Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-28-2013, 1:45 AM

Default Finding police reports?

I know in some places its public record in the newspapers and such, but its always a pain around here. Im wondering if theres any regular places to find police reports... late last night/early morning(talking hour or so after midnight) heard sirens and looked out back, caught three cars racing down LK Wood in Arcata lit up with sirens blaring, but couldnt find anything in the paper, just some thing apparently from Thurs bout some dude with like 7k worth of drugs on him.

Figure I ask LEO if theyd know where to look for stuff like that.
Old 01-28-2013, 3:27 AM

For named parties the reports are available in an edited form at either the department or another place of records. As far as I know, a non-involved party can not get a copy of Random police reports, at least in this county. Often department release a "blotter" to the media for publication.
Old 01-28-2013, 8:40 AM

Generally speaking, a police report will be released to only those directly involved with the incident or their insurance companies or attorneys (with appropriate releases).

For info on police activity, some dept have it available on-line via their websites. Local papers may comb through the weekly logs and print interesting entries or post on-line. It is amazing what papers put out as activity for the last week but miss more critical/exciting/public-maybe-interested-stuff.

You could also request the info (it would be very basic call log info) at the front desk during normal business hours. There maybe a printing fee. But remember if you don't have an address/time of the incident, it maybe more difficult to find the call in the log depending how busy that night was.

Just a note: if you see 3 black and whites flying down your street code 3, it could be a big nothing such as an over reacting neighbor claiming something is bigger than it is. Medical aid in the area. Driving through the area to get to a "real something" a mile away. You get the idea.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Go here for more info on arrests.

http://www.localcrimenews.com/rss/Arcata

here too.

http://www.localcrimenews.com/city/1...rime-news.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks. My hometown prints the entire report history weekly, probably for filler to a paper thats tiny and printed 3x weekly now. I come out here, towns actually smaller but I cant find anything. Had a girl eat curb falling off a horse next door(im right near hsu so a horse was an attention grabber) and the paper had nothing. I guess here people dont care about what goes on?

Ill look at those later. Im doubting it was a pass through due to location, but Ill take a look. LK Wood passes directly past HSU. Partner said one looked like campus PD.