Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-21-2013, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

But realistically, the first gun for anyone man or woman should be a full size revolver.. a 4" S&W 64 (38spl) I think is perfect for a first gun.. you can go a little heavier to a mod 19 or 66 (38SPL/357 mag). the heft of the gun will absorb the recoil, her choice of cocking the hammer back will acheive small groups thus adds confidence.. Not to be mistaking to get a snubby as those are reverse...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos View Post
But realistically, the first gun for anyone man or woman should be a full size revolver.. a 4" S&W 64 (38spl) I think is perfect for a first gun.. you can go a little heavier to a mod 19 or 66 (38SPL/357 mag). the heft of the gun will absorb the recoil, her choice of cocking the hammer back will acheive small groups thus adds confidence.. Not to be mistaking to get a snubby as those are reverse...
Maybe in your case, but I know of a woman who should NOT have a revolver. Her finger naturally went straight for the trigger. Could not get it to go up towards the frame. Too much of a risk for a new shooter to have a negligent discharge. No matter what we did, it was like a magnet!

So, that's why the one true answer to this question is 'it depends'! LOL!
Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-25-2013, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFord150 View Post
Bersa Thunder was a perfect choice until it recently dropped off the roster. I own one and have let many people try it out, most love it.
Maybe you can find a PP deal out there.
I have the Bersa Firestorm and I really like it. BUT, I made the mistake of buying it for the wife and , well, she doesn't like it. She has small hands and has a hard time racking it. I will let her choose her own auto from now on. She still likes her .38 special and will most likely stick with it. Oh well, now I have a pocket gun.
Old 01-25-2013, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Maybe in your case, but I know of a woman who should NOT have a revolver. Her finger naturally went straight for the trigger. Could not get it to go up towards the frame. Too much of a risk for a new shooter to have a negligent discharge. No matter what we did, it was like a magnet!

So, that's why the one true answer to this question is 'it depends'! LOL!
A trigger is a trigger, whether it is on an auto or revolver, the revolver first pull is double action, it takes more effort. During the heat of the moment with a confrontation with an attacker, she will have so much andrenalin it would not be difficult for her to take the shot
Old 01-25-2013, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I suggest you take her to the gun store and let her look at all the guns and maybe try them at a range that rents guns. Do you pick out her shoes and bras?
Old 01-25-2013, 4:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Take her to the range and let her try out different guns. Watch out thou, she might fell love with Glock