Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-08-2013, 2:02 PM

Default DROS delays

Hello. New poster here.

Few days before this insanity and mass hysteria has started I purchased 2 O/U shotguns. Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 for myself and SKB GC7 for my girlfriend as an Xmas gift. I already own multiple firearms, so I did not anticipate any issues, but on Monday 12/17/12 I get a phone call from my LGS saying that DOJ put a delay on my DROS.

Called DOJ the next day. They wanted to know about a minor run-in with the law I had in '94, most likely in the light of the CT events. No biggie. All charges were dismissed so I have nothing to worry about. My lawyer faxed them paperwork, I called back in to make sure they received them and the lady who handled my case told me that she did, in fact, receive them, everything looks goods and she will release the guns in the next day or two. Two days come and go, but no release. I call DOJ and by that time no one is picking up the phone in the DROS department. I keep reaching general info line and they keep telling me that I can no longer talk to anyone.

Over the next 3 weeks I continue calling, and people that handle general info line tell me all kinds of stories and none of them match. "Next week", "Few days", "Right after Christmas" (did I mention that SKB was an Xmas gift for my GF?).
Anyway, it has been 22 DAYS since the delay. 22 DAYS. I just called again at the lady on the phone said that they are not even going to start looking at the delayed DROS applications until sometime "Middle of next week" and that "thousands of people are in the same boat as you".

Ok, this is great. I am not the only one, but if there are "thousands" of people being delayed, how come I do not see a single post on any firearm related forums about this? I would assume that out of "thousands" there would be at least a handful of people like me who would take their frustrations online?

Spoke to the LGS the other day too. They were told by DOJ that all delays are "indefinite". INDEFINITE!!! WTF?

Is this real life????
Old 01-08-2013, 2:04 PM

This is what happens when you have a department that answers to no one...
Old 01-08-2013, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

First off - WELCOME!

I'm not sure specifically about CA, but delays are happening all over the place in various ways due to all of the panic buying going on. I'm in CO and we don't even have a waiting period. I bought an LCP on 12/21/12 and to this day I still have not been able to pick it up because my BG check hasn't gone through yet.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 01-08-2013, 2:11 PM

This makes my brain hurt
Old 01-08-2013, 2:14 PM

Sorry to hear. I drosed 5 shotguns in the past 2 months (2 citori 725s, caesar guerini combo, weatherby, mossberg) no problems at all. I hope yours would come soon. Congrats on the B gun.
Old 01-26-2013, 1:43 AM

Default Delayed DROS

Man I'm in the same boat, except you were able to get more answers then me. In 2012 I even got a PFC and purchesed two hunting rifles. My FFD just says wait it out its been 22 days past the pick up I cant get an answer from anyone. No letter no reason I have a delay on my DROS. Just stuck and no one to stick up for you or give you an explanation. They wont even tell me when they might start taking calls agian.
Old 01-26-2013, 8:03 AM

Just wait for the black cars to come rolling around. Uh oh.
I am sorry to tell you this, but your buddy lied to you. The Drones are built in Ohio.....They were following you (you know why, don't pretend you don't).

Your buddy is part of the conspiracy!!!!!

Quit your job, sell everything and run to another country that won’t extradite you!!

Do it now, there is not much time!!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM

I made a purchase on 1-7-13. Went to pick it up and got handed a delay letter. Whenever I call the number they tell me they cant look anything up and to call back next week. I bought a shotgun in Nov-12 and had no problems then. report it at http://calgunsfoundation.org/doj
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM

ITs MADDNESS. I have had a delay since Dec 17th without anything but a run around.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM

I've purchased a Sig 220 in Nov. A Sig 522 in Dec and just picked up a Stoeger 12 ga yesterday. No delays.

Hope you get it worked out. Govt has no incentive to improve searvice.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Even with stories of stuff like this people want even more background checks, it's crazy.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
Even with stories of stuff like this people want even more background checks, it's crazy.
Any regulation to cause a delay, I think, is the point of the anti-gun crowd. They want to make it so frustrating that they're hoping it will discourage new purchasers. They can't ban all guns but they can certainly make it a living hell to obtain one.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz265 View Post
Any regulation to cause a delay, I think, is the point of the anti-gun crowd. They want to make it so frustrating that they're hoping it will discourage new purchasers. They can't ban all guns but they can certainly make it a living hell to obtain one.
Yup.
Old 01-30-2013, 2:10 PM

Are you sure its not just the gun store screwing you? I DROS'ed a gun in 1/7/13 and I picked it up promptly after my DROS period ended on 1/17/13.
Old 01-30-2013, 2:13 PM

[QUOTE Ok, this is great. I am not the only one, but if there are "thousands" of people being delayed, how come I do not see a single post on any firearm related forums about this? I would assume that out of "thousands" there would be at least a handful of people like me who would take their frustrations online?
/QUOTE]

There is a whole thread about this topic in the 2A section of CalGuns. There are lots of people that have been talking about this for a long time.

Last edited by Gabriel80; 01-30-2013 at 2:13 PM.. Reason: Fixed
Old 01-30-2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc736 View Post
Are you sure its not just the gun store screwing you? I DROS'ed a gun in 1/7/13 and I picked it up promptly after my DROS period ended on 1/17/13.
They'd have to provide the DOJ rejection letter.
Old 01-30-2013, 2:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama3 View Post
Hello. New poster here.

Few days before this insanity and mass hysteria has started I purchased 2 O/U shotguns. Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 for myself and SKB GC7 for my girlfriend as an Xmas gift. I already own multiple firearms, so I did not anticipate any issues, but on Monday 12/17/12 I get a phone call from my LGS saying that DOJ put a delay on my DROS.
See this thread.

IMPORTANT re DROS DENIALS: Please read this first and post questions/issues here!

Quote:
(did I mention that SKB was an Xmas gift for my GF?).
Why didn't she fill out the 4473 then? Unless you two are married you cannot just hand it to her, it has to go through an FFL.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)