Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Anybody a Navy Recruiter?

All gay jokes aside, anyone here a Navy Recruiter? Had some questions. Pm is OK.

Sent from Obama's Mind
Old 01-01-2013, 2:44 PM

Not a recruiter but have some old buddies that are and can get some good info
HM3 John D. House, HN Aaron A. Kent, HM2 Cesar O. Baez, HM3 Travis Youngblood, HM3 Christopher W. Thompson, HM2 Allan M. Cundanga Espiritu (True Heros)
Old 01-02-2013, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Trying to figure out what kind of liquid soap to get for Navy BMT?

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)Glock 17
3)80% arms router jig for AR15
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 PM

I'm not a recruiter, but I'm active duty Navy. I work with three former recruiters. What do you want to know?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM

I was a Marine recruiter. If its a general enlistment question I might be able to help. But can't help you with branch specific stuff
Old 01-02-2013, 3:48 PM

The wife is, for Reserve doctors, dentists, and nurses. She's also the Division Officer for a bunch of enlisted folks, so she's got contacts. What are you looking to learn?
Old 01-03-2013, 8:27 PM
Bacon makes it better

I'm 31. Wondering if there's still a possibility to get in.
Also the website says that the navy won't allow you to join if you have more than 2 minor dependants. Is this a hard and fast rule? I have 3 small children.
Sent from Obama's Mind

Last edited by Baconator; 01-03-2013 at 8:30 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 6:21 AM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
You should be fine there... max age for non-prior service is either 34 or 35

Quote:
Also the website says that the navy won't allow you to join if you have more than 2 minor dependants. Is this a hard and fast rule? I have 3 small children.
Are you married? If so, you'll need a Dependency Waiver, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue to get cleared. You can be married with up to 4 dependents before you become ineligible for a waiver.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 01-04-2013, 6:47 AM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Haas View Post
You should be fine there... max age for non-prior service is either 34 or 35

Are you married? If so, you'll need a Dependency Waiver, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue to get cleared. You can be married with up to 4 dependents before you become ineligible for a waiver.
Yes I'm married. Does having a bachelor degree matter for the job I can choose?

Sent from Obama's Mind
Old 01-04-2013, 6:59 AM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes I'm married. Does having a bachelor degree matter for the job I can choose?
Then your kids are waiverable... it does require a higher-level signature though since you have 3, so if you get a recruiter who doesn't want to submit the waiver, you may have to shop around.

At a minimum, a Bachelor's Degree will bring you in as an E-3, and should help you to score higher on the ASVAB, which is what determines the ratings (jobs) you qualify for. Depending on your degree field and GPA, it might also make you a competitive candidate for Officer Candidate School.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 01-04-2013, 9:08 AM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Haas View Post
Then your kids are waiverable... it does require a higher-level signature though since you have 3, so if you get a recruiter who doesn't want to submit the waiver, you may have to shop around.

At a minimum, a Bachelor's Degree will bring you in as an E-3, and should help you to score higher on the ASVAB, which is what determines the ratings (jobs) you qualify for. Depending on your degree field and GPA, it might also make you a competitive candidate for Officer Candidate School.
Thanks

Sent from Obama's Mind
Old 01-04-2013, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Sent from Obama's Mind
Yes. You can get in at 31. If you pass the physical you will be good to go. Be prepared to take orders from a 19 year old if you come in though, that's just the way it is.

You can come in with 3 kids. There are waivers for waivers in the Military. Shop around for a recruiter that will help you. If you are having trouble getting in, volunteer for submarines. Doing so will get pretty much any recruiter to break his back to get you in.
Old 01-04-2013, 9:27 AM

What are your interests/reason for joining/what you want to get out of it/etc? Is it navy specific or just mil overall? I can tell you right now despite what the politicians claim we are undermanned right now and hurting for people. Ships are starting to do back to back deployments or extensions so if your looking for a rate that lets to spend time with the family it may be hard.
Old 01-04-2013, 9:42 AM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massan View Post
What are your interests/reason for joining/what you want to get out of it/etc? Is it navy specific or just mil overall? I can tell you right now despite what the politicians claim we are undermanned right now and hurting for people. Ships are starting to do back to back deployments or extensions so if your looking for a rate that lets to spend time with the family it may be hard.
My dad was in the Navy and I wish I would have had my head on right when I was 18 and joined up then. I realize my door is rapidly closing and the job market for my field, human resources, is over saturated. I figured I could give a few years and maybe learn something in the process. I feel like everyone should serve, and I've felt stronger about that as I've gotten older.

Sent from Obama's Mind
Old 01-04-2013, 9:47 AM

What do you want to do in the Navy? Any aviation rating will have terrible advancement. Same for Hospitalman, and the vast majority of surface ratings. If you want to make rate fast, go submarines, or special warfare.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper37 View Post
What do you want to do in the Navy? Any aviation rating will have terrible advancement. Same for Hospitalman, and the vast majority of surface ratings. If you want to make rate fast, go submarines, or special warfare.
I wasn't sure exactly, is there a place that lists all the jobs?

Sent from Obama's Mind
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM

http://www.navy.com/careers.html
Has most, if not all the jobs there.

Heres another:
Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtx2001 View Post
Hope this helps and remember.... If you meet a nice girl be good. If you can't be good, be safe. If you can't be safe, don't name it after me.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navynecs/a/necmenu.htm

AECF is a good field to get into if you got a head for electronics. Good retention and decent advancement rate. Kinda closed up now but you get automatic E4 out of school and E4-E5 is still open. E6 on the other hand...
Old 01-04-2013, 5:01 PM

AECF is a horrible way to go. They are beyond overmanned. We just got a former AT1 that was forced to rate convert to be a Submarine Radioman, or get kicked out.
Old 01-04-2013, 5:22 PM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper37 View Post
AECF is a horrible way to go. They are beyond overmanned. We just got a former AT1 that was forced to rate convert to be a Submarine Radioman, or get kicked out.
So what do you recommend?

Sent from Obama's Mind
Old 01-04-2013, 5:56 PM

Are you physically fit? If you are and you don't mind blood and guts, I would recommend Recon Corpsman (Recon Medic), they are hurting for people right now. If you are are pretty intelligent go Nuke.

The three main thing that will determine your job in the Navy is your, citizenship, fitness, and ASVAB scores. You did mention you have a degree, right? if this is a Bachelors Degree you can also apply for officer's program.
Old 01-04-2013, 6:36 PM
Banned

As an ex nuke MM1-(SS),

I hope you realize that submarine duty is very hard on families. Divorce rates are way over 50%, it takes a strong, self reliant woman to manage a family by herself for most of the time. If she has family near it helps but you get very little choice in locations as there are few submarine bases.

Wifezilla and I survived 11 years in the bubblehead Navy but it wasn't easy.
Old 01-04-2013, 7:24 PM

The best advice for you is to simply go and talk to a recruiter and get the fine details. Ask straight forward question s and expect the same in answers, even if they may not be the ones you want to hear. Honesty is the best policy but don't be suprised if there is a significant waiting period before you get in, ie. up to 18 months! With the bad economy, recruitment is way up and some aren't even wasting time going to high schools as there is a line out the door and down the street. Should you need to, look into the Reserves. Not quite active duty but better than nothing and we have educational and retirement benefits also. Good luck and keep us posted for assistance if needed.

MMCS

Genuine MMCS, Firefighter and father of two great kids!
Old 01-04-2013, 8:03 PM

What about the Army? I joined as an enlisted watercraft operator, and in 3.5 years I was a warrant officer. If your on the ball, the Army has many ways to advance. From CWO to ocs to artillery officer, to veterinarian. Nothing special about me, just worked hard and did what the Army asked of me and took advantage of what was opened and offered. My wife of 32+ years was even issued to me, she was a watercraft operator too. Retired at 26+ years and have a great career. Good luck and thanks for wanting to serve your country.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 01-04-2013, 8:58 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Two ratings to keep in mind if you want to avoid being on a ship are AC and Aircrew "Dry"... both come with auto-E-4 out of training... but both are overmanned/near-manned too though.
Old 01-05-2013, 9:03 AM

Quote:
So what do you recommend?

Sent from Obama's Mind
Are you smart? Be a Nuke. Great advancement up to MM/EM/ET2. Are you in good shape? Special warfare. Are you pretty average across the board? Get into some kind of "T" rate. ET/FT/ST/IC etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_Navy_ratings

Anytime a rating seems like it will be really awesome, it prolly is. It is also probably horribly overmanned and will have terrible advancement.

I'm a NAV-ET. Its a strange combination of ET, QM and IC, but the dysfunction is part of the fun!
Old 01-23-2013, 7:33 PM

Being an older and presumably more mature gentleman with a bachelor's I HIGHLY suggest submitting an OCS (Officer Candidate School) package. If for some reason you do decide to join enlisted for whatever reason focus on getting picked up. It'll be much easier for you having already earned your degree.

Another word of advice: avoid the surface Navy. I can't specifically comment on subsurface or special programs but I've deployed as an AT on a number of different types of surface ships and our lifestyle is immeasurably better. Anything "ship's company" is something to be avoided at all costs.

Best of luck out there.