Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

You know, let's not become instant fanboys of those sheriffs here.

I know some (sort of) shall-issue sheriffs who have been taking big money grants from the Feds, had their officers cross-deputized, and who are now busting pot grows with the DEA in Northern California.

If some federal or state confiscation scheme was to happen (although I find it highly unlikely, but who knows), they are NOT the people I would trust. Right now, many of them wouldn't want to do this kind of work, because it's one thing to bust a small or medium-sized pot grow (if it's a large cartel one, it will be CAMPed along with major DEA and state resources), but it would be another one to go after guys in remote locations who have a collection of ARs and AKs.
But who knows, maybe a fat ATF grant would motivate the sheriff to send his SWAT team with brand new toys, just so DiFi can sleep better at night.
Old 01-24-2013, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

If you are in range of Modesto's KFIV 1360 AM (and I once listened to that station all the way into Vallejo), the Stanislaus sheriff is on the radio right now and is making really good sense.

He may not be making sense by the time you tune in, but he's been great so far.
Old 01-24-2013, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

I also think the same way as the OP. The are hypocrits themselves. They played no part in helping us law abiders in fight off kommi's dumbsh>> laws. Those laws are just the same crap as what frankenstien and friends are up to now. It'll be a dream if all sheriffs in kommi decides to not enforce any of kommi's riduculous firearm laws atleast from now on to make up for the crap that they screwed up back then bigger brother not helping little brother out

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>

Last edited by m98; 01-24-2013 at 4:22 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 4:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Who is looking a gift horse in the mouth? I don't get excited about empty political posturing. I'll get excited when these sheriffs refuse to enforce unconstitutional gun bans already on the books and make getting a carry license fast and cheap.

Remember this? http://bcombs.net/wp-content/uploads...Ban-Policy.pdf

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
I'm just curious. . .

A lot of us are stomping on the sheriffs for agreeing with us? Would y'all be happier if they adopted a Kamala Harris persona?

You don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

And you don't punish people for supporting the RKBA.

Be as skeptical as you like, but thank them for their support.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-24-2013, 4:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm just curious. . .

A lot of us are stomping on the sheriffs for agreeing with us? Would y'all be happier if they adopted a Kamala Harris persona?

You don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

And you don't punish people for supporting the RKBA.

Be as skeptical as you like, but thank them for their support.
Hey, no sensible talk allowed in here! *****ing about Sheriffs/CA laws only!
Old 01-24-2013, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Who is looking a gift horse in the mouth? I don't get excited about empty political posturing. I'll get excited when these sheriffs refuse to enforce unconstitutional gun bans already on the books and make getting a carry license fast and cheap.

Remember this? http://bcombs.net/wp-content/uploads...Ban-Policy.pdf

-Brandon
Brandon:

I didn't think you were stomping on the sheriffs. IIRC, you expressed skepticism - and if not carried too far I've no problem with that.

And frankly, I'm kinda hoping we can go after Sheriff Christianson for the same reason we need to go after Sacramento.

As I noted, our sheriff was on the airways and making pretty good sense for a while. Then he said there was nothing he could do about the fact that if you started now you couldn't get a CCW until some time in 2014.

That's ridiculous/insane.

I appreciate aggressive skepticism, I just don't like people taking an at least somewhat positive move on the part of our sheriffs as an opportunity to revile them.

If you want some help going after our Stanislaus Sheriff over our ridiculous delay in issuing CCWs, let me know. I've limited time, but I may be able to make some things happen.

But I got my own CCW years ago so I can't help you by applying for one at this time.
Old 01-24-2013, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

did anyone notice how DiFi said she had the backing of Law Enforcement in today's dog and pony show? .. thats why we need these letters from our Elected L.E. ......
Old 01-24-2013, 4:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Gotcha, and thanks for clarifying. If you can help broker a meeting with the Sheriff, I'll be there.

-Brandon

Quote:
Brandon:

I didn't think you were stomping on the sheriffs. IIRC, you expressed skepticism - and if not carried too far I've no problem with that.

And frankly, I'm kinda hoping we can go after Sheriff Christianson for the same reason we need to go after Sacramento.

As I noted, our sheriff was on the airways and making pretty good sense for a while. Then he said there was nothing he could do about the fact that if you started now you couldn't get a CCW until some time in 2014.

That's ridiculous/insane.

I appreciate aggressive skepticism, I just don't like people taking an at least somewhat positive move on the part of our sheriffs as an opportunity to revile them.

If you want some help going after our Stanislaus Sheriff over our ridiculous delay in issuing CCWs, let me know. I've limited time, but I may be able to make some things happen.

But I got my own CCW years ago so I can't help you by applying for one at this time.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-24-2013, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Okay, what's the deal. I keep reading about these CA Sheriffs who are speaking out against Federal legislation on "unconstitutional gun control" and how they are not going to enforce these "unconstitutional" laws.

Am I the only one here that is going to call complete and utter BS on this?

While it can be viewed as a step in the right direction (I am certainly not going to cry out against such a claim to support the 2A), where have these Sheriffs been on all the gun control that has been passing left and right for 20 years in this God-Forsaken state? Why are they calling this proposed FEDERAL legislation, that is either less strict or the same than what we currently have now in CA, "unconstitutional", while not having said a word against the CA laws that are every bit as bad, or worse?

I dont know what this is, but deep down I think it is BS. I think it is ridiculous to give these sheriffs credit for talking out of one side of their mouth on taking a stand against unconstitutional federal gun control (of which I 100% agree), while continuing to enforce equally unconstitutional CA gun laws that blatantly go against the very beliefs they just claimed they stood for!

If they really wanted to take a stand against unconstitutional gun control measures, they would have never started enforcing it in the first place. Or at the very least, they would stop enforcement of CA's gun laws from here on out. I hope that this is just the "glass half empty" guy talking right now and that the sheriffs have truly changed their beliefs and will also stop enforcing CA's unconstitutional laws. But until this happens, I will continue on with a "yeah, whatever" kind of attitude towards LEO who say this stuff.

Sorry, not buying it (yet).

NOTE: Please dont take me for a LEO basher/hater. I have no problem with LE and rather appreciate most of what they do. What I have a problem with is the doublespeak and hypocritical "say one thing, do another" situations. If you're gonna be a true supporter of the 2A and uphold the oath you swore, OWN IT. Let your actions be as your words say.

[/SOAPBOX]

If I am out of line here and you think I have it wrong, please tell me. I'd love to be turned into a glass half full kind of guy in regards to what these sheriffs are saying.
1. Sheriffs are elected, not appointed. Consequently, most of what they say on any subject is politically driven.

2. There are a number of states that have a replica of the 2nd amendment in their state constitution. California is NOT one of them.
Old 01-24-2013, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Gotcha, and thanks for clarifying. If you can help broker a meeting with the Sheriff, I'll be there.

-Brandon
Perhaps we need to go to PMs. . .

I'll need things like an official reason for the appointment, time frames in which you can meet with him, whether you wish to have one or more others with you, etc.

I have no inside pull or influence, but I'll be happy to work the issue.

Edit: Ooops. . . IIRC, you do some e-mail but not PMs?

Last edited by OleCuss; 01-24-2013 at 5:11 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 5:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Email > PM. b c o m b s a t b c o m b s d o t n e t.

Quote:
Perhaps we need to go to PMs. . .

I'll need things like an official reason for the appointment, time frames in which you can meet with him, whether you wish to have one or more others with you, etc.

I have no inside pull or influence, but I'll be happy to work the issue.

Old 01-24-2013, 7:41 PM

Good God, some of you would whine about getting a blow job because the chick isn't putting out.

Are you getting everything you want from these Sheriffs? No.

Are you getting more than you were six weeks ago? Yes.

We start b*tching at these Sheriffs for not going all the way, we're gonna come off as ingrates, and they're gonna bounce; "No pleasing those gun bunnies, why bother trying!"
Old 01-24-2013, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinemedic View Post
Good God, some of you would whine about getting a blow job because the chick isn't putting out.

We start b*tching at these Sheriffs for not going all the way, we're gonna come off as ingrates, and they're gonna bounce; "No pleasing those gun bunnies, why bother trying!"
Good. Let those who are not adherents to the Constitution 'bounce' and abandon gun owners. If word gets around (especially for those rural counties listed) that they arent okay with average people owning the most popular rifles for self-defense, they will be purged in the next election in favor of real pro-gun law enforcement.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-24-2013, 8:35 PM
Banned

So would one of these sheriffs give me a CCW since I live in LA county ?
Old 01-24-2013, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howashooter View Post
Yeah, if you pack up your belongings and maintain your primary residence in the county of their jurisdiction, pass the background check, the interview process and jump through arbitrary hoops like provide proof that you have been a resident for more than a year. Sure. No problem.

I only kid a little bit. Carry licenses are only issued to residents of the county to which they are applying.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinemedic View Post

Gun owners are getting nothing. They still use their carry licensing policy to enforce their cronyism, and lording over their residents. Carry is a right. Period. Stating something that they had the power to do since 1997 is nothing new at all and nothing of benefit to us.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 01-24-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Placer County Being Called to the Carpet....

Placer County Statement on Facebook

If any of you have a Facebook account, I ask that you like postings by me, Luke Stone, Brandon Combs and a few others calling Sheriff Bonner & the PCSO out for their violative & illegal policies.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Yeah, if you pack up your belongings and maintain your primary residence in the county of their jurisdiction, pass the background check, the interview process and jump through arbitrary hoops like provide proof that you have been a resident for more than a year. Sure. No problem.

I only kid a little bit. Carry licenses are only issued to residents of the county to which they are applying.
Thats unfortunate.

I am moving to Montana.

I'll let California enjoy their own rules.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howashooter View Post
Probably not after they read some of your posts on CALGUNS.

The Sheriff in my county is pro-gun and has my vote regardless of who's CCW he chooses to approve or disapprove. (Law says its his discretion)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keoni_taylor View Post

The Sheriff in my county is pro-gun and has my vote regardless of who's CCW he chooses to approve or disapprove. (Law says its his discretion)
A sheriff is not pro-gun if "self defense" isn't good cause for his county. Period.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keoni_taylor View Post

Nice to know that gun rights don't really matter to you and that you're really more "pro-personality."

And people wonder why gun rights are so scarce around here.

-Brandon

Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Another sheriff I want to ask when gun owners can take the bullet buttons off and if he will protect gun owners from the CHP when kamala finds out.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keneva View Post
while Sheriff Mimm's appears to be progun, she admits it takes her office 10 months to issue a CCW/LTC permit? That's way too long.
Thats because theres only so many people to process the massive amount of people trying to get permits. And she is pro gun 100%! She has a stack of CCW apps in her car at all times to give out.

Name another sheriff in CA that does that.

Get in line and quit your *****in!
Old 01-25-2013, 3:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubmaster View Post
Thats because theres only so many people to process the massive amount of people trying to get permits. And she is pro gun 100%! She has a stack of CCW apps in her car at all times to give out.

Absolutely not. She charges $100 processing an application on top of the $95 CAL DOJ Fingerprinting fee. There is no reason she cannot hire additional people or temps to handle the workload, considering the state law requires that the "additional licensing fee" be used for processing applications exclusively. Centre County in Pennsylvania was able to turn around applications within 45 days, and that's at $20 a pop for a 5 year license. Florida has 1 million outstanding licenses, and never takes more than 60 days on paper fingerprinting apps (if you use livescan at the sheriff's offices or at the FDAC offices, it takes 2-3 weeks at the most). They charge $65 dollars plus $35-$45 in fingerprinting fees.

LiveScan results from CalDOJ at most takes a few days, rarely more than 2 weeks.

These sheriffs taking 10 months to a year doing applications are doing something wrong in processing, or else it wouldn't take that long at all.

There is absolutely no reason for it to take longer than the CALDOJ fingerprint response, plus NICS & CLETS check. Period.
Old 01-25-2013, 3:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you'd care to be objective, you'd see that the stack of application forms aren't really worth much when they don't get processed.

How can one be a "constitutional sheriff" and deny people their fundamental right for months, a year, or longer? The process, even California's, certainly does not require that.

If "theres only so many people to process the massive amount of people trying to get permits" then what are people paying $100 for?

Sorry, but that's not a Constitutional policy. It's not even right under California law.

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubmaster View Post

Old 01-25-2013, 3:37 AM
Calguns Addict

What Gray and Brandon said!

It is your right to keep and bear arms. You cannot be respecting that right if you routinely deny that right for any significant time period.

I understand the sheriff who believes they need to interview each and every applicant and who assesses their budget and does not choose to increase the resources devoted to ensuring your RKBA. But I do not at all excuse their blatant violation of your rights.

A felon gets more respect than do you, the law-abiding applicant for a CCW.
Old 01-25-2013, 4:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Sheriffs are mandated by state and federal law to provide timely and proper services, including civil process, jailing of criminals, security for courts, and other duties.

Some sheriffs believe that your rights can wait - while your life and those of your loved ones hang in the balance.

A real "constitutional sheriff" would take their Constitutional duty to uphold the people's rights protected under the Second Amendment as seriously as they do securing courtrooms.

There is ZERO reason that the California license to carry should take longer than it takes for DOJ to run the background check and transmit that report to the licensing authority. Any office that fails that test cannot be considered a "constitutional" anything.

-Brandon

Old 01-25-2013, 5:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sheriffs are mandated by state and federal law to provide timely and proper services, including civil process, jailing of criminals, security for courts, and other duties.

Some sheriffs believe that your rights can wait - while your life and those of your loved ones hang in the balance.

A real "constitutional sheriff" would take their Constitutional duty to uphold the people's rights protected under the Second Amendment as seriously as they do securing courtrooms.

There is ZERO reason that the California license to carry should take longer than it takes for DOJ to run the background check and transmit that report to the licensing authority. Any office that fails that test cannot be considered a "constitutional" anything.

-Brandon
Part of this was so good, I just had to make part of it my sig line.