Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-27-2013, 6:29 PM

Default Which handgun

Hey cgunners,
I can buy another handgun in a few days and am looking to get either a full size RIA 1911 or a 3inch Ruger gp100. I already own a glock 19 and an sr22 so i wanted to get a different caliber as my gf just bought me a lee turret press and i wanted to get the most economy out of it by buying a gun in the .45acp or .357 configuration. What would you pick and why?
Old 01-27-2013, 6:42 PM

As much as I love the 1911 in 45 and even though I have a RIA Tactical in jail, I would say go with the Ruger since you want to reload. You won't have to chase brass with a revolver. The 357/38 is a very versatile package even if you don't reload, since you do it will just increase its usefulness. You might want to consider a longer barrel unless it is going to be for concealed carry.
Need 22 ammo for your kids to shoot?
Old 01-27-2013, 7:13 PM

Just a thought - since you will be reloading, check out the Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. I love this revolver. If you don't reload, the ammo is very expensive, but with reloading it is not a problem.

With a 44 mag, you can load light or heavy and you have a lot more options. It is quite a bit larger than the GP100, but it feels great in your hand and is very accurate.

You can also mount a scope and use it for hunting, etc.

I also think it looks pretty cool.

Check it out before making your final decision.
Old 01-27-2013, 7:14 PM

Do you have experience with 357, 45 or even a revolver? If not, 357 w/ short barrel might surprise you. Otherwise, get the caliber/gun combination you enjoy more.

For me, magnum revolver is always a nice change of pace from the typical semis.
Glock 33 357SIG - Sig Sauer P250SC .40/357SIG
Glock 27 .40
Glock 20 - Glock 29SF 10mm
Desert Eagle MkVII .44
Sig Sauer P220 - Sig Sauer P227R - Sig Sauer 1911R - Glock 30SF - Springfield Armory 1911 Mil Spec .45
Old 01-27-2013, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

dude if you are going to start reloading, the gp100 is a reloaders dream. Forget the fact that .357 in itself is an extremely rewarding caliber to reload, you can safely exceed max load with that gun.

You can load 200 grain world ending loads at high velocity, or you can load some really light mouse fart loads.

I wouldnt hesitate to suggest the gp100 in your case, id also recommend a longer barrel. You will have alot more fun with a magnum revolver, and you can load them pretty damn cheap.

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber

Last edited by Dark Mod; 01-27-2013 at 7:45 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

38spl and 357mag are some of the most fun calibers to reload for. 45 is also fun, but personally I'd go for the 357 Ruger.

Revolvers are a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 01-27-2013, 7:54 PM

Both are good but I would go with the 1911 simply because I love that platform. Question is do you want to stick with autos or do you want to give a revolver a try? In the end its up to what you really want next. Hdawg makes a good point about not chasing brass with the revolver.
Old 01-27-2013, 8:59 PM

You all make good points and thanks for all of your help. My only problem with a revolver is that I shoot handguns with my left hand. I was thinking that the loading of the cylinder would be very awkward for me. The only con with the RIA is that i now see them rising in price ($599 @ cordova shooting center)
Old 01-27-2013, 9:01 PM

Is the kick of a .357 magnum much more than a .45acp? Ive shot a 1911 and a g30 and didnt find the kick too bad.
Old 01-27-2013, 9:01 PM
Banned

If you go w/ the .357 Mag.? Get at least a 4" Bbl. on it.

And if you plan to carry it more than a little bit? Get it in the SP-101 frame.

Ruger Four-Inch 357 Magnum SP101

The 4.2" SP-101 in .357 Mag. is one sweet rig.
Old 01-27-2013, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNP View Post
Is the kick of a .357 magnum much more than a .45acp? Ive shot a 1911 and a g30 and didnt find the kick too bad.
Yes, but its all in the load. I have some .357 loads that would blow your mind, but i can also load some bunny fart 38 special loads that you would barely notice. The versatility of the gp100 is the best part.

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 01-27-2013, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mod View Post
Yes, but its all in the load. I have some .357 loads that would blow your mind, but i can also load some bunny fart 38 special loads that you would barely notice. The versatility of the gp100 is the best part.
+1 on the .357/.38 over the .45 for reloading. Cast lead 125 gr. wheel weight drops over Trail Boss is some of the most comfortable loads I've ever shot. Remember that the reason the old .38's and .357's had such a long case was due to the older powders that needed that much room.

These days, most of the loads don't fill the case. When they do, they kick like a mule. Using Trail Boss fills the case and makes it a lot more pleasant with the lead drops. Talk to some of the old re-loaders and they'll say the same.

It's also one of the most versatile shells to load for from mid 90's to over 160 odd grain.

One other thing you mention is shooting left handed. A revolver won't have a chance to kick shells into your face.

Some southpaws are pretty quick reloading with moonclips as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTT8qZkuWjI

Last edited by Swagman00; 01-27-2013 at 9:58 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Ruger !
Old 01-28-2013, 5:08 PM

+1 on the 4" barrel.
Old 01-28-2013, 8:51 PM

With the river its pretty easy to work the cylinder release with your trigger finger so I wouldn't worry too much. Much easier than a Colt or Smith at least. Or there's always the Charter arms that is actually designed for lefties.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 PM

I recently bought a RIA Tactical in .45 and I couldn't be happier with it. I've really fallen in love with the 1911 platform and I think every American gun owner should have one. It's a great range gun... the recoil isn't bad at all since the pistol is so heavy and mine has been very reliable right out of the box. The Tactical gets a little more love from the guys at RIA before it's sent out (feed ramp polishing, etc) compared to the GI version, and you get the extended ambi thumb safety, beavertail grip safety, full length guide rod, and skeletonized trigger/hammer for only about $60 more than the GI. If you like tinkering with things and learning more about how they function, the 1911 is a great choice IMO. You might want to look for a used Springfield GI, Ruger SR1911, Sig 1911, or Remington R1 on consignment... they should be pretty close to the price of a new RIA Tactical (especially considering the recent price gouging on new guns). If you get a used 1911 be sure to do all the necessary function checks before you buy to make sure you aren't buying a pistol with a botched trigger job.

While I love the 1911 and that's what I would get, you already have 2 autos so it might be fun to get a revolver for a little more variety... as others have said, it all comes down to what you want, don't let a bunch of guys on the internet decide what gun you should get! A revolver might not provide the fun of playing around with different spring weights, magazines, and replacing various parts (grip/thumb safeties, barrel bushing, grips, etc) to make your pistol unique, but it probably offers better reliability right out of the box and not everyone enjoys tinkering/customizing.

Don't pay $600 for an RIA though... I'm curious, is cordova shooting center selling the GI or the Tactical for that much?? Either way, that's overpriced for a RIA. I got my Tactical for $489 before tax+dros from Robby Betts at https://www.goldenstatetactical.com/ ...his website says he's out of stock on both the GI and Tactical but you might want to email him and ask how long it would take to order you one. Alternatively you could find one for a good price on gunbroker or some other auction site and just do the transfer through a local FFL (again, Robby was a pleasure to deal with and I prefer to support a good "kitchen table" FFL over a LGS that spreads FUD and overcharges their patrons for everything).

Let us know what you decide on and good luck hunting for a deal!