Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-25-2013, 3:13 PM

Default LEO opinions on ridealongs

Any active LEOs care to comment - especially those in the Bay Area? Just curious what you guys really think of ridealongs. Is it babysitting, a PITA or do you like it?
Old 01-25-2013, 3:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Long as you show you are interested and you are doing this because you want to become a LEO in the future. You should be good to go. However, Some like it and some do not (someone watching over their shoulder and babysitting). Hope this help.
Old 01-25-2013, 3:26 PM

Absolutely hate ride alongs. Despise them with all my heart.
Old 01-25-2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStorm82 View Post
Absolutely hate ride alongs. Despise them with all my heart.
I like your passion. Mind if I ask why?
Old 01-25-2013, 3:35 PM

I actually enjoy it. I work for an agency where we are alone most of the time.

I like having someone who is genuinely interested in the career and asks questions.

I do not like people who try to judge me every time I make a decision. That's what my SGT is for.

Justin
1943 mosin Nagant 91/30 for sale

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1049332

Remington 1187 for sale

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post17758100
Old 01-25-2013, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I usually didn't mind, but sometimes you're just not in the mood to have to explain everything you are doing.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 01-25-2013, 6:30 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Maybe I am a weirdo, but I do not even like working a two man hoop with a regular partner. I strongly prefer working alone. Meeting up for a cup or debriefing after calls is fine. However I feel crowded with 2 people in the car. Plus I can't use my car seat organizer and I don't like my BoB down by my feet.

With all that said....

Explorers: No
Ride alongs: Never!

No offense....you asked.
Old 01-25-2013, 6:36 PM
You there, off the lawn.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Close enough to see it but not close enough to smell it.

It's been about twenty years, but there was a memo posted on the CHP bulletin board to the effect of "Strongly Discourage" anybody not in the hiring process or LE Explorer program. Exceptions for some supportive press and political types.

I have no reason to believe it's become more open.

Some guys liked to talk, some didn't. Same as any other job.

For a country founded by the average man rising up against an oppressive government, we sure have an obsession about not giving up our guns.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Maybe I am a weirdo, but I do not even like working a two man hoop with a regular partner. I strongly prefer working alone. Meeting up for a cup or debriefing after calls is fine. However I feel crowded with 2 people in the car. Plus I can't use my car seat organizer and I don't like my BoB down by my feet.

With all that said....

Explorers: No
Ride alongs: Never!

No offense....you asked.
Hey Bobby, can I go on a ride along with you.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

I've only given them for family or applicants, but I have gotten ridealongs as well when I was an applicant or one time while writing a research paper in college. If you can do it, you really should try. Most cops are very receptive and they are very cool and you will have a good time if it's not a slow night.
Old 01-26-2013, 1:14 PM

Thanks for the candid fdbk. It is pretty much what I expected - a PITA for a lot of you. Glad to see that others are willing to help those starting out. In my case, I'm not just starting out. It was a way to see what you guys do/have to put up with and to see if there was a way for me to help out. I wouldn't mind helping as a a volunteer, but being north of 40, I don't see myself being accepted as a recruit.

My background is in high tech, so another reason was to see how I could use tech to make life in the field a little easier. I have a concept that needs validating, which a ridealong would help do. It would also be a chance to gather input on what you field operators need help doing. My way of helping might be forming a company to make your ideas a reality. Consider this - when was the last time that someone asked you (not the dept.) what you needed?

I'll give it more thought before I pursue it.

Last edited by FanTactical; 01-26-2013 at 1:21 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 2:03 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Hey Bobby, can I go on a ride along with you.
Always got room for Retired and Ron-Solo.
Old 01-27-2013, 2:53 PM

Fantactical,
For me, it depends on my mood. I have met some great people through ride alongs and some of them have wound up returning the favor by allowing me to tag along with them at their cool jobs. Generally I don't mind having a ride along but sometimes I really want to be with my partner and put in work, ya know what I mean? When I have a ride along I try to get into some exciting stuff but I'm not nearly as proactive on my own because not only do I have to deal with the suspect(s) but also keep an eye on the ride along.

As for your purpose of doing a ride along, I think it is a fantastic idea. You will quickly find that the patrol officer has a very different idea of what kind of new gizmos/software would be helpful (and used) as opposed to staff.
Old 01-27-2013, 5:05 PM

Thanks, CBR_rider. That is exactly what I figured and why I thought about a ride along - to get unfiltered input from the field. It would be very much a working session; I have specific objectives and questions to be answered. I can always watch COPS, if I want to be entertained.
Old 01-27-2013, 5:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I dislike them because most of the people end up being weirdos. Otherwise, i enjoy it when it's a normal person, but those are soo rare.
Old 01-27-2013, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I was the defacto designated Ride-along officer for most watches I worked...mostly be cause I didn't mind and I didn't have any horrible habits they wanted to hide (little did they know)

Mostly it was folks interested in going into LE, wives and family of new officers (to get a better understanding of what their loved one was doing), support staff (when their sup thought it would help them understand what happened in the field), of a concerned citizen (neighborhood watch and such). I usually had a good time and they seemed to enjoy themselves.

My worst (didn't finish the shift) was a LE Chaplian, who tried to bond with me by saying that Ferdinand Marcos was really great since he had just been baptisted a Christian ...this was a bit before his fall.

The best was a local news reporter and her cameraman who rode a couple of hours with me...it was a little weird having him hang out the window to get pictures of me driving. It was when they were introducing PC 13700 and I got several good sound bites (I was wired for sound) in what was an almost 7 minute clip...I just wish they had spelled my name correctly
Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 AM

Id thought about inquiring, if only because police and various other departmenrs(fire, etc) jobs fascinating. I dont have the physical condition for the job though(disability) but I find it fascinating regardless.
Old 01-28-2013, 4:59 AM

Hate RAL's.....not many officers that I even like to double with.
The car becomes way too cramped with two people in it.
Old 01-28-2013, 6:37 AM
Jonathan Doe

I never minded working in a 2-man car. It was fun when you have a good partner. But, I "hated" this one partner I worked with, because all he wanted to do was to hang around a bar to talk to girls.

Ride along was fine with me. One day, I wanted to show him what I really do. So, when I came across a very unruly driver who did not follow my instructions, I gave him a 2 page ticket and towed his car. It happened 1 week after the Rodney King incident.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I used to like working in two-person cars too. But the right partner is important.

The hardest part to get used to is not having all your equipment in the seat next to you. But it isn't much different than when you have a trainee.

Riding with another officer who can't remember that there is a division of areas of responsibility in the car can be a pain...he'd miss things on his side, because he was always trying to watch mine too.

It used to irk the Watch Commander that I used to partner up with another FTO...because we never seemed to take any paper during the shift
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
It used to irk the Watch Commander that I used to partner up with another FTO...because we never seemed to take any paper during the shift
Well played! Indeed, well played!
Old 01-28-2013, 3:44 PM

I don't mind having ride alongs. I've had good and some not really great ride alongs. Some were looking at starting a career in LE, some were criminal justice students fulfilling a class assignment, LE chaplains and dept. volunteers. The odd ones were the ones that just wanted to see if it was like the COPS t.v. show or something like that.
Old 01-28-2013, 4:28 PM

My best friend is a cop in Modesto and I did a ride along. We both had a blast. That was seriously one of the most fun nights of my life!
Old 01-28-2013, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Long as you show you are interested and you are doing this because you want to become a LEO in the future. You should be good to go. However, Some like it and some do not (someone watching over their shoulder and babysitting). Hope this help.
Aren't you still in the academy, or just finishing up?
Old 01-28-2013, 6:10 PM

I think that ride-alongs are an important part of what we do as officers. Its an opportunity to enlighten that person, and open their minds a bit about what is really going on out there in the streets, and why it is that we as LEO's operate the way we do. If you cannot stomach the idea of having someone ride along with you then you need to do a bit of a gut check and ask yourself who are you really benefiting by wearing that badge of yours? No one but yourself.

That's coming from a 10 year guy who has done his fair share of hard work, and still has more to give. We should all be eager to share what we do with the people we try to serve. That's where the value is.
Old 01-29-2013, 4:21 PM

Every ride along I've been stuck with has been with a civilian with an agenda; a journalist, an academic researcher, a civilian complaint investigator. the impression i get from them is that they see everything during the ride along through their own paradigm to support their own personal foregone conclusion. They didn't seem all to interested in truly understanding law enforcement without their own prejustice, and i'm sure not going to waste my time trying to convince them otherwise. For that reason i never really liked ride alongs.

I appreciate that most ride alongs just want to gain a better understanding of what we do, but I sincerely believe that people can never truly understand law enforcement unless they actually go out and do the job. just my two cents.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM

I enjoy the young ride along's that are looking to start a career and are curious as long as they are halfway intelligent. The 80 year old citizens academy person sucks.