Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-25-2013, 5:54 PM

Default Magazine question.

I would like to get the LEO point of view on this question.

What is commonly considered "permanently altered" in regards to magazines. (This really applies to 10/20 and 10/30 magazines)

I know that rivets, pins, and epoxy are being used; these options may and do interfere with the disassembly of the magazine.

There are also options of using magazine blocks/limiters; are these considered permanent in the eyes of LE?

You can also reference this thread which discusses more of the purpose behind my question.http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=687430

Last edited by DLEONARD13; 01-25-2013 at 6:44 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

Magazine blocks are being sold in this forum and nobody said anything otherwise about it being legal.

From the reading of it, when you disassemble the mag, it's a parts kit, when you assemble it with the blocker, it's a compliant mag. At no time does it exist in illegal form if you always have the blocker installed. I don't find any fault with that reasoning... but that's just me.
Old 01-26-2013, 2:11 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There is simply no definition to rely on, and AFAIK no method has been tested in court.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-26-2013, 8:41 AM

Thanks for the responses, I am just trying to cover my bases when it comes to assembling my parts kits. But I would still like to retain the ability to disassemble for cleaning/repair.
Old 01-26-2013, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

To me the definition of permanent is pretty self explanatory. If you can change it back into a mag which holds more than ten rounds it's not permanently altered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 01-28-2013, 9:48 PM

That was my understanding, however if we take this concept to pistol magazines a XD 16rd magazine can be used if the 10rnd limiter is installed and I havent seen these epoxied and or riveted.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM

I wouldn't want to be the test case (which fortunately I CAN'T be), but I'm not really sure how you can permanently alter something like a magazine yet allow it to be taken apart for cleaning.
Old 01-29-2013, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLEONARD13 View Post
That was my understanding, however if we take this concept to pistol magazines a XD 16rd magazine can be used if the 10rnd limiter is installed and I havent seen these epoxied and or riveted.
Check out any factory made 10 round magazine. You will find it's virtually impossible to alter them to accept any additional rounds without destroying the mag.

So pistol or rifle it makes zero difference. If the modification to accept only ten rounds can be undone then it's not "permanent".

Quote:
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
I wouldn't want to be the test case (which fortunately I CAN'T be), but I'm not really sure how you can permanently alter something like a magazine yet allow it to be taken apart for cleaning.
I dont want to be a test case either, thats why I'm asking for these opinions.

I ulitmately will make my own descision that I feel comfortable with that could have me spending TIME and MONEY defending in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
So pistol or rifle it makes zero difference. If the modification to accept only ten rounds can be undone then it's not "permanent".
Would you consider a rivet placed into a 30 rnd PMAG a permanent modification? (Consider that the rivet does prevent the follower and potentially the spring from being removed.)

Because I can take a drill and remove the rivet allowing disassembly and modification back to a 30rnd magazine. (Which of course is a violation of the penal code, "manufacturing")

Would you consider a magazine block floor plate epoxied to the spring to be permanent? Or would the epoxy even be required?

I guess all I really was looking for was a definite answer as to whether or not I would be arrested on the spot, if an LEO determined that a mag block with or with out epoxy or a rivet meets the penal code definition of permanent. Or to what extent a LEO would potentially investigate it meeting the penal code definition of permanent. i.e. potential disassembly...

Or is the LEO only going to attempt or have me attempt to load 11 rounds, and when only 10 go in say "have a nice day".

I tried to ask DOJ and my local DAs office for guidance and got no results.

My safest bet here is to just use 10rnd mags in my AR and avoid the whole argument, the thing is 10/30 magazines are not illegal, they facilitate easier changing, and yes make the firearm look a whole lot better... um... I mean evil... nope had it right the first time.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DLEONARD13; 01-29-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Think simply.

Permanent is a simple concept.

If it can be taken apart and reassembled into a magazine which holds more than ten rounds after it's converted into a ten round magazine it's not "permanent".

Forget all the what if's and why not's.

One issue you may not have thought of when using a so called 10/30 or 10/20 magazine. This may give an officer probable cause to inspect your rifle to be sure it is legal. Remember using a mag over ten rounds in a mag locked semi-auto is a crime in Ca.. The only way a officer can be sure you are not in violation is to preform an inspection, of the rifle and magazine.
When using a real ten round mag you do not have this issue.

So why go to the trouble and risk . ten rounds are ten rounds.

Quote:

Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM

My thoughts:

- I have NEVER checked someone's mag capacity simply because I could.... every magazine I have seized with a capacity of over ten rounds was because someone either: a) did something stupid/illegal with the weapon (and the magazine was already in/attached to the weapon) or b) was prohibited from having it in the first place (such as a dope dealing parolee at large).

- Again, like I said earlier, I am not sure how one can have a permanently altered magazine but still be able to clean it (I would assume this would be recognized by the courts as being something which must be done, at least occasionally, to allow the magazine to function properly and safely). I know it is a different set of rules, but for instance when hunting with a shotgun one must use an insert in the tube to limit the amount of shells in the shotgun. This does not have to be a permanent modification and I have never heard of someone being charged with a violation of this section while taking apart their shotgun for cleaning/removing an obstruction from the tube (while hunting).

- One is allowed to possess (for now) the parts to create a "high capacity" magazine when the magazine is disassembled. But, I am no lawyer and know of no similar cases which could help you decide which way to go any further than what we have discussed regarding how "permanent" the modifications to the magazine to restrict the capacity have to be. It would seem that the argument that if your magazine, when assembled, cannot be altered in anyway to accept more than ten rounds you should be fine. By this same argument (against using plastic followers/rivets/etc to limit magazine capacity) all AR's could potentially be "assault" weapons because when disassembled I could re-assemble it without the bullet button... but logic certainly seems to be lacking in this area of criminal law more than most. And don't get try to tell me that the attempt AW case that everyone is crying over in the 2nd Amendment forum is close to this.. its not. You are not a felon, are not on probation, you possess all proper items to create a legal item, and you are not saying that you are going to manufacture a "high capacity" magazine.

- IMHO and non lawyerly opinion, if you don't do anything stupid with your weapons or anything stupid while carrying your weapons you should be fine. I'm not really sure as an officer why I would push my legal authority to order you to take apart your magazine to check whether or not it can hold more than ten rounds if I simply saw you at the range or stopped you coming from some legal place with the magazine. Seems like a very CS way to get myself potentially embroiled in a drawn out criminal case over a stupid(potential, as in if it turns out to be a "high capacity" magazine) violation.
Old 01-30-2013, 5:44 PM

I second CBR rider... If I had to check it would be capacity only...
Old 01-30-2013, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

I think I would have more than enough on my plate to bother with a CS crime as whether or not a magazine might be able to hold over ten rounds if assembled WITHOUT a blocker which the owner has inside when it was assembled.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
You are not a felon, are not on probation, you possess all proper items to create a legal item, and you are not saying that you are going to manufacture a "high capacity" magazine.
No I am not and I want to keep it that way, nor do I want to manufacture "hi-caps".
I am a law biding citizen who is and will contnue to be a responsible gun owner and advocate who wants to meet the letter of the law.

And by understanding the laws that govern not just "the firearm" ownership aspects but all aspects that have an effect on said ownership makes me a more responsible owner.

Obviously 10 rounders are the safest bet, but like others have said if you are not doing something stupid what is there to fear

If you are not informed then you are doomed to failure.

Failure = Felony (potentially)

Felony = NO GUNS

Thank you to all for your insight in to this question, there is no doubt in my mind that the penal code is not exactly crystal clear.

As the definition can even be observed differently as well.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/permanent
Definition of PERMANENT
: continuing or enduring without fundamental or marked change : stable

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/permanent
per·ma·nent/ˈpɜrmənənt/ Show Spelled [pur-muh-nuhnt] Show IPA
adjective
1. existing perpetually; everlasting, especially without significant change.
2. intended to exist or function for a long, indefinite period without regard to unforeseeable conditions: a permanent employee; the permanent headquarters of the United Nations.
3. long-lasting or nonfading: permanent pleating; permanent ink.
Old 01-31-2013, 3:09 AM
short bus driver

IMO...
If I can disassemble it without using tools, then it's not permanent.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).