Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 PM

My son who is a Bio-engineering major decided at the end of his freshman year in college (this past May) that he wanted to serve his country and finish is college education later, even giving up his academic scholarship. We were not surprised at his decision.

Since we are a Air Force family, that was his choice. It took months to get a recruiter to talk to him. Since we live in a remote area, the closest recruiter(s) are at least 100 miles away. We called recruiters all over, at least a dozen offices, for months. Not one called back. Ever. Some you could not even leave message for. And forget about getting a response to emails (from the USAF recruiting website).

Even driving down and by-chance finding someone in the office (most offices were closed - during the day!) the recruiter told us his was 'busy' and would call up back the next day. Never heard from him again. Even after leaving at least a dozen voice messages. Very, very discouraging.

We finally got a-hold of a live one over the phone and told him the problem we had been having and I think he took sympathy on my sons plight. He asked what seemed like a 100 questions. Any wrong response was a automatic DQ. After passing the verbal test, the recruiter wanted to know his AVSAB scores, which he did not have since the AVSAB was given on at the same time as the SAT's.

The recruiter set an appointment for the following week to come down and take a AVSAB pre-test. He passed without missing a question. That really got the recruiters attention. Suddenly the previous '6-8 months' to go to MEPS was reduced to 'what are you doing next week ?'

He went to MEPS and passed the physical's and took the AVSAB. He scored 95+ in every area. That really got their attention.

He was given 7+ pages of jobs he was eligible for and was told to choose 10 and he would be guaranteed one of the ten. He then entered into the Delayed Entry Program.

After 4+ months he his still waiting to hear on what job he will get and when he will ship out to boot camp. The recruiter is telling him it is usually a 6-8 month wait.

All in all it has been a very frustrating process. Much different than that of 30 years ago!

Thank goodness we finally found a good recruiter, even if it it took months and months and trying no fewer than a dozen different recruiting offices.

Now just waiting.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

The one thing about the Air Force, is that there is never a shortage of people trying to get in it. Especially these days with the job market the way it is. I spent 24 years as a zoomie, best thing that ever happened to me.

- Alejandro Gillick
Old 01-12-2013, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

So... what happened?
Old 01-18-2013, 2:23 PM

As everyone has said...New recruiter...I got Jerked around when I went to go back in after a 10yr Break in Service...1yr of wasted time with 2 BS NG recruiters and ended up in the AF Reserve in 30days from the time the recruiter called me on the Phone...Green to Blue baby...But Im old now so it suites me fine....and Travis is a Nice base.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:03 PM

Yea, your recruiter was just fartin around or something, im currently in the DEP for the Marines, i took my asvab, week later finished all my paperwork, day after that i was in LA MEPS swearing in.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:47 PM

My neighbors son enlisted in the AF last September and was sent to basic in Texas the next month. Tell your kid to come down to L.A. and join.
Old 02-02-2013, 9:03 AM

My son just received his AFSC and reporting date for boot camp. He ships out in March for basic training. He was selected for tactical jet aircraft maintenance.

He has been hitting the gym pretty hard getting ready for basic and is very, very excited to know what he is going to do and when. He got his second AFSC choice (first was avionics).

7 months from MEPS to basic.

This is the same career field that his grandfather/my dad entered the USAF in back in 1951. He retired as a E-9 after almost 30 years of service. He will be going to the same bases for basic and tech school as well.

Last edited by stevepsd; 02-02-2013 at 9:07 AM..
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
The thought of being sold off as a ' sale' leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
I think you answered yourself right there. The military is like any other employer and if you are just going to be trouble for them good luck -- because you will do things no employer will ask of you -- A LOT of things and if you complete a career the military will have spent $$$$ of our taxpayer bucks on you.

If facebook is kicking your ***.. good luck.