Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-26-2013, 2:54 PM

Default Beretta 96FS vs Beretta 96 Brigadier?

I have had a Beretta 92FS Inox for years and love it. I am intersted in purchasing either a 96FS or 96 Brigadier in Inox and have heard good and bad about the Brigadier. Does anyone have one who could shed some light?
Old 01-26-2013, 3:44 PM
Banned

If I was a Beretta fan, I'd want to own a "Centurion". Just saying.....
Old 01-26-2013, 4:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Between the two, you're better off with the Brig.

The slide was strengthened at the locking notches in response to the pressures of the .40 cartridge
Old 01-26-2013, 6:56 PM

I have a pair of 96's, one SS and a blue one. The blue one I put a Beretta .22 conversion on it a long time ago but it was still going strong having shot several thousand rounds of .40 through it before. The SS one is still one of my favorite pistols although I probably only take it to the range once or twice a year. I really like the fact that its all metal, it feels more mechanical to me. The more modern polymer guns just feel different to me (I own several of those too.). Neither one of my 96's has any signs of cracking or unusual wear. The Brigadier or a Centurion would be a desirable model due to the stronger slide.
The 96 was very popular in the 90's with many LEO agencies (SFPD for example). If you like your 92 so much a 96 would be a fun addition to a collection. Good luck.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 01-26-2013, 9:01 PM

I have the 96 Elite(brig. slide), thousands of rounds through it and no problems.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM

Brigadier slides are wider than the 92FS. Also, at one point the side of the open top slide is taller/higher. This causes problems with cross compatibility of holsters for the 92FS and Brigadier slide Beretta's.

I prefer the Brigadier slide models but they cost more and are harder to find. They are beefed up version of the 92FS or 96FS slides.

If you just want a 96FS or 96G functionally, you can just get the upper (complete slide, barrel, recoil spring) and some magazines. The uppers usually run $250-$300. They do not need to go through a FFL. These can be bought on the forum here at times or check out the Beretta Forum.

I started with a 92FS, then added a 96G slide. Now I can shoot 9 MM or 40 Cal and have the same trigger.

Options, Options, Options.
Old 01-27-2013, 6:41 AM

Thanks to all of you for your feedback! I did not know you could just change the top end and switch calibers.

I think I will try to find a Brigadier to purchase. If anyone knows of anyone selling a 96 Brigadier Inox in all silver, please let me know.