Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2013, 4:15 PM
Rofocale's Avatar
Rofocale Rofocale is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 299
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default Police in the carpool lane.

Are cops allowed to drive in the carpool lane by themselves in non-emergency situtations? I seen alot of LASD doing it. Kinda like cops talking on cell phones while driving patrol cars. WTF?

Just curious on the rules.
  #2  
Old 01-30-2013, 4:17 PM
kygen's Avatar
kygen kygen is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The People's Socialist Republic of Los Angeles
Posts: 2,773
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

they can do whatever the hell they please
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse700 View Post
I have to wait until all the info is in before I make a statement. Obviously the family dogs had it coming.... other than that, waiting on more info.
  #3  
Old 01-30-2013, 4:18 PM
Cody's Avatar
Cody Cody is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,815
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Who is going to ticket them?

-Cody
  #4  
Old 01-30-2013, 4:18 PM
philobeddoe's Avatar
philobeddoe philobeddoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Venice
Posts: 1,919
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

my cousin is married to a cop, I saw him tear the tag off a mattress ... he didn't GAF
  #5  
Old 01-30-2013, 4:26 PM
CaptMike CaptMike is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 1,021
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Cellphone- the law allows peace officers to talk on the cellphone while on duty.

Carpool lane- just because an officer does not have lights and sirens does not meen he is not responding to a call. Peace officers are allowed to violate certain laws to perform their duties. For example, how do you catch up to a speeder, you violate the speed limit law to catch up to the speeder.
  #6  
Old 01-30-2013, 4:28 PM
kygen's Avatar
kygen kygen is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The People's Socialist Republic of Los Angeles
Posts: 2,773
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

i didnt know about the cell phone exemption, thanks
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse700 View Post
I have to wait until all the info is in before I make a statement. Obviously the family dogs had it coming.... other than that, waiting on more info.
  #7  
Old 01-30-2013, 4:41 PM
P5Ret P5Ret is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SF Ebay
Posts: 2,672
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I've never seen a specific exemption for carpool lanes, like there is for cell phones. Keep in mind that just because the lights are not on on the car doesn't necessarily mean that they are not responding to some type of priority call. I can only speak for myself but if I had to get on the freeway to go to a call I shut everything down. It tended to be easier to get by traffic if you don't have people in a panic over what to do when they see red lights in the mirror.
  #8  
Old 01-30-2013, 5:06 PM
jaysen jaysen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 297
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
my cousin is married to a cop, I saw him tear the tag off a mattress ... he didn't GAF
hahaa, i need a good laugh!
  #9  
Old 01-30-2013, 5:12 PM
bill_k_lopez's Avatar
bill_k_lopez bill_k_lopez is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,833
iTrader: 20 / 95%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I've never seen a specific exemption for carpool lanes, like there is for cell phones. Keep in mind that just because the lights are not on on the car doesn't necessarily mean that they are not responding to some type of priority call. I can only speak for myself but if I had to get on the freeway to go to a call I shut everything down. It tended to be easier to get by traffic if you don't have people in a panic over what to do when they see red lights in the mirror.
I love this excuse. As it happens, I see the same guy almost everyday going home on the 105 freeway. He's not a patrolman, he drives an undercover - exempt license plate, wears a collard dress shirt - and he's always in the carpool lane, by himself.

Its a sorry excuse - and its also one of the reasons so many people don't have a lot of respect sometimes for cops. Personally I'd have more respect if you'd just come out and say "we're exempt from following the common man's laws" - at least then we wouldn't have to pretend that I believe your tired lies.

Quit making excuses and just man up about it. You do it because you can get away with it.
__________________
Mark 14:51 - 52

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081
The more I am on CalGuns the more I see why government keeps certain people from owning firearms.
[/size]
  #10  
Old 01-30-2013, 5:36 PM
sportbiker929's Avatar
sportbiker929 sportbiker929 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 48
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Who freakin cares?

There are so many complete morons that blatantly disregard HOV lanes, cell phone laws and a plethora of other laws.

Give the POs a break.
  #11  
Old 01-30-2013, 5:53 PM
philobeddoe's Avatar
philobeddoe philobeddoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Venice
Posts: 1,919
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Someone's watched The Three Amigos one time too many.
  #12  
Old 01-30-2013, 6:03 PM
Ron-Solo's Avatar
Ron-Solo Ron-Solo is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default




IBTL

It always happens.....
__________________
LASD Retired
1978-2011




If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
  #13  
Old 01-30-2013, 6:06 PM
P5Ret P5Ret is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SF Ebay
Posts: 2,672
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
I love this excuse. As it happens, I see the same guy almost everyday going home on the 105 freeway. He's not a patrolman, he drives an undercover - exempt license plate, wears a collard dress shirt - and he's always in the carpool lane, by himself.

Its a sorry excuse - and its also one of the reasons so many people don't have a lot of respect sometimes for cops. Personally I'd have more respect if you'd just come out and say "we're exempt from following the common man's laws" - at least then we wouldn't have to pretend that I believe your tired lies.

Quit making excuses and just man up about it. You do it because you can get away with it.
What excuse? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about something. I don't know the exact circumstances of the OP's question, nor am I making any excuses for anything. Just pointing out the simple fact that unless I was actively chasing someone on the freeway I found it easier most times to get through traffic without emergency lights on.
  #14  
Old 01-30-2013, 6:23 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 32,308
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Asked, and answered, and starting to deteriorate, so closed.
__________________
Calguns Wiki, Magazine Qs, Knife laws

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:05 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.