Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-31-2013, 8:05 PM

Default Using a taper crimp/seater to crimp only

I'm planning to use a "Taper" seating die as a crimping only die. Are they just as good as a "taper" crimp only die? Of course, I plan to remove the seater parts when in use.

I have RCBS dies and would like to try the new Hornady "Taper" crimp seating die with the bullet guide sleeve. I would then use my RCBS (taper) seating die for crimping only. It's not much more for a seating/crimping die vs. a crimping only die. If I didn't like the Hornady bullet guid sleeve I would strip it and then use it for crimping.

I am talking about the newer seating dies with a Taper, not roll, crimp. I imagine that the crimping portion is formed like a taper only die just with addition of a seating stem?

Last edited by speeder; 01-31-2013 at 8:12 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 8:09 PM

Your question of crimping separately with your seating plug removed from your taper crimp die will work wonderfully. What round are you reloading?
Old 01-31-2013, 8:31 PM

Just .45 ACP for now. Got into the game vey late. Waiting on other dies for other caliburs. I have and will allways shoot a lot of .45ACP. I Borrowed a Taper only die but returned it after finding a Lee FCD localy. I wanted to try using the Hornady Taper seater but finding the FDC allowed me to return borrowed equipment. I don't mind lending but hate to borrow.

I haven't realy tried the FDC yet. I see pro's and con's with the FCD but planned to have a more traditional Tapper die anyway. Will try the FCD for personal knowledge and see where that takes me after my other die comes in.

Sorry I mentioned the FDC. Please lets not go down that road...
Old 01-31-2013, 8:32 PM

Yep, I do that all the time works just fine.
Old 01-31-2013, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Just .45 ACP for now. Got into the game vey late. Waiting on other dies for other caliburs. I have and will allways shoot a lot of .45ACP. I Borrowed a Taper only die but returned it after finding a Lee FCD localy. I wanted to try using the Hornady Taper seater but finding the FDC allowed me to return borrowed equipment. I don't mind lending but hate to borrow.

I haven't realy tried the FDC yet. I see pro's and con's with the FCD but planned to have a more traditional Tapper die anyway. Will try the FCD for personal knowledge and see where that takes me after my other die comes in.

Sorry I mentioned the FDC. Please lets not go down that road...
You can seat and taper crimp in the same die if you setup your Hornady die correctly. It's not that hard.

Doing it separately is fine too though. Your RCBS taper crimp seater die with the seating plug removed will work great for you.

Happy loading!
Old 01-31-2013, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

Why not just seat and crimp in the same step? That's what they're meant to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 PM

I have always felt that taper crimp is best accomplished as a separate step rather than trying to manipulate the case mouth while the bullet is still being pushed into the case.

You taper / seating will do this just fine providing you adjust the seating stem so it is not causing the bullet to be pushed any further into the case during the crimp process.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Taking the seater stem out and using it as a crimp only die will work fine.

If you decide to go whole hog and buy a dedicated crimp die, I recommend Dillon. It will come nice and polished and the quick disconnect clip allows you to take the barrel out and clean it without disturbing the adjustment. It will set you back about $28. Another quality alternative is the Redding version. It won't be polished quite as nicely up inside (not quite as smooth) and doesn't have the quick clean feature, but otherwise is a quality offering. About the same as the Dillon price wise.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

You don't need to take the seating plug out, just back it off so it doesn't touch the bullet.

...... you cant have no idea how little I care "

Monte (Tom Selleck) - 'Monte Walsh'

"It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger--and I won't."

John Wayne as John Bernard (J. B.) Books in The Shootist
Old 02-01-2013, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
Taking the seater stem out and using it as a crimp only die will work fine.

If you decide to go whole hog and buy a dedicated crimp die, I recommend Dillon. It will come nice and polished and the quick disconnect clip allows you to take the barrel out and clean it without disturbing the adjustment. It will set you back about $28. Another quality alternative is the Redding version. It won't be polished quite as nicely up inside (not quite as smooth) and doesn't have the quick clean feature, but otherwise is a quality offering. About the same as the Dillon price wise.
+ 1000 ^^^^
Old 02-01-2013, 9:12 PM

Thank's for all the info. I feel extra confident with my plan now.

I read lots of negatives but also enough positives on crimping while seating in the same stage. I only plan to shoot FMJ and can't wait to give it a try myself with FMJ!

The info I get from all of your experiances isn't wasted or blown off. When going against the norm, it's best to go prepaired with knowledge. One day I will try a home made bullet feeder tube with the Hornady BF die, a lock out die and who knows what else. My LnL has enough stations for all kinds of extra goodies "to try" as long as some stations can be freed up by some multi tasking.

Like Bill has said in another thread, "Learning is the fun part." I'll stick with the basics for a few more thousand rounds before experimenting with the stations. So, for a while, it will be 1: size decap ---prime--- 2: flair 3: powder charge 4: seat 5: crimp.

Yea, I have read great things about Dillon dies. Wish I had some to try. I like new gadgets so the Hornady sliding bullet guide is a must try. I know I can leave the seating stem in and just back it off. But, taking the stem out will leave no doubt that it will never be in the mix. Besides, I like my dies that are doing different things to also "look different." It makes it easier for my simple thought prosess to track the different stations at a glance, LOL.