Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-26-2013, 9:08 AM

Default 2011 Redistricting Maps

CA REDISTRICTING:

Find your old, and new districts by inputing your address here:

http://www.congressmerge.com/onlinedb/index.htm

Then, find your new CA Assemblyperson, CA State Senator, or U.S. Congressional Representative here:

CA Assembly 2012-2014 districts:

http://www.mpimaps.com/mapanalysis/c...tate-assembly/

CA State Senate 2012-2014 districts:

http://www.mpimaps.com/mapanalysis/c...-state-senate/

U.S. Congressional Representatives 2012-2014

http://www.mpimaps.com/mapanalysis/c...al-delegation/

Last edited by JBBenson; 01-26-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Old 01-26-2013, 9:32 AM

mailed letters and emailed mine. Not like it will do any good, mine are Feinstine, Boxer and Spier. My area is screwed.
Old 01-26-2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaction View Post
Received this automated reply:

I guess I will use his tour planning services if I ever visit Washington DC.
I actually got something from Honda but it's not good news. The email is below:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Mr. *********,

Thank you for contacting me about gun safety issues. I appreciate hearing the views of my constituents, and I am glad you took the time to correspond with me about this important matter.

As an avid outdoorsman and hunter, I recognize that the United States Constitution guarantees our citizens the right to keep and bear arms. At the same time that we can all acknowledge this basic right, I believe that we should also be able to come together to develop reasonable laws designed to ensure that the right to bear arms is exercised safely and responsibly. Just as we all celebrate and defend the First Amendment but also understand that practical limits must be in place, such as not shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater, so too should we be able to respect the Second Amendment while simultaneously supporting commonsense regulations.

The heartbreaking elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that left 20 children and 7 adults dead is a stark reminder of the continued culture of violence that prevails in this country. The shocking nature of this tragedy brought an end to our country's detachment from the disturbing trend of gun violence and replaced it with a resolute call for change. President Obama, in response, established a working group on gun violence tasked with presenting real reforms. I believe we must take a three-pronged approach to solve this terrible problem.

First, we must recognize that this is a problem greater than just gun control. It has to do with our nation and its socioeconomic policies. We must gain a holistic understanding of the various factors causing violence and, in turn, provide a comprehensive solution. The 2012 Peace Index, a yearly study done by the Institute for Economics and Peace on the cost of violence across the world, found that the least violent states in America have some of the highest rates of health insurance coverage, high school graduation, educational opportunity, and perceived access to basic services, as well as among the lowest rates of income inequality, poverty, teen pregnancy and infant mortality.

These findings are especially relevant in light of Congress' current budget, deficit and debt negotiations. At a time when many are struggling to find economic opportunity, many in the Republican Party want to cut basic social services that keep many people afloat -- and safe. We must promote policies that strengthen communities from the ground up if we are to prevent tragedies that shock them through their cores.

Second, we must understand the role that gun laws play in gun violence. As a gun owner myself, I respect the rights of gun owners and the Second Amendment. These rights, however, are subject to restrictions to ensure the safety of all citizens. Our nation already has a framework, though certainly not perfect, for proper background checking and licensing. Under Republican leadership, however, Congress has severely underfunded the National Instant Criminal Background Check System and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives – resulting in an incomplete background database that hasn't expanded to all fifty states. The severe lack of resources also prevents the Bureau from conducting yearly inspections, as mandated by federal law, of all federally licensed gun dealers. Congress has also undermined the efforts of law enforcement personnel by restricting them from fully tracking gun purchases, uses, and sales through a series of measures known as the Tiahrt Amendments.

This is unacceptable. I strongly believe in the need to not only provide the resources and authority to enforce gun laws that are already on the books, but also to re-enact the federal assault weapons ban, with even tighter restrictions that remove some of the loopholes of the original ban. When the original 1994 to 2004 ban was in effect, gun violence and mass shootings fell dramatically. A ban should be a ban across the board.

Third, we need to improve the state of mental health care in our nation. There is no reason that it should be easier to purchase a lethal weapon in our country than it is get a mental health screening. This is why I have advocated for the concept of mental health parity throughout my career in Congress. We must ensure that we consider mental ailments on the same level as physical ailments. We must promote yearly screenings for mental health, like we do for physical health, and push for full coverage of these screenings by health insurance companies. This can be done by providing incentives to insurers and patients, like we do for physicals, for completing yearly mental health screenings. We must educate individuals, their families, and the general population about the clear warning signs of trauma and social disengagement.

As a Member of the House Appropriations Subcommittees on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies and Labor, Health and Human Service, and Education;the former Chair of the Committee on Public Safety in the California Assembly; a former County Supervisor in Santa Clara County; and an educator of 30 years, I have been on the front line of these issues for decades. I believe we owe it to the victims of these heart wrenching tragedies and their families to make real and lasting progress on the issue of gun violence, by taking a holistic approach, now.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this important issue. Your comments help me to better represent the people of our Congressional District.

Sincerely,
Michael M. Honda
Member of Congress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-26-2013, 3:33 PM

It appears we now live in a time when the rights of the people of one of the largest nations on earth are now belittled for the lives of a few. Our own government would seek to enable criminals to find easier targets as well as prevent the safekeeping of future generations. People like Mr Honda and DiFi should be treated as traitors to the constitution and punished accordingly.

P.S come for my guns I F****** dare you
Old 01-27-2013, 8:29 AM

The big problem as I see it is that our choice for politicians all comes down to 'a bad choice' or a 'worse choice' And the same IDIOTS keep getting re-elected by the same IDIOTS voting! Time for a revolution!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 9:12 AM

To date, Brad Sherman, Feinstein and Boxer have not responded to my messages and emails. Mr. Sherman still requires more information regarding my zip code - even thought I have lived continously in his district since getting into office.

WHAT A JOKE!
Old 01-27-2013, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reply from Congressman Mike Honda, 17th District...probably the longest reply I've ever gotten.

Quote:
Dear Mr. WJC ,

Thank you for contacting me about gun safety issues. I appreciate hearing the
views of my constituents, and I am glad you took the time to correspond with
me about this important matter.

As an avid outdoorsman and hunter, I recognize that the United States Constitution
guarantees our citizens the right to keep and bear arms. At the same time that we
can all acknowledge this basic right, I believe that we should also be able to
come together to develop reasonable laws designed to ensure that the right to
bear arms is exercised safely and responsibly. Just as we all celebrate and defend
the First Amendment but also understand that practical limits must be in place,
such as not shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater, so too should we be able to
respect the Second Amendment while simultaneously supporting commonsense regulations.

The heartbreaking elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that left
20 children and 7 adults dead is a stark reminder of the continued culture of
violence that prevails in this country. The shocking nature of this tragedy
brought an end to our country's detachment from the disturbing trend of gun
violence and replaced it with a resolute call for change. President Obama, in response,
established a working group on gun violence tasked with presenting real reforms. I believe
we must take a three-pronged approach to solve this terrible problem.

First, we must recognize that this is a problem greater than just gun control. It has
to do with our nation and its socioeconomic policies. We must gain a holistic
understanding of the various factors causing violence and, in turn, provide a
comprehensive solution. The 2012 Peace Index, a yearly study done by the
Institute for Economics and Peace on the cost of violence across the world,
found that the least violent states in America have some of the highest rates
of health insurance coverage, high school graduation, educational opportunity,
and perceived access to basic services, as well as among the lowest rates of
income inequality, poverty, teen pregnancy and infant mortality.

These findings are especially relevant in light of Congress' current budget,
deficit and debt negotiations. At a time when many are struggling to find
economic opportunity, many in the Republican Party want to cut basic social
services that keep many people afloat -- and safe. We must promote policies
that strengthen communities from the ground up if we are to prevent tragedies
that shock them through their cores.

Second, we must understand the role that gun laws play in gun violence. As a
gun owner myself, I respect the rights of gun owners and the Second Amendment.
These rights, however, are subject to restrictions to ensure the safety of all
citizens. Our nation already has a framework, though certainly not perfect, for
proper background checking and licensing. Under Republican leadership, however,
Congress has severely underfunded the National Instant Criminal Background Check
System and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives – resulting
in an incomplete background database that hasn't expanded to all fifty
states. The severe lack of resources also prevents the Bureau from conducting
yearly inspections, as mandated by federal law, of all federally licensed gun
dealers. Congress has also undermined the efforts of law enforcement personnel
by restricting them from fully tracking gun purchases, uses, and sales through
a series of measures known as the Tiahrt Amendments.

This is unacceptable. I strongly believe in the need to not only provide the
resources and authority to enforce gun laws that are already on the books,
but also to re-enact the federal assault weapons ban, with even tighter
restrictions that remove some of the loopholes of the original ban. When the
original 1994 to 2004 ban was in effect, gun violence and mass shootings fell
dramatically. A ban should be a ban across the board.

Third, we need to improve the state of mental health care in our nation. There
is no reason that it should be easier to purchase a lethal weapon in our country
than it is get a mental health screening. This is why I have advocated for the
concept of mental health parity throughout my career in Congress. We must ensure
that we consider mental ailments on the same level as physical ailments. We must
promote yearly screenings for mental health, like we do for physical health, and
push for full coverage of these screenings by health insurance companies. This
can be done by providing incentives to insurers and patients, like we do for physicals,
for completing yearly mental health screenings. We must educate individuals, their families,
and the general population about the clear warning signs of trauma and social disengagement.

As a Member of the House Appropriations Subcommittees on Commerce, Justice, Science,
and Related Agencies and Labor, Health and Human Service, and Education;the former Chair
of the Committee on Public Safety in the California Assembly; a former County Supervisor
in Santa Clara County; and an educator of 30 years, I have been on the front line of
these issues for decades. I believe we owe it to the victims of these heart wrenching
tragedies and their families to make real and lasting progress on the issue of gun
violence, by taking a holistic approach, now.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this important
issue. Your comments help me to better represent the people of our Congressional District.

Sincerely,
Michael M. Honda
Member of Congress

-- John Wayne as Davy Crockett in The Alamo
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Three weeks and no response from Barbara Lee. I think she has me on the 'ignore' list...
Old 02-04-2013, 6:07 AM

Jeff Denham finally weighed in:

February 4, 2013

Dear LP,

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts regarding the tragic school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. As a father of two, I share your disbelief over this terrible crime.* My wife Sonia and I send our most sincere thoughts and prayers to the Newtown community during this horrific time and our hearts truly go out to the families of those tragically lost.

I agree with President Obama, who said "There's no law or set of laws that can prevent every senseless act of violence in our society." But what we can do to better curb gun violence is remove criminals from the street before they have a chance to commit a violent crime with a gun.* This would be more effective than denying a responsible citizen's right to own a firearm. We also have more to gain from firearms safety education than we do from gun bans. Educational courses such as hunter's safety will protect more lives, reduce injuries, and prevent more deaths than any legislation restricting firearms.*

I support each American's right to keep and bear arms as outlined in the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. This position will not waiver as I consider legislation in the House of Representatives. With this right, however, comes a grave responsibility. Those responsibilities include the safe use of firearms, and familiarity and adherence to laws governing their use. These issues are central in taking personal responsibility for the safe use and care of firearms. Again, I don't believe taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizen's will stop criminals, who are intent on violence, from committing these atrocities.*

Once again, thank you for contacting me. I encourage you to stay up to date with my activity in Washington and in the 10th District on my website,*www.denham.house.gov, and on my social media sites:*@RepJeffDenham on Twitter and*Representative Jeff Denham on*Facebook.*
Sincerely,

JEFF DENHAM
United States Representative
Old 02-04-2013, 6:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Got my response from Jeff Denham this morning too. Same response as the poster above.
Old 02-04-2013, 2:51 PM

I received the same response from Jeff Denham.
Old 02-07-2013, 7:12 PM
Veteran Member

Default sent a nice letter to Mike Honda Opposing the socalled AW ban. Santa Clara area....

This is his reply...
The bolded print is the real let down...so scroll down unless you want to read a bunch of BS....
Thank you for contacting me about gun safety issues. I appreciate hearing the views of my constituents, and I am glad you took the time to correspond with me about this important matter.
As an avid outdoorsman and hunter, I recognize that the United States Constitution guarantees our citizens the right to keep and bear arms. At the same time that we can all acknowledge this basic right, I believe that we should also be able to come together to develop reasonable laws designed to ensure that the right to bear arms is exercised safely and responsibly. Just as we all celebrate and defend the First Amendment but also understand that practical limits must be in place, such as not shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater, so too should we be able to respect the Second Amendment while simultaneously supporting commonsense regulations.
The heartbreaking elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that left 20 children and 7 adults dead is a stark reminder of the continued culture of violence that prevails in this country. The shocking nature of this tragedy brought an end to our country's detachment from the disturbing trend of gun violence and replaced it with a resolute call for change. President Obama, in response, established a working group on gun violence tasked with presenting real reforms. I believe we must take a three-pronged approach to solve this terrible problem.
First, we must recognize that this is a problem greater than just gun control. It has to do with our nation and its socioeconomic policies. We must gain a holistic understanding of the various factors causing violence and, in turn, provide a comprehensive solution. The 2012 Peace Index, a yearly study done by the Institute for Economics and Peace on the cost of violence across the world, found that the least violent states in America have some of the highest rates of health insurance coverage, high school graduation, educational opportunity, and perceived access to basic services, as well as among the lowest rates of income inequality, poverty, teen pregnancy and infant mortality.
These findings are especially relevant in light of Congress' current budget, deficit and debt negotiations. At a time when many are struggling to find economic opportunity, many in the Republican Party want to cut basic social services that keep many people afloat -- and safe. We must promote policies that strengthen communities from the ground up if we are to prevent tragedies that shock them through their cores.

Second, we must understand the role that gun laws play in gun violence. As a gun owner myself, I respect the rights of gun owners and the Second Amendment. These rights, however, are subject to restrictions to ensure the safety of all citizens. Our nation already has a framework, though certainly not perfect, for proper background checking and licensing. Under Republican leadership, however, Congress has severely underfunded the National Instant Criminal Background Check System and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives – resulting in an incomplete background database that hasn't expanded to all fifty states. The severe lack of resources also prevents the Bureau from conducting yearly inspections, as mandated by federal law, of all federally licensed gun dealers. Congress has also undermined the efforts of law enforcement personnel by restricting them from fully tracking gun purchases, uses, and sales through a series of measures known as the Tiahrt Amendments.

This is unacceptable. I strongly believe in the need to not only provide the resources and authority to enforce gun laws that are already on the books, but also to re-enact the federal assault weapons ban, with even tighter restrictions that remove some of the loopholes of the original ban. When the original 1994 to 2004 ban was in effect, gun violence and mass shootings fell dramatically. A ban should be a ban across the board.
Third, we need to improve the state of mental health care in our nation. There is no reason that it should be easier to purchase a lethal weapon in our country than it is get a mental health screening. This is why I have advocated for the concept of mental health parity throughout my career in Congress. We must ensure that we consider mental ailments on the same level as physical ailments. We must promote yearly screenings for mental health, like we do for physical health, and push for full coverage of these screenings by health insurance companies. This can be done by providing incentives to insurers and patients, like we do for physicals, for completing yearly mental health screenings. We must educate individuals, their families, and the general population about the clear warning signs of trauma and social disengagement.

As a Member of the House Appropriations Subcommittees on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies and Labor, Health and Human Service, and Education;the former Chair of the Committee on Public Safety in the California Assembly; a former County Supervisor in Santa Clara County; and an educator of 30 years, I have been on the front line of these issues for decades. I believe we owe it to the victims of these heart wrenching tragedies and their families to make real and lasting progress on the issue of gun violence, by taking a holistic approach, now.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this important issue. Your comments help me to better represent the people of our Congressional District.

Sincerely,

Michael M. Honda
Member of Congress

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...
Old 02-07-2013, 7:16 PM

I just emailed peters as well. Is there any hope that the NRA could sue and win like they did with the laws in Illinois?
Old 02-07-2013, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

hey grass stains! Just noticed that you got the same letter! I doubt if any of our letters are even being read. The form letter is sent automatically and our letters are trashed the second the robot sees the word "oppose"... Our government at work... for the people, by the people, That are ruling the people.

The DOJ knows that two guys with semi autos that have a folding or collapsable stock, or pistol grip could take out California's entire police force, SWAT, and the National Guard. Jeeze, that pistol grip and stock are really dangerous...

Last edited by diginit; 02-07-2013 at 7:29 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 7:44 PM

Well I got my auto reply from Peters saying he has a volume of emails and will back to me ASAP. He did give me his DC and San Diego office numbers. Guess i will be calling both tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 AM

Default A w

Does any one have the source and statistics that show a decline in gun violence during the Federal assault ban?
Old 02-11-2013, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denubilo View Post
Does any one have the source and statistics that show a decline in gun violence during the Federal assault ban?
No, because it didn't happen.
Old 02-11-2013, 1:22 AM

Honda wants us all to get yearly mental health screenings from our government controlled health-care system? That's terrifying.

Maybe I've given our current rulers less credit than they deserve. Maybe they are excellent students of history: plenty of 20th century dictators found a government-run mental health system an excellent way to discredit or simply lock away anyone who dared to oppose them.

Who needs to defeat the 2nd Amendment when all you need is a board of tame doctors willing to declare that the desire to own a gun is a sign of dangerous paranoia?
Old 02-11-2013, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for writing to share your thoughts on gun ownership. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response. Each week, I receive over 2,000 pieces of mail, and it often takes me longer to respond than I would like.

I have always respected the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. Americans who observe the law should be allowed to own firearms legally and without harassment. At the same time, I'm haunted by the events that took place in Newtown, Connecticut. Those twenty-six lives were taken from us too early. And not too long ago, a mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado took the lives of six people, injuring 58 others. As I watch my friend and former colleague, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, recover from her injuries sustained just over two years ago in a shooting in Tucson, I must ask myself: what are we doing to prevent these tragedies from happening again?

I believe we can honor the Second Amendment while keeping the deadliest weapons out of our neighborhoods. As a former mental health social worker, I think it's imperative that we make it easier to get treatment for mental illnesses. We need to review our current background check process to ensure that guns are kept out of the wrong hands. I understand your concerns but I do believe that we seriously need to revisit the expiration of the assault weapons and high capacity magazine bans. Rest assured, I will continue to advocate for responsible measures that will reduce and hopefully one day prevent senseless acts of violence, while upholding Second Amendment rights for law-abiding Americans.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. As your representative, I both need and value your perspective. Please sign up for my E-Newsletter at my website http://house.gov/susandavis/ if you would like to receive regular updates about what is happening in Congress.

With warm regards,

SUSAN A. DAVIS

There is that meaningless term again "assault weapon".

Well, how hard is it to get a face to face with a house rep???
Looks like an opportunity to attempt to bring some facts in on the matter.
Of course she got an "F" rating once from the NRA.
But her district now includes what used to be Duncan Hunter's so I am a new voice she is supposed to represent!

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Dear emptybottle151,

Thank you for writing with your thoughts about gun control. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response. Each week, I receive over 2,000 pieces of mail, and it often takes me longer to respond than I would like.

First, I would like to thank you for your courageous service to your country. As a Ranking Member of the Military Personnel Subcommittee, I have been a consistent advocate for our brave men and women in uniform.I would also like to assure you that I have always respected the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. Americans who observe the law should be allowed to own firearms legally and without harassment.At the same time, I'm haunted by the events that took place in Newtown, Connecticut, and I believe that a national effort is necessary to ensure that tragedies like this do not happen again.

I believe we can honor the Second Amendment while keeping the deadliest weapons out of our neighborhoods. As a former mental health social worker, I think it's imperative that we make it easier to get treatment for mental illnesses. We need to review our current background check process to ensure that guns are kept out of the wrong hands. I understand your concerns, but I do believe that we seriously need to revisit the expiration of the assault weapons and high capacity magazine bans. Rest assured, I will continue to advocate for responsible measures that will reduce and hopefully one day prevent senseless acts of violence, while upholding Second Amendment rights for law-abiding Americans.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. As your representative, I both need and value your perspective. Please sign up for my E-Newsletter at my website http://house.gov/susandavis/ if you would like to receive regular updates about what is happening in Congress.

With warm regards,

SUSAN A. DAVIS
Member of Congress

Last edited by emptybottle151; 02-12-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 2:15 PM

Just wrote Feinstein, Boxer, and Eshoo.

Dear_________

I would like to take a few minutes of your time to address the recent push in Washington and Sacramento toward even more restrictive gun laws than we already have.

Many in congress have said that the framers of our democracy had never contemplated the need for weapons in the hands of the civilian population in the 21st century and that the second amendment needs to be revisited or even changed or abolished. I think the premise is dead wrong. I believe from everything I have read (including the federalist papers, Madison, Monroe, Jeffereson, Washington, the Declaration of Independence and Constitution) that they knew exactly how important civilian access to arms was, and continues to be. Not only as a deterrent to a tyrannical government, but mostly as a means of protecting our families, property, and rights.

You can argue against certain types of weapons (for instance I have no issue with the 1934 NFA, and certainly we should not have anti-aircraft weapons or bazookas, or anything like that) but the AR/AK platform of civilian rifles that are semi automatic only are within what passes for a reasonable self defense weapon and should not be banned or controlled more than they already are.

If you want to use Newtown as an example, in California that rifle can not be legally possessed because of it's detachable magazine and is already controlled. Furthermore, that particular rifle was stolen from an owner who did not properly store it even though she knew she was living with an emotially unstable and potentially dangerous son. She paid the ultimate price for that foolishness.

In Heller v District of Columbia, and also McDonald v. Chicago the supreme court has held that the second amendment is an individual right which is not to be infringed. It did not say that if a large number of people are uncomfortable with guns in general then it is ok to infringe the right. it did not say if there are x number of murders it is ok to infringe the right. In fact, as I read both decisions, there is no allowable reason to infringe the right. This is no accident.

Many California senators and representatives say that the second amendment must be carefully balanced in regard to all American's right to live in a safe society. First and foremost, this "right to live in a safe society" is not a right at all, but a goal. A goal does not trump inalienable rights that are granted not by government, but by our creator. If you were to decide that free speech deprives Americans of the right to live in a safe society because it may incite some to violence, would you promote limits on the first amendment? Certainly not. It is impossible to guarantee the safety of all citizens at all times. We have police and fire departments to help with security, but they will be the first to tell you there is only so much they can do and that often we are on our own. Government can not possibly ensure that all Americans live in a safe society.

The sheer number of criminals who prey on our society and will show absolutely no regard for any new gun control laws is reason enough to not infringe on our right to protect ourselves. By being a law abiding American with no criminal record I am able to exercise my second amendment rights and own a gun legally. If, God forbid, someone were to break into my home or accost myself and my family with intent to harm I am able to protect us. Government has no right to try to take that right away from me. Every study done has shown that gun control does not work. How could it? The criminals don't care, and they are the only ones committing the crimes.

The California Sheriff's Association has stated that they do not support the gun control measures being discussed in Sacramento or Washington right now, because they believe as I do and many millions around the nation that self defense is a God given right. If you truly want to make Americans safer, you must address the mental health issues and start working to fund that area to actually do some good. I would hate to see these Draconian measures passed only to cost the taxpayers of California untold millions of dollars in losing court battles. Make no mistake, these laws will never stand up in federal court.

Please, do not try to appease the fears of Californians by punishing perfectly responsible and law abiding gun owners in the state. Let's work on funding mental health facilities, improving education, providing meaningful job opportunities for college and high school grads, and working to enforce the laws we currently have on the books. They are some of the strictest in the nation already. Let's go after the criminals and gangs, not the people who continue to make this state a great place.

Respectfully,
Old 02-12-2013, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

My Congresswoman is Barbara Lee, it would be waste of time requesting she vote against any unconstitutional gun legislation.

George Orwell
Old 02-12-2013, 5:04 PM

I've been emailing Mike Honda over and over again so I would get him or one of his "peeps" to email me back with something that isn't automated but no such luck. They just send the same email over and over again. My little brother and I and a few other relatives got frustrated so we sent hand-written letters (well more liked typed and printed) yesterday to every California Senator since we can't email all of them. I want to see which one takes the time to write back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M62 View Post
No, because it didn't happen.
This is the Federal summary report on the Assault weapons ban of 1994 http://www.mediafire.com/view/?9fz0vg8nm4qn1t2.

The author clearly states the ban was neither a hindrance or assistance towards gun violence. In plain English, it was a meaningless law that did more harm than good.

I swear between this "assault weapons" ban and my C&R license becoming useless to me on Jan. 2014, I really may have to move to another state.

Last edited by Mr Grass Stains; 02-12-2013 at 5:05 PM.. Reason: Corrected misspelled words
Old 02-12-2013, 9:20 PM

^ Bury them in paper!
Old 02-12-2013, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptybottle151 View Post
Dear emptybottle151,

Thank you for writing with your thoughts about gun control. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response. Each week, I receive over 2,000 pieces of mail, and it often takes me longer to respond than I would like.

First, I would like to thank you for your courageous service to your country. As a Ranking Member of the Military Personnel Subcommittee, I have been a consistent advocate for our brave men and women in uniform.I would also like to assure you that I have always respected the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. Americans who observe the law should be allowed to own firearms legally and without harassment.At the same time, I'm haunted by the events that took place in Newtown, Connecticut, and I believe that a national effort is necessary to ensure that tragedies like this do not happen again.

I believe we can honor the Second Amendment while keeping the deadliest weapons out of our neighborhoods. As a former mental health social worker, I think it's imperative that we make it easier to get treatment for mental illnesses. We need to review our current background check process to ensure that guns are kept out of the wrong hands. I understand your concerns, but I do believe that we seriously need to revisit the expiration of the assault weapons and high capacity magazine bans. Rest assured, I will continue to advocate for responsible measures that will reduce and hopefully one day prevent senseless acts of violence, while upholding Second Amendment rights for law-abiding Americans.

With warm regards,

SUSAN A. DAVIS
Member of Congress
Basically same as mine other then the veteran part where she toots her own horn.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 02-12-2013, 9:38 PM

Quote:
^ Bury them in paper!
I wish! Cost me ~ $300 to accommodate everyone. We went to my uncle's ranch, a little bit near Manteca

$20 - for paper and stamps
$100 - for food
$80 - for gas
$100 - for the EXTRA rounds for the guns I didn't think my idiot cousin would bring but the **** was like "You pay for ammo and we'll shoot", so I just had to haha.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 AM

Emailed my reps and senators as well as State Senators and Assemblymembers,
Only reply to date, CA State Assemblymember Donald P. Wagner who actually took the time, he wrote:
Dear Mr....

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your thoughts on the current gun-control debate that the country is presently engaged in. While there may be calls from some of my colleagues in the California Legislature to restrict access to firearms in the coming year, I have always been a firm supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and will continue to vote in defense of Californians' right to bear arms.

I will keep your thoughts and concerns in mind should any firearm related bills come before me in the future. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Donald P. Wagner
Assemblymember, 68th District
Old 02-15-2013, 9:19 PM

Default Barbara Boxer

Dear emptybottle151,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation on this or similar issues.
If you would like additional information about my work in the U.S. Senate, I invite you to visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can send a message to me about current events or pending legislation, access my statements and press releases, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past federal legislation.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator
Old 02-15-2013, 9:20 PM

Default Dianne Feinstein

Dear emptybottle151:

Thank you for contacting me to share your opposition to assault weapons legislation. I respect your opinion on this important issue and welcome the opportunity to provide my point of view.

Mass shootings are a serious problem in our country, and I have watched this problem get worse and worse over the 40 years I have been in public life. From the 1966 shooting rampage at the University of Texas that killed 14 people and wounded 32 others, to the Newtown massacre that killed 20 children and 6 school teachers and faculty, I have seen more and more of these killings. I have had families tell me that they no longer feel safe in a mall, in a movie theater, in their business, and in other public places, because these deadly weapons are so readily available. These assault weapons too often fall into the hands of grievance killers, juveniles, gangs, and the deranged.

I recognize that the Second Amendment provides an individual right to bear arms, but I do not believe that right is unlimited or that it precludes taking action to prevent mass shootings. Indeed, in the same Supreme Court decision that recognized the individual right to bear arms , District of Columbia v. Heller , the Court also held that this right, like other constitutional rights, is not unlimited. That is why assault weapons bans have consistently been upheld in the courts, both before and after the Heller decision. I believe regulation of these weapons is appropriate.

Once again, thank you for your letter. Although we may disagree, I appreciate hearing from you and will be mindful of your thoughts as the debate on this issue continues. If you have any additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Dear emptybottle151:

Thank you for contacting me to share your opposition to assault weapons legislation. I respect your opinion on this important issue and welcome the opportunity to provide my point of view.

Mass shootings are a serious problem in our country, and I have watched this problem get worse and worse over the 40 years I have been in public life. From the 1966 shooting rampage at the University of Texas that killed 14 people and wounded 32 others, to the Newtown massacre that killed 20 children and 6 school teachers and faculty, I have seen more and more of these killings. I have had families tell me that they no longer feel safe in a mall, in a movie theater, in their business, and in other public places, because these deadly weapons are so readily available. These assault weapons too often fall into the hands of grievance killers, juveniles, gangs, and the deranged.

I recognize that the Second Amendment provides an individual right to bear arms, but I do not believe that right is unlimited or that it precludes taking action to prevent mass shootings. Indeed, in the same Supreme Court decision that recognized the individual right to bear arms , District of Columbia v. Heller , the Court also held that this right, like other constitutional rights, is not unlimited. That is why assault weapons bans have consistently been upheld in the courts, both before and after the Heller decision. I believe regulation of these weapons is appropriate.

Once again, thank you for your letter. Although we may disagree, I appreciate hearing from you and will be mindful of your thoughts as the debate on this issue continues. If you have any additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator
I got the same message as you did emptybottle. It seems like another automated message from another useless Senator.

On another note, I was talking to my local police officer (won't say who since he might get in trouble) and he's saying that a lot of the police are on our side since the laws are becoming ridiculous. Problem is, police chiefs' get their jobs by being appointed by city officials so they don't dare speak up or lose their jobs (gotta get paid right?). Also, most likely what happened in Colorado will probably happen to us. Laws being passed that slowly dwindle away our rights, he pointed out that the new long gun law in 2014 is one such thing. Anyways, told me that to stick it to Feinstein, he bought a Colt AR in 2004 and a Windham Weaponry built one a month ago. A good officer he is, haha.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM

Many resident's of Bera's district got the same response I did...basically saying "I haven't been around long enough to be able to address the issues you raised".

Funny though, he did a local appearance here in Folsom and said the public "doesn't require 30-round magazines".

We gotta let this Richard know that he will be a one-term wonder if he doesn't change his tune - then (because he won't) we need to make that happen.
Old 02-21-2013, 8:31 AM

my response from congressman Jim Costa

Dear XXX,

Dear

Thank you for contacting me regarding preventing gun violence in the United States. I understand your concerns, and I appreciate hearing from you.

As a gun owner myself, I support the right to keep and bear arms, as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to our Constitution. I know that the vast majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens who are proud of our county’s tradition of responsible gun ownership. As such, I oppose efforts to abridge the right of law abiding citizens to protect oneself, one's property and one's family as well as the use of firearms for recreational purposes.

Our nation has suffered greatly as a result of dangerous individuals using guns to commit unthinkable acts of violence in our schools, shopping malls, and places of worship. From Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, to Taft High School in Bakersfield, California, gun violence has hurt far too many Americans. While no set of laws will ever deter a madman from using guns to inflict harm, I believe that we must take steps to protect our communities and our children from gun violence.

While we work to protect our Second Amendment right, we must also work to protect our citizens from gun violence by preventing firearms from slipping into the hands of criminals. First, we must prevent those who would commit acts of violence from getting access to guns by strengthening the background check system and eliminating dangerous loopholes. Second, it is critical that we ensure our local law enforcement agencies have the resources they need to keep cops on the beat in our communities and schools. Third, because too many of those responsible for these tragedies suffer from mental illness, we must ensure every American has access to adequate and appropriate mental health services.

It will not be easy to solve the problem of gun violence in our country. While we may not agree on every aspect of this issue, I hope we all can agree that if there is even one step we can take to prevent another tragedy like Sandy Hook, we should.

I will carefully consider your thoughts on all legislation that comes before me for a vote in the House of Representatives. At the end of the day it must be bi-partisan and common sense legislation that law enforcement can support.

Again, thank you for taking the time to express your views. I appreciate your input. Additionally, I encourage you to visit my website at www.costa.house.govto get up-to-date information about the work I am doing on behalf of our Valley.

Sincerely,

Jim Costa
Member of Congress
Old 03-01-2013, 5:25 PM

Just wanted to give an update to everybody. So far, I have gotten exactly ZERO replies from anybody from the paper letters that I sent a few weeks ago. However, Barbara Boxer FINALLY replied back to me with an email although it's more of a thank you for your thoughts email than anything else.

Dear Mr. Grass Stains:

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation on this or similar issues.

If you would like additional information about my work in the U.S. Senate, I invite you to visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can send a message to me about current events or pending legislation, access my statements and press releases, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past federal legislation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator