Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-30-2013, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member
Default Need help with Lee powder measure

I finally decided to try and get my press set up. I've got a Lee Classic Cast Turret press and I'm using the Lee dies. I've got the Auto-Disk powder measure (like the pic below) and I'm trying to use the adjustable charge bar to meter out some Win 231 for my 9mm loads. The range I'm trying to throw is 4.3gr to 4.8gr. The problem I'm having is, when I set to micrometer to .40cc (Lee says that should be about 4.3gr) the charge bar doesn't pick up any powder. It won't pick up any powder until it's set to .48cc and then it throws a 5.7gr charge. Anyone else ever have this issue?

"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
"You have to be willing to swing your nuts like a deadblow hammer to put these jackasses in their place." - AJAX22
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 01-30-2013, 8:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I have read about others that complained the adjustable charge bar was not accurate at low charge weights. It has been a long time since I used a Lee AD, and even longer since I used one with a charge bar, so I can't tell you what loads I used it on where it worked, I do know it never didn't work for me. Wish I could be more helpful.

I can tell you that I found a good load with W231 and every gun I ever loaded it for using the fixed cavities that came with the AD, just another angle if you can't figure out the charge bar issue. W231 was one of the powders the Lee data for weight vs volume was pretty accurate, Unique being the worst.

Good luck, have fun.
When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."
Old 01-30-2013, 8:18 PM
CGN Contributor

I've found that with the smaller charges and/or low dose powders like Titegroup (I have not used W231) the adjustable charge bar is not the way to go. Its just not designed well for throwing small charges. Just go with the standard auto disk cavity that most closely corresponds to the throw you need.
You may need to try more than one cavity size and weigh the throws to find the optimal sized cavity for each recipe. The numbers in the Lee manual tend to the low side for the auto disk measurements (safety I guess).
Old 01-30-2013, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use the charge bar with W231 successfully, but I don't recall what the numbers are set to. I am loading my 124gr 9mm at 4.3gr. There is a +-.1 float at times, but it holds pretty well. I will look it up this weekend when I get back in front of my press.
NRA Member - CalGun Contributor - CGF Monthly Donor - SAF Member
Old 01-31-2013, 6:32 AM
Clan of the Hunt's
CGN Contributor

I just received this powder measure earlier in the week and had to play around with a couple cavities to get the right measure for my 9mm. What I ended up was with a .70cc cavity and it measures out 5.4gr each and almost every time I cycle it. I ran a test and did 3 sets of 5 cycles each. 4 of them were right on the money @ 5.4gr. The fifth one spit out 5.5gr. When you average it out, that's a 5.42gr average, which is just fine for me.

I also purchased the double disk kit for when I'm loading rifle loads and it just gives you many more options. So play around and test out some cavities to see which one gets you where you want to be.

As to be expected, the instructions that come with Lee products are very lacking. But a quick visit to youtube solved that problem.
Member - NRA, GOA, CAPRC
CalGun Contributor

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -Albert Einstein
Old 01-31-2013, 6:10 PM

I just recently ran some W231 loads with the adjustable bar for .45acp. Mine seemed to be pretty consistent from throw to throw. I usually checked it every other load or so. Here are my settings and results:

bar setting: .458 charge weight: 4.35 grains
bar setting: .49 charge weight: 4.65
bar setting: .528 charge weight: 5.0

Without seeing your setup, I have no real idea why it won't throw at the lower settings. I did notice at times that I had trouble reading the scale on the bar accurately. Could that be your issue?

I recall that getting the bar seated on the small tab that slides it over the die was a bit of a trick. My first attempt had it on the wrong side of that tab. It still moved when the lever was pulled, but did not travel far enough to drop the charge through the die. Maybe check that as well (?).

Last edited by sofbak; 01-31-2013 at 6:13 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Never had that trouble since I have always used a RCBS Uni-Flow measure. Actually I have 2 with one set-up with the small drum and another set-up with a large drum. Gives me very accurate throws with either one.

The best advise I can give is to toss the lee and buy a RCBS unit. You can often get them cheap on ebay. Be sure to get one with both drums or 2 of them with a large and a small drum.
A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
NRA Life Member
SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club & NAHA Member