Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-18-2013, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoneedsafety? View Post
I've been there done that! I kicked the sh*t out of a neighbor (he hit me with a beer bottle first) and had a TRO. I got a deputy at the door telling me to stay 500' away, which I stated was impossible since I live in SoCal and he lives next door. Basically it was a no contact order, which he later rescinded when his wife reminded him that he started and before the altercation I asked him to get out of my garage.
So... your point is that if you had applied oil to yourself and sealed yourself inside a PVC pipe, you wouldn't have gotten into the fight? Just trying to keep it on-topic, lol.
Old 01-18-2013, 4:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb58 View Post
So... your point is that if you had applied oil to yourself and sealed yourself inside a PVC pipe, you wouldn't have gotten into the fight? Just trying to keep it on-topic, lol.
Don't talk to him about oiling up and sliding in somewhere. He may get the wrong idea.
Old 01-18-2013, 5:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
On the other hand, I think this bit is probably true:

If you think it's time to start burying guns, it's time to dig them up.
that makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-18-2013, 5:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN View Post
I think it won't hurt if I combine all of the above suggestions, I can use my wife's Foodsaver thingy, vacuum seal it. then put it inside PVC pipe with dessicants. Then stuff the PVC pipe inside long wooden munition box.
Exactly what I did. I use Mobil 1 bearing grease, lubed up the rifle, threw a few desiccant bags and Oxygen absorber into a food vaccum bag and had the machine pull all the air out. Make sure its the heavy duty bags, the thinner bags punctures when it gets vacuumed up against any metal edges. I also threw in a few hundred rounds of ammo in the vacuum bagged rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
... I would put the barreled action, bolt, any other metal parts into a 6" PVC tube with a glued cap on one end. I would then fill the tube with synthetic motor oil, filled as full as I could. Then glue a cap on the other end. Then I would insert that sealed pipe into either an 8" or 10" PVC pipe with a glued cap on one end. I would then fill that tube with silica gel, put a PVC saw in it, and cap the other end with a gasketed screw on cap.

What do you guys think?
I like the idea of fully submersing the rifle in motor oil in a sealed tube, its a lot simpler and the PVC is stronger than the vacuum bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrock View Post
Don't talk to him about oiling up and sliding in somewhere. He may get the wrong idea.
Calguns is so entertaining lol
Old 01-18-2013, 6:38 PM

Thanks AZNWOLF118! Will PM WINGMAN31k.
Old 01-18-2013, 6:55 PM

FWIW I'd also venture that any kind of cap or seal will be a ***** to remove after a year or two and it will *not* be fun to dig the whole thing out.

I like the idea of a tube in a tube or something along those lines. I'd like to hear more about anybody with suggestions on where to bury one. Not everybody has a back yard

Thanks for the links , I'm checking them out now
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM

Personally I wouldn't bury it. I would keep at least one near me with ammo near it for defense and the rest would be locked up in a safe.
Old 01-19-2013, 6:43 AM

Actually the reason why I wanted to stash at least one of my firearms ( preferrably my stainless Ruger mini 14 with Hogue overmolded stock) in my BOL, is that I wanted something to have something to protect me and mine when SHTF, and I am away from my home and almost impossible to get there.
Old 01-19-2013, 9:51 AM

Just an idea:

When you are done burying and its time to throw camouflaging nails and things, do not just stand over the cache and throw it in a circle outward.

It seems that in the hypothetical scenario where someone would be searching for a cache, what they would learn to do is scan the area with a few man metal detector team and place stakes whenever they get a "beep" or hit. In a little while they will have a general circle then go to the middle of that circle and start digging.

Using that thought throw your nails and things tactically.
Old 01-19-2013, 9:52 AM

Just an idea:

When you are done burying and its time to throw camouflaging nails and things, do not just stand over the cache and throw it in a circle outward.

It seems that in the hypothetical scenario where someone would be searching for a cache, what they would learn to do is scan the area with a few man metal detector team and place stakes whenever they get a "beep" or hit. In a little while they will have a general circle then go to the middle of that circle and start digging.

Using that thought throw your nails and things tactically.

maybe even make the shape of a raised middle finger just for fun!

Last edited by TommyGun; 01-19-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1290 View Post
... I'd like to hear more about anybody with suggestions on where to bury one. Not everybody has a back yard
You can use mine.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-20-2013, 4:26 PM

Sorry, not good at posting links yet. Mylar bags before you put into the pvc. Had a number burried in a 55 gallon drum, 8' below surface for over 10 years. Came out in perfect condition. They were broken down, oiled, wrapped in wax paper, then in the mylar bags, moisture obsorbers, heat sealed, then in the 55 gallon drum.

[http://www.shop.optimumpreparedness....H12MGB60-2.htm
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoneedsafety? View Post
Maybe, but they need a warrant to enter my home. I have R-49 insulation in my attic, they don't own a metal detector big enough to find them.

I think the police arresting me, someone filing a report against me, or someone going to court would tip off they may be interested in my guns. In which case I take all my long arms, load them in my truck and park it in a trusted neighbor's drive way. Then I load my pistols into my safe, hide the key which de-activates the combo and claim it's empty.

Sounds like a great plan, and you got all your bases covered!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 PM

I am thinking about picking up one of these to package my handguns and ammo then place in a PVC pipe, don't think it would work to well for a long gun.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=9902
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Just Another Guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Owner_901 View Post
I am thinking about picking up one of these to package my handguns and ammo then place in a PVC pipe, don't think it would work to well for a long gun.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=9902
It actually works quite well. You can get rolls of pleated bags that will fit a full rifle. If you seal the bag on the moist setting, it won't puncture the bag. Throw in a couple of desiccant packs before sealing it and you're good to go.
Old 01-26-2013, 7:19 AM
Rebel Scum
CGN Contributor

Wherever you guys decide to bury your G&A, remember this:

Never ever ever ever ever ever EVER EVER bury your guns and ammo in your backyard. That's what your neighbor's backyard is for.

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 01-27-2013, 6:56 PM

Yes!!!! My next door neighbor a very good friend of mine is going to take a month vacation next month. Wink, wink wink!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Just found this
So, You Want to Bury Your Guns?
http://www.guns.com/2013/01/28/bury-your-guns/
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 01-29-2013, 9:06 PM

Thanks Tripper! So I am better off using Mylar instead of my wife's food saver.
Old 01-30-2013, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Both
Use the food saver to do the work, just on Mylar instead of the food saver bags
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 01-30-2013, 9:07 PM

Quote:
I think it won't hurt if I combine all of the above suggestions, I can use my wife's Foodsaver thingy, vacuum seal it. then put it inside PVC pipe with dessicants. Then stuff the PVC pipe inside long wooden munition box.
Don't make my mistake, put away the wife's foodsaver!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Dont forget to put the gun and mylar bag in the freezer for 3 days to kill all the bug larvae, before you bury it.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 PM

Default re: metal detecting threat

you guys mentioned scattering bits of metal around to discourage metal detector enthusiasts from finding your cache. I have a couple points to bring up about this. Current gen detectors can cancel out ferrous signals, the shot/washers/firearm, right? sounds like good news, but actually large ferrous targets can be picked up pretty deep and will override the cancelling setting. I strongly suggest bringing some thick rebar to bury as randomly as possible (without centering your stash) around your hole. After digging a few pieces of rusted rebar I would ignore any large targets, without it, in the middle of the forest i would totally dig out one massive anomalous target-and end up with your gun. On second thought maybe cable or chain would be better, i would assume there was some logging trash there.....

anyway, thats my two cents...
Old 02-04-2013, 7:31 AM

Liking the idea of the back wall of a closet or attic better then in the ground...

High and dry baby!
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-04-2013, 9:01 AM

Cut a rip of drywall out next to where your water pipes or plumbing is ran in the wall. Place item next to pipes oiled and bagged. Re drywall area. Item is now safe and dry for years to come and metal detectors will not notice an anomalie, just the pipes where they should be in the wall.
If burying in the earth. Try to bury as vertical as possible. Also dig at the edge of a thick concrete slab and get your item vertical underneath it. Most well poured slabs have rebar in it that would drive any metal detector insane. If you are really paranoid, throw down loose nails or steel bearings in all your surrounding soil. In a few month s all those decoys will naturally sink below the surface level.
In a truely free country we would still be able to keep our rifles in a beautiful hardwood cabinet with glass doors. If we taught our children not to play with them and gave them a good moral upbringing they would not need so many governing laws when they became adults.
Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM

Don't like the idea of having guns in the wall next to pipes. Too much heat change and sweat.

Back or side of a large closet and re-texture and paint it. You can store most AR based guns between the studs and you are good to go. Add a fire block between the studs and drill a hole and you have a rifle holder. Lots of room to stack mags and ammo also.
Old 02-04-2013, 6:42 PM

Make sure it's an AK !

When them sum bit*#@$ start droppin from the sky like in Red Dawn.... I'll be layun' right here. Poppin motherf*&%#@$. Pew.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Don't like the idea of having guns in the wall next to pipes. Too much heat change and sweat.

Back or side of a large closet and re-texture and paint it. You can store most AR based guns between the studs and you are good to go. Add a fire block between the studs and drill a hole and you have a rifle holder. Lots of room to stack mags and ammo also.
I like the hole in the fire block idea.
Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:52 PM

deleted

Last edited by iron cannon; 06-23-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post

Store ammo in same manner in seperate PVC pipe but leave out the oxygen absorbers. Not sure how the powder will react to a no oxygen environment for a long period of time.
it is already in no ox, if it were not sealed, powder would absord moister....
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Calguns Addict

This cache kept the stuff secret but not dry! Found in Israel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WLdHRkA5U

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 02-20-2013, 8:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
Bury deep or satellites can see the temperature differences. I know Customs finds drugs with thermal imagery. Anything that is nearer the surface and is not ground temperature can show up.
They actually can see "disturbed" dirt so making a hole is the problem. Make sure your hole is under trees or in a cave or maybe under a large rock.
Old 02-20-2013, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberger2_99 View Post
I do agree with the recommendations on prep to inhibit rust, however, you may want to consider not gluing the ends of the PVC. How will you open it when SHTF??

Rather, prep the firearm, and seal it up in a food saver bag (with a descant and O2 absorber). When you need it, you won't need tools to open the pipe, only a knife to cut the food saver bag.
Buddy I'm pretty sure the guy will have a saw next to his shovel when he starts digging.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Ok....a looonnngggg time ago I knew of a certain person...cough,cough....who's resemblance to me is purely coincidental...who went away...on "vacation" for a a couple of years.

Prior to his "vacation" he choice to bury some items for safe keeping until he could recover them when needed.

Lessons learned:

Deeper is better (this can apply to many things!...but I regress). Some of the storage tubes that where only a foot under the dirt sweated/condensated badly. Caused by temp fluctuations.
The items three to four feet down did not have this problem.

Any metal items....even stainless steel need to be covered in oil or grease then wrapped in plastic and placed in the storage tube (10" PVC is what was used).

Use LOTS of desiccant packs! They now have anti rust paper and "chips" (often seen in reloading dies) that I would look into as well.

Make sure you KNOW EXACTLY where you bury your stuff. LOL....trust me...being off by a few inches can cause panic! And even after just a year or two, things can look different when it is time to try and dig them up.

Good luck to you. I personally can understand the desire to want to have something put away "just in case".

A better solution IMHO is go out of town or out of state and rent a long term storage unit. DO NOT use a credit card to pay for it. A indoor one if preferable to outdoor ones for firearms.
DO NOT store inside rifle/gun case for any long term and again use lots of oil/anti rust products.

Along with a few guns and ammo you might stash some money, MRE's,etc. Chances are if you NEED to get to your guns in that type of situation, you will need food,water, and money as well.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.