Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-26-2013, 4:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default What's your experience with stolen guns?

In another thread discussing gun safes, HiveDR posted the following. I think his advice is spot on. -just about anything will make a difference in most cases.

Does this ring true based on your experiences? Do any of the LEOs recall cases where guns were stolen out of a gun safe--cheap or otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveDR. View Post
. . . As a Ret. LEO I do not recall in two decades ever taking a stolen firearms report on a gun that was secured in a properly installed safe. Nor do I recall any of my piers doing so. We took plenty of stolen firearms reports form burglarized homes where guns were not secured.

Buying a safe (low or high end, big, small or tiny) and having it properly installed should be a priority once you become a gun owner. . .
Old 01-26-2013, 7:02 AM
Banned

Not really my buddy is a former dep and when his house was burged they ripped his safe right off the wall. It was small but it was still anchored to the wall
Old 01-26-2013, 5:55 PM

I have seen home security camera footage of 5 guys manhandling a large safe into an SUV. I don't know if/how the safe was secured.
Old 01-26-2013, 6:09 PM

I recently lag bolted my 12 gun stack on to the floor joists.

I've had one pistol stolen 8 years ago. It was a Ruger P89 that was in a "hidden" drawer on a dresser. Unfortunately, the tweeker scum overturned the god damn thing & they found the pistol.

Bastards also went through me & my wife (then girlfriend) "fun box" and played / examined all of our XXX stuff. Needless to say, I just threw it all out!! HA HA HA

Interestingly enough, the Pacifica, CA patrolman just LOVED inventorying that box of freaky stuff. Joker asked my wife out too LOL LOL LOL, no joke. I was at Camp Pendleton on Batallion FX & that turkey asked my wife out when he saw her at Starbucks a while after the event.

No hard feelings brother, I can't blame you. She is hot.
Old 01-26-2013, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

A safe isn't fool proof, but most burglars are looking for a quick haul. Bolt a good safe down and back it up with a decent alarm system and some good dogs and you should be reasonably secure.

A pro can defeat most security measures.

I never took a firearms theft report where the guns were in a safe. As a supervisor, I never reviewed a report where a safe was defeated.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 01-26-2013, 7:13 PM

Never took a stolen gun from a safe during a regulary burglary but I've had two home invasions where suspects made the victims open the safe and took their guns and what not.
Old 01-27-2013, 2:49 PM

The only residential security containers/gun safes that I have had go missing/be compromised in burglary reports were cheap stack-on type containers or smaller fireproof containers. Several of them have either been smashed/pried open or even just carried away to be opened somewhere else. .
Old 02-01-2013, 2:14 PM

In my neck of the woods its gone both ways. If you talk a lot and people know you have a sweet collection, you're a target. We had a home invasion where they tied the guy up and beat him until he gave up the combo to his vault.

Usually its dirty *** cranksters and juvenile gangsters just doing quick smash and grabs. If you shove your good stuff (ammo, iPods, laptops, jewelry, guns, etc..) into your Stack-On when you go out, you're golden.
Old 02-01-2013, 9:40 PM

A standing safe is hard to defeat...one that is knocked over is easy...15 -30 minutes easy...two dip**** with with sledge hammer and a prybar can bust open the best gun safes out there in about 20 minutes once it has been knocked over. same safe standing upright won't get busted into for hours.

that being said a strapped/bolted gun safe is far better that "hiding it" in the closet / under the bed...

John 15:13

donate to support the cause
http://shop42a.com/

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh