Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-01-2013, 2:55 AM

Default Thoughts/suggestions/warnings? 12 gauge lee slug

Hello! I wouldn't consider my self a reloader but i have a question, I purchased some pre-cast Lee-slugs from another user and then did what I've seen a number of "youtubers" have done with the low recoil target loads. They cut the crimp off, empty the bird shot then replace the old load with the lee slug. So while taking precautions I've been reading online for opinions on the safety of this whole procedure and weighed the unaltered load in comparison with the slug and they came out to be exactly the same. So since the Slug is a 1 oz load and the bird shot is a 1 oz load shouldn't in theory the catridge work indiscriminately if i were to swap the loads safely?

Thoughts/suggestions/warnings?

I'd consider my self a noob, so any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 02-01-2013, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

The warning is pretty standard for shotgun loading. Shotguns are not designed to withstand high pressures. Small changes in load specifications can make very large changes in pressures (on a percentage basis) which can be a problem when fired.

In general, unlike cartridge reloading, shotshell reloading doesn't offer much in the way of safe experimentation. You don't "work up" loads in shotgun reloading, you just find the exact receipe in the book that meets your needs, buy the exact components for that load (exact hulls, exact primer brand and type, exact wad, exact powder and charge weight, etc.) and load that specific receipe. In the absence of many years of shotshell reloading, swapping components is generally discouraged.

I think you can go ahead and test your loads. Just find a place you can shield any flying pieces of the gun if it does come apart, rig up a string to operate the trigger and try it. The worst case is you will have to buy a new shotgun. I would say if you tested 20 like this and all the hulls came out looking OK, no broken hulls, etc. you could conclude, in your gun that specific brand and specifcation of target shell load might work. The only problem is manufacturers change wads, etc. and while the change works fine for their load, may not work fine for your swap load.

Another approach would be to buy a Lee shotshell loader (like $50), pickup a bag full of spent Gun Club hulls while shooting a few rounds of clays, go on Hodgdon's web site and get a receipe for those hulls and your slugs, go to Ballistic Products web site and buy everything in that list (wads, primers powder). Call it $150 for everything you need to to make 1000 rounds (not counting the slugs themselves). Oh, and you won't need that string if you go this route.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
The warning is pretty standard for shotgun loading. Shotguns are not designed to withstand high pressures. Small changes in load specifications can make very large changes in pressures (on a percentage basis) which can be a problem when fired.

In general, unlike cartridge reloading, shotshell reloading doesn't offer much in the way of safe experimentation. You don't "work up" loads in shotgun reloading, you just find the exact receipe in the book that meets your needs, buy the exact components for that load (exact hulls, exact primer brand and type, exact wad, exact powder and charge weight, etc.) and load that specific receipe. In the absence of many years of shotshell reloading, swapping components is generally discouraged.

I think you can go ahead and test your loads. Just find a place you can shield any flying pieces of the gun if it does come apart, rig up a string to operate the trigger and try it. The worst case is you will have to buy a new shotgun. I would say if you tested 20 like this and all the hulls came out looking OK, no broken hulls, etc. you could conclude, in your gun that specific brand and specifcation of target shell load might work. The only problem is manufacturers change wads, etc. and while the change works fine for their load, may not work fine for your swap load.

Another approach would be to buy a Lee shotshell loader (like $50), pickup a bag full of spent Gun Club hulls while shooting a few rounds of clays, go on Hodgdon's web site and get a receipe for those hulls and your slugs, go to Ballistic Products web site and buy everything in that list (wads, primers powder). Call it $150 for everything you need to to make 1000 rounds (not counting the slugs themselves). Oh, and you won't need that string if you go this route.

Good luck, have fun.
Greatly appreciate your input! Sorry was a bit late at responding, but I understand entirely what you're saying. Now I'm a bit nervous to use these loads lol.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 AM

how will you recrimp the cut shells?
are you putting them in other once fired hulls after you reprime and put the removed powder and wad in?

just start from scratch using HS6 powder and WAA wads and hulls you can find the data online or from LeePrecision. also search castboolits forum they have a slug section there.

Eat the rich the poor taste like despair.

FLORIDA It's not the heat it's the stupidity.

BLACK RIFLES MATTER
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3006mv View Post
how will you recrimp the cut shells?
are you putting them in other once fired hulls after you reprime and put the removed powder and wad in?

just start from scratch using HS6 powder and WAA wads and hulls you can find the data online or from LeePrecision. also search castboolits forum they have a slug section there.
I'm just removing the old load, and putting the slug into the pre-existing wad not altering anything except the swap between birdshot and slug, they're of the same weight. Then after that's completed i use some light adhesive to secure the slug.

Last edited by Jbaker8390; 02-09-2013 at 8:42 AM..
Old 02-09-2013, 9:18 AM

Op, I agree with bills warning but you may want to google wax slugs.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM

oh i thought you were cutting them open. other option is a roll crimp. you may want to put a 20 ga under card under the slug in the wad, it helped my grouping after i tried that

Eat the rich the poor taste like despair.

FLORIDA It's not the heat it's the stupidity.

BLACK RIFLES MATTER
Old 02-11-2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3006mv View Post
oh i thought you were cutting them open. other option is a roll crimp. you may want to put a 20 ga under card under the slug in the wad, it helped my grouping after i tried that
I am, lol, to best show what i'm doing is exactly what this gentlemen did in the video.

Towards the last parts of the video he shows him self assembling the actual cartridge, I've done exactly what he has done in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN8i5...ature=youtu.be