Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Default Emergency food (Gluten free)

Does anyone know of a source for gluten free rations? I have every other imaginable item I might need for an emergency but food. I have Celiac so eating gluten would make me inoperable within a few hours time.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

http://www.glutenfreeemergencykits.com/

How about doing a google search on "Gluten Free Emergency Survival Food"

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 01-23-2013, 1:00 PM

Rice and beans and corn have no gluten. Start from there.

Stay away from wheat barley and rye and you are good to go.
Old 01-23-2013, 1:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Rice and beans and corn have no gluten. Start from there.

Stay away from wheat barley and rye and you are good to go.
That is like telling a diabetic to stay away from sugar, honey, and molasses. Since the OP has stated that he has Ciliac disease, I am pretty sure he knows what types of foods do not contain gluten and knows to avoid the foods that do.

He was specifically looking for gluten free rations using the title "Emergency Food". To me this indicates the he is looking for some prepackaged survival food.

Old 01-23-2013, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
That is like telling a diabetic to stay away from sugar, honey, and molasses. Since the OP has stated that he has Ciliac disease, I am pretty sure he knows what types of foods do not contain gluten and knows to avoid the foods that do.

He was specifically looking for gluten free rations using the title "Emergency Food". To me this indicates the he is looking for some prepackaged survival food.
Those are the 3 mainstays of my food storage. He would be well served to start with those basics. Some canned meats, fruits, veggies and he would be well on his way to feeding his family indefinitely without gluten's ever touching his lips.

All this BS about buying MRE's and freezed dried foods is just that. We did just fine 40 years ago with food storage in cans and storing the basics. Nice thing about it is it is cheap to do.
Old 01-23-2013, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quaker oats...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 01-23-2013, 2:17 PM

Yep. Great food and stores forever. Makes great cookies.
Old 01-23-2013, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Those are the 3 mainstays of my food storage. He would be well served to start with those basics. Some canned meats, fruits, veggies and he would be well on his way to feeding his family indefinitely without gluten's ever touching his lips.

All this BS about buying MRE's and freezed dried foods is just that. We did just fine 40 years ago with food storage in cans and storing the basics. Nice thing about it is it is cheap to do.
So you are basically telling the OP that he is a fool for asking his question because it doesn't fit your particular lifestyle. I am not arguing the logic or benefits of creating your own food stores, I was simply addressing the question asked by the OP. Of course it will be much better in the long run to put up your own food. Eat what you prep, and prep what you eat. However, he may be simply wanting a convenient kit with which to ride out a few days of a minor emergency.

If someone asks, "Where can I get a good fish sandwich?" the correct answer is not, "Well, you can catch good Halibut of the coast of Alaska, and then make some homemade bread from stone ground grains in an oven made from local stones and fueled with driftwood gathered off the beach."

The correct answer gives the individual the information they were actually looking for. "Good fish sandwiches? Two blocks down at the restaurant on the corner."

The OP was looking specifically for information on where to get "Emergency Food" and went on to specify that he was looking for "Gluten Free Rations".

I actually answered his question, while you simply gave him information that he already knows, seeing as he mentioned that he has Ciliac Disease.

Last edited by Decoligny; 01-23-2013 at 2:37 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:
I agree but I have a mixture of both anyway. Here's an idea for you .. 40 oz can Nalley's beef stew @ Winco $2 over steamed rice with with biscuits from foil pouch of Betty Crocker "just add water" mix. Good eats on any day and you can feed a big hungry family for cheap.
Old 01-23-2013, 2:50 PM

(not trying to sound like a smart @$$)Try google with key words like "Gluten free backpacking food" Looks like there's quite a bit out there.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/augason...ku=sku8404135S
Old 01-23-2013, 2:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X231 View Post
I agree but I have a mixture of both anyway. Here's an idea for you .. 40 oz can Nalley's beef stew @ Winco $2 over steamed rice with with biscuits from foil pouch of Betty Crocker "just add water" mix. Good eats on any day and you can feed a big hungry family for cheap.
Try to keep the thread on topic: GLUTEN FREE EMERGENCY FOOD.

The biscuits are made from wheat. Wheat contains Gluten. OP would be hurting if he ate this.

Nally's Beef Stew contains enriched WHEAT flour. Probably used as a thickener. GLUTEN AGAIN. Really trying to stick it to the OP here.

Last edited by Decoligny; 01-23-2013 at 3:04 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quinoa as a base and put what you want on top such as canned meats, vegetables, or fruit.

I did an experiment last summer using Quinoa and veggies/fruits from the garden each morning for breakfast - retained all my energy for 3 months and only lost 8 lbs.

I can eat Gluten but did it for joint pain which diminished to almost zero.

My extreme sports friends claim that gluten is joint inflammatory as you get older.
Old 01-23-2013, 3:47 PM

Quote:
So you are basically telling the OP that he is a fool for asking his question because it doesn't fit your particular lifestyle. I am not arguing the logic or benefits of creating your own food stores, I was simply addressing the question asked by the OP. Of course it will be much better in the long run to put up your own food. Eat what you prep, and prep what you eat. However, he may be simply wanting a convenient kit with which to ride out a few days of a minor emergency.

If someone asks, "Where can I get a good fish sandwich?" the correct answer is not, "Well, you can catch good Halibut of the coast of Alaska, and then make some homemade bread from stone ground grains in an oven made from local stones and fueled with driftwood gathered off the beach."

The correct answer gives the individual the information they were actually looking for. "Good fish sandwiches? Two blocks down at the restaurant on the corner."

The OP was looking specifically for information on where to get "Emergency Food" and went on to specify that he was looking for "Gluten Free Rations".

I actually answered his question, while you simply gave him information that he already knows, seeing as he mentioned that he has Ciliac Disease.
Didn't imply or call anybody anything, you seem to be doing that. I simply gave him some advice that will work for him. I'm not sure I would trust any food processor to have properly labeled food with all the ingredients listed. My family has 3 people that don't tolerate gluten's. We are extremely careful with what we eat and had problems with some so called gluten free packaged foods.

Now if you don't think rice, beans, corn or oats make good rations we can discuss it.

Your fish sandwich analogy is laughable.
Old 01-23-2013, 3:52 PM

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Gluten-Free-Food
Old 01-24-2013, 8:54 AM

thanks for the help, found a few things. I have staples beans, rice, quinoa, buckwheat and the like, mainly trying to find meals - not the desserts, soups and such. Unfortunately most oats are "offlist" since they process wheat on the same equipment. I should of been clearer, some of the food stuffs I have found that are gluten free I wouldn't feed to my dog - they are terrible and a huge waste of money.
Anyhow the help is appreciated.
Old 01-24-2013, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Quaker oats...
Oats have glutein...
Old 01-24-2013, 9:10 AM

Oats only contain gluten if they have been cross bred with other grains and there can be some contamination with gluten from the processing machines.

It has never been a problem at my house with oats.

Pure oats are gluten free.
Old 01-24-2013, 3:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It is also good to know that the terms "corn gluten" and "glutenous rice" have nothing to do with the gluten that affects celiac sufferers.

Old 01-25-2013, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

I am wondering about Celiac disease and GMO wheat .
Old 01-25-2013, 9:13 PM

Costco has some....
Old 01-26-2013, 9:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm GF as well. Beans, rice, dried corn, picking lime to turn the corn into masa for tortillas, canned fruits, veggies, stored water, salt, spices, canned meats, are all good long term storage items.

The get home bag needs a can if spam, a small jar of peanut butter, and some chocolate peanutbutter power bars. Maybe some tortilla chips or something for carbs as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
I am wondering about Celiac disease and GMO wheat .
Celiac disease is an extreme sensitivity, almost an alergy, to a certain protien found primarily in wheat, called gluten. GMO wheat contains this protien just like 100% natural wheat does.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM

I'd start with rice, beans, and corn as the bulk of your food prep. Sugar and sea salt will make it all taste good. Next look to store some freeze dried veggies like onions for additional flavoring.
Old 02-01-2013, 3:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Celiac disease is an extreme sensitivity, almost an alergy, to a certain protien found primarily in wheat, called gluten. GMO wheat contains this protien just like 100% natural wheat does.
Celiac diaease is supposidly a "new" health problem. My wife and daughters after years and years of gut problems they went on a gluten free diet ,it is almost not easy as glutin is cheap and is used in most prepared foods and spice and flavoring packages. Some foods not thought to have gluten are processed in the same plants as gluten grains hence oats may have gluten due to contamination ,no biggie unless you need to avoid wheat and other grain glutens. Anyway eliminating gluten changed a whole lot about their health . My wife orders lots from Vitacost at quite a savings as compared to local outlets.
http://www.vitacost.com/food-grocery-2