Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

Default supposed I'm sailing from Alaska to SF with AR-15, how far offshore.....

do I need to install a BB, etc?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

You are within federal waters at 12 miles out, and in california when you cross the low water line

http://www.gc.noaa.gov/images/gcil_g...boundaries.jpg
Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll say the state has jurisdiction up to 3 nautical miles offshore.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is assuming the vessel is US registered. If it was UK registered, for example, you could have other issues.

Regards,

SwissFluCase
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Make ca legal before docking in Kalifornia.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM

When you smell the stench, you'll know.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick Z tail out View Post
When you smell the stench, you'll know.
Patchouli and BO? It is SF after all.

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM

Loss of rifle in a boating accident.....Your doing it right!
Old 01-30-2013, 3:58 PM
Libertatem Vivit Hic
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DColvin209 View Post
Loss of rifle in a boating accident.....Your doing it right!

Disclaimer:
Any posts by me are intended to be for informational purposes only and are not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is formed.
Old 01-30-2013, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Do they let you shoot your AR off the back like they do with shotguns? Put the BB on before you dock and especially before any locals board the vessel.
Old 01-30-2013, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

Please take me pirate hunting with you
Old 01-30-2013, 4:57 PM

ALL my guns were lost at sea yesterday I went sailing in my Lido to Hawaii and I hit a big gust and capsized all my suppies and weapons were all lost. I had to sail back and when I was about 4 miles out the boat sank too. I had to spraed my wings and fly the rest of the way back. AND thats my sorty and I'm sticking to it. Thats what i'll tell them thru the peep hole. If they bash the door in they are getting a not so nice surprise.
Old 01-30-2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud99 View Post
You are within federal waters at 12 miles out, and in california when you cross the low water line

http://www.gc.noaa.gov/images/gcil_g...boundaries.jpg
What is the low water line?

State waters extend from the mean high tide line to 3 nautical miles. Look on a chart. This is why all the stupid state MLPAs stop at 3 NM. Also note this 3NM line extends from all the islands in area too. So if you were camping at San Clemente in an anchorage you are under state jurisdiction.

Also bear in mind that CA state LEOs (like game wardens) can enforce federal laws out to the the fed lines. (Really here though you are looking at fishing violations like the cowcod area.)

I would really love to see a case where someone got stopped for boarding in the Catalina channel with a non-bullet buttoned AR and 30 rounders. Middle of the channel, state law shouldn't apply. (And no I am not going to volunteer for that role)

And know that no matter where you are, if you are a US flagged vessel the Coast Guard can board you anywhere in the world.
Old 01-30-2013, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Make ca legal before docking 3 miles of any land mass or man made structure like piers etc in Kalifornia.
There fixed it for ya..Comrade.
Old 01-30-2013, 9:42 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

The correct answer should be 3 miles from shore (note that in Socal, that includes islands so it can be functionally far more than 3 miles from the coast.) However, there are some strange California cases from the prohibition era that have to do with gambling/booze boats offshore from California that should be consulted for surety. That said, yes USCG or DHS can board you anytime, anywhere, but I can tell you that they do not tend to enforce California law unless accompanied by a CA LEO. That almost never happens offshore but often happens in inland waterways like the SF Bay and Delta.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-31-2013, 6:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
The correct answer should be 3 miles from shore (note that in Socal, that includes islands so it can be functionally far more than 3 miles from the coast.) However, there are some strange California cases from the prohibition era that have to do with gambling/booze boats offshore from California that should be consulted for surety. That said, yes USCG or DHS can board you anytime, anywhere, but I can tell you that they do not tend to enforce California law unless accompanied by a CA LEO. That almost never happens offshore but often happens in inland waterways like the SF Bay and Delta.

-Gene

Why can't Gene be our NRA spokesman?

Old 01-31-2013, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

-Gene
Gene's right about the three mile limit for the enforcement of state criminal statutes.

There is limited authority to enforce certain health and safety laws within the contiguous zone (out to 24 miles). There is currently an effort by the SCAQMD to enforce low-sulphur fuel oil requirements on ships passing within 24 miles of the coast.

Assuming that you're on a U.S. flagged vessel, the Coast Guard can board you anywhere except within another state's territorial sea (and even then with that state's permission). I spent a number of years in the CG and was a designated boarding officer. The Coast Guard isn't concerned with state law provisions. On some occasions, the CG will embark a state officer and that could cause issues.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Why can't Gene be our NRA spokesman?

Gene is a civil rights weapon of mass destruction. He can only be unleashed with great caution. With great power comes great responsibility.
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 01-31-2013, 1:44 PM

I'd just throw one of those kydex california compliance grips on as opposed to the BB. Might be easier to do while sailing.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-31-2013, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMik View Post
I'd just throw one of those kydex california compliance grips on as opposed to the BB. Might be easier to do while sailing.
Given you don't have any evil features. I have a forward hand grip, telescoping stock and all the trimmings. A kidex doesn't cover that. Not trying to be a jerk just wanted others to remember.
Old 01-31-2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
Gene is a civil rights weapon of mass destruction. He can only be unleashed with great caution. With great power comes great responsibility.
I say deploy the Gene before the anti's contaminate any more of our precious bodily fluids.... I only just became aware of this "contamination" during the physical act of love.

Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration....
Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

By asking this question while still in AK, you have committed a California thoughtcrime. In fact, just being from states abbreviated "AR" and "AK" is now a crime in California as well.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
Given you don't have any evil features. I have a forward hand grip, telescoping stock and all the trimmings. A kidex doesn't cover that. Not trying to be a jerk just wanted others to remember.
Absolutely correct. Only thought of what I had in my safe when I responded and that if I lived elsewhere I wouldn't want a BB.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-01-2013, 1:16 PM

I don't see the word "Canada" yet.

Don't want those Crazy Canucks busting you for importing an evil rifle into their waters. Which limit line should be considered while passing Canada? 12nm, 24nm?
Old 02-01-2013, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

if you have a "floating house" 15 miles off the coast of CA, can it be stored with non-BB ARs and high cap mags?

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
Old 02-01-2013, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbur View Post
I don't see the word "Canada" yet.

Don't want those Crazy Canucks busting you for importing an evil rifle into their waters. Which limit line should be considered while passing Canada? 12nm, 24nm?
Burbur,

The best answer is 12 nautical miles.

Check the web for details of the 1982 Law of the Sea Convention. It is the source of international law on the question. A lot of folks still think of the "three mile" line. It changed to 12 through the convention. Once you're inside the 12 mile line, all of Canada's laws apply.

The convention also recognized the right of states to enforce laws pertaining to immigration, customs, currency and sanitation out to 24 miles. I could see a Canadian official viewing your weapon as a customs issue and claiming the 24 mile limit.

Be aware that there is a disputed area in Dixon Entrance where both the U.S. and Canada claim the same water. By agreement, each nation will only enforce its laws on their own nationals within the disputed area. This was a constant source of irritation when I was doing Coast Guard boardings up there.