around.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 AM

Sounds like the call taker blew you off....

Id be all over an 11 5 hook and if i knew out dispatch or records blew that type of call off to the CSOs my foot would be in there..... well...you know.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM

1. We don't know EXACTLY what was said (and how) on either side of your conversation.
2. The people who answer the phones aren't always sworn officers.
3. Policies and procedures VARY from department to department.
4. When you called, all you had was a possibly improperly parked vehicle. The driver had POSSIBLY been under the influence but was no longer driving and no one was in the car.

At that point, IMO based on your brief narrative, there was NO emergency and No priority. If this had been in my area and I had been taking the call, I would have put in a routine call for service to check the parking job and the vehicle, possibly make an attempt to contact the owner/driver, and possibly make contact with the informant (if desired). Calls are triaged and your particular incident would have been pretty far down on the totem pole.

If, OTOH, those idiots were blasting around and around the neighborhood/block driving recklessly WHILE you were calling, then that would be more of a Priority call.

If they left prior to LE arrival, you could always call back and update the information - possible DUI vehicle, description, last seen direction, how long ago, possible destination, etc.

If you have a "problem house", you can always pass on as much information about it to SVPD and request them to conduct patrol checks or pay a little more attention to the place - response will depend on the quantity and quality of info and availability of resources.
Old 02-02-2013, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

Since I don't know exactly what you said it's hard to form an opinion. I can see how the call would have been generated as low priority though.
Old 02-05-2013, 7:30 AM

Hate to disappoint people, but where I work this would be an "info only" call. I.e., not given any priority, just a heads up for cops in the area. And unless it was a motor unit or a guy assigned to a traffic car that night, a parked possible 152 driver who is now inside isn't getting contacted. Granted, if he really is as big of an S bag as the OP makes him to be, he will f up again and get caught.