Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-22-2013, 2:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Getting Home - A carrying question

For those that live far from where you work, and are planning to hoof it, ride a bike, or figure some other way to get home when disaster strikes and freeways are shutdown, how do you plan on carrying your sidearm/rifle/etc. that may be in your GHB?

I'm one of the unfortunately souls that commutes a ton, and while I have a GHB prepared, I'm still questioning exactly how I would carry if I had to put the pack on my back and start walking.

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2013, 2:45 PM

To do what you propose implies that you either keep "something" in your car or CCW - do you do either? Reason I ask is that there's about a million times greater likelihood that it'll get stolen before you ever use it for getting home... and if you CCW it's a non-issue since you're already concealled.

That said, keep it well hidden on you and no one will be the wiser.

Last edited by kb58; 01-22-2013 at 2:55 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 3:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What you're describing assumes that my GHB is in my car, or that it's not locked, unloaded, etc. in a secure spot if it is in my car.

That said, change the scenario to BOB, but you're still on foot. How are you carrying, or do you not care because SHTF?
Old 01-22-2013, 3:50 PM

4 me it is a non-issue.

unless i had a permit for concealed carry, It is too risky to carry one when I go to work/elsewhere. (exception range)

But if I knew a potential SHTF was imminent, I would prob carry a maxpedition type shoulder carry with room for pistol/mags and basic survival cr@p.
Old 01-22-2013, 5:42 PM

If that type of situation comes up, you'll want to have access to your weapon in the shortest amount of time with the best motion for your body. Personally, I like IWB but I also have a SOB holster. I purchased it first thinking it would be cool. The mechanics didn't work so well.

There are other things to consider as well. Do you carry extra mags? How about extra ammo? What type of neighborhoods will you have to travel through?

But for me, I can get away with carrying just a pocket knife.
Old 01-22-2013, 6:15 PM
Just Another Guy
CGN Contributor

I guess that depends on the situation. For most situations I can forsee, it'll stay in my bag. I'd only remove it if things looked like they were going to get bad. If I did switch to carring it on my person, it would have to be concealed. No point in screaming "look at me" if you don't need to.
Old 01-22-2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunninIt View Post
What you're describing assumes that my GHB is in my car, or that it's not locked, unloaded, etc. in a secure spot if it is in my car.
So you store it in your office at work? Does your boss know that? I guess I assumed that's not typical these days...

Whether it's secure and/or unloaded in the car or not, it's still a million times more likely to get stolen (along with the car) before a SHTF situation happens and you're walking home.

I've considered doing the same but decided that the day-to-day risks outweigh the advantages, but maybe that's just me.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:09 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Two issues:

1) In an emergency, I am not going to worry too much about being hassled on my way home if I think I am in peril, I will carry, permit or not.

2) If not an emergency, but had to carry my BOB/GHB because of some other problem, I would just keep it unloaded and locked in the gun-rug and keep that in the bag.

Long gun is another issue altogether and not in my BOB/GHB plans.
Old 01-22-2013, 8:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't carry. It's not in my car. It's not in my office. I don't have a CCW (I'm not that lucky). I do work and drive through some pretty iffy areas. Picture Long Beach through Compton, South Central, Downtown, or up the 110/710/105/91 corridors to get home to the Pasadena area. It's not something I'm happy with, but it's something I have to plan for. IF I decided to keep something in my car and in a pack, how would I deal with a situation getting home if I needed to...relative to carrying. Keep it locked, try and conceal carry, regardless, as someone else said? It's a tough situation.

If roads were impassable, I'd be on foot, and would have a long way to go to get home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-22-2013, 8:25 PM

Get a LTC so you can carry concealed. Otherwise LUCC might be an option. You can get a Bulldog Vault for your car so you don't have to worry about theft if you want to keep it in your vehicle. I use the Bulldog Vault bolted under my seat for when I go into work as there is a no weapons policy.

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-safes-bul...FeGDQgodzTMAEA
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If I did not have an LTC, I would risk the two misdemeanor charges (carrying loaded and concealed) if I were having to travel through what would basically be a distater area.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 PM

I'd risk it in a real shtf situation if I demed it nessecary. The protection of my family would be more important than the law. And in the situation I would deem it nessecary no lawman or woman would be able to help me. But in a more likely bug out situation my firearms would all be loaded in the car and the pistol would be in a case below my wife's feet for easy access without me having to stop worrying about driving
Old 01-23-2013, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
If I did not have an LTC, I would risk the two misdemeanor charges (carrying loaded and concealed) if I were having to travel through what would basically be a distater area.
This.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Default Be very careful

Quote:
With this as the DA can upgrade it to a felony at their discretion.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Get a LTC so you can carry concealed.
Why do people say this as though it is like buying a Coke?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetyme View Post
With this as the DA can upgrade it to a felony at their discretion.
While that is true, they usually use their discretion to up it to a felony when other crimes are involved. Probably not that likely in a situation like the Northridge earthquake, or the LA riots. Both good examples of SHTF.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 01-23-2013, 1:34 PM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Why do people say this as though it is like buying a Coke?
I know a parking lot where you can buy any public document or ID as well as coke... and lots of other drugs.
Old 01-23-2013, 1:44 PM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
While that is true, they usually use their discretion to up it to a felony when other crimes are involved. Probably not that likely in a situation like the Northridge earthquake, or the LA riots. Both good examples of SHTF.
My point exactly. In a legitimate SHTF situation where I have a reason to believe my safety is at risk, I am going to take my chances.
Old 01-23-2013, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunninIt View Post
For those that live far from where you work, and are planning to hoof it, ride a bike, or figure some other way to get home when disaster strikes and freeways are shutdown, how do you plan on carrying your sidearm/rifle/etc. that may be in your GHB?

I'm one of the unfortunately souls that commutes a ton, and while I have a GHB prepared, I'm still questioning exactly how I would carry if I had to put the pack on my back and start walking.

Thoughts?
In a "get home" scenario I will take my truck as far as possible, using a combination of experience and GPS to utilize alternate routes. Once that becomes unworkable, Shank's Mare is my ride.

The GHB pistol is already in it's CCW holster inside the bag, I would just put it on. Yes, that gun is on my carry permit. The holster is a leather IWB design with snaps. I have a few loaded mags for it there also. The GHB rifle (Kel-Tec Sub 2000 folder with Vortex Sparc red-dot) will remain folded, inside the bag, until needed. There are a few loaded mags for it in there as well. Fortunately the carry gun and the Sub 2k are chambered in the same round, and the carry pistol will take mags that fit the Sub, but not vice versa. (mag length issue). Once the Sub 2k is deployed, it has a single point sling. I don't plan to trudge around with it hanging out in the breeze unless it is a high-hostility area and the pros outweigh the cons. The plan is for the Subbie to stay stowed in the pack until I get pinned down and need a little more range and accuracy than I can manage with the pistol alone.

It would likely be a full day's walk for me to get home from work at a reasonably brisk pace. The pack is a bare-essentials rig assuming one will journey straight through, with the assumption that if an overnight stay is required it will be huddled in a doorway or under an overpass - no tent, no cooking pots & pans, and minimal gear. This is a dedicated GHB, not a fully-equipped BOB. I see there being a substantial difference between the two. One is light, built for speedy progress for a short length of time. The other is a deeper, more fully supplied pack anticipating a greater range of needs and a longer duration, such as an overland trek to a remote bug out location.

Just my personal "philosophies of use" for the two. YMMV
Old 01-23-2013, 3:07 PM

Having lived in LA for over 30 years, there have been quite a few instances where either the city as a whole has been shut down (earthquake, riots) or parts of the city where inaccessible (fires, local emergencies).

In all of this, the only time the city as a whole became a place where you would have feared for your life was during the '92 riots. During this time, you would have put yourself in quite a bit of danger had you been carrying a weapon. If the Police/National Guard stopped you or saw you with a weapon they would have arrested you or worse...you did not want to be on the streets. Also, keep in mind that the majority of violence was centered in specific areas, so unless you were looking for trouble, you could avoid the affected areas.

That said, your best bet is to be as inconspicuous as possible and not attract any attention to yourself with some huge BOB on your back. Yes, there may be looting, etc after a large scale disaster, but as history has shown...this occurs days after the event, not hours. If you can walk home within 12-18 hours I don't see any need for you to bring a sidearm. I would be more concerned with that sidearm being locked in the car and the car potentially be stolen, something happening during a traffic stop and/or a bad accident than the unlikely event that I will need to walk home from work.
Old 01-23-2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
The problem with this is that we're talking a "get home" situation. This boils down to having the firearm with you at all times (or left in the vehicle or the office) or not having one at all. I'm with those who won't have a firearm with me in a get-home situation. If there was enough warning that I might risk the misdemeanor and carry to the office or some event, that would be enough warning for me to not go in the first place.
Old 01-23-2013, 4:46 PM

I have found a way to use cables to run through the barrel of my 1911 and a 10/22 I keep in the truck at all times. Both are attatched through both the barrel and the trigger guard. They are locked to the underside of my rear seat. (yes..I hear all the comments about OPSEC) and while possible to cut and remove, I am confident it would take too long for a crook to do. It is taking a chance, but doing anything involves risk.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 01-26-2013, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a two part get home bag. One on me at most times like when Im at work or in wife's car. The other one in my car is bigger but not a three day type bag. I keep a side arm in there that is locked in a hardcase with mags ammo ammo apart from the gun. It would have to be EPIC for me to pull those out to get home. I MEAN near Walking Dead bad cause then I'd have to B-line it to my wife to find here before I get home.
Old 01-29-2013, 8:21 PM

Default More to Getting Home than Carrying

There is a lot more to consider in getting home than how you will carry your firearm, that is just one part of your complex problem.

The situations are endless as to what kind of BOB or GHB you would need, or if you would need a firearm or not or how you would carry it. If we are talking about a scenario where you have to walk home... Then the situation is extremely bad. This would mean that our infrastructure is badly damaged (is it just local or over a wide area). If it is local like the Riots, then you can get around it by car and it will just take longer to get home. If it is systemic, then we are in for a lot of problems. It just so happens with me that I would be stuck at work for a few days and would only be let go if we no longer had fuel, communications or could not make a difference in helping anyone in our community. We would be told to go home only when we would be ineffective, so the situation would be dire to say the least.

I happen to work 31 miles (by freeway) from home, so depending on my route and conditions, it can take me 2-4 days to get there. Also, if the problems are systemic and vehicles can't get around, then it will be hard for police and fire to get around also. Chaos will start to set in pretty quickly if this is the case, and being out on the streets will be dangerous.

So in my case, I will seek travel in areas where there is less people.
1. Using the LA river system
2. Areas under major Power Lines
3. Going to areas where there is hilly terrain (bike and hiking trails)
4. Using the freeways for foot travel can be very dangerous unless there is cover on the sides with trees/shrubs, etc.
5. Using Railroad tracks, because you can see people coming at you from a long distance. There are less surprises.

If the situation is as bad as this, then I would revert to my SERE (survival, evasion, resistance and escape) training that I got when I was in the service.

Always have some preplanned routes of how you think you may get home.
Travel in terrain that may be hard for others, it may be slower, but you are less likely to encounter people in those areas, and if you do, you should be able to deal with them hopefully.

Have enough supplies and gear to handle you in any weather. You can die from exposure quick, even here in Southern California if you are wet and it is real cold. Take the survival aspect out of getting home by being well prepared. Concentrate on getting home.

Avoid contact with anyone. Travel in difficult areas, at night is best, and especially very early in the morning. The key is to evade everyone, do not make contact. In this situation... you will have to quickly decide if someone is friend or foe. If you are traveling at night, more than likely they are foe. If you do make contact.. Your whole thought process is to fight to get away. Do not make a stand, constantly move.... If you have the opportunity, at least plan on a map your intended route(s). At least if you have a plan and have looked at on a map, it is a starting place. If you can survey it yourself, even better. None of us probably has the ability or time to walk it. But at least have a few routes, especially if you are able to get home partially by car. That route may be entirely different from the one if you had to walk directly from work. Stay flexible.

As far a weapons... This will have to be something that you will need to work on. You do not want people getting too close to you... A firearm, one that you are proficient with would be best. Or some other weapon where you can keep people at least an arms distance or better. A knife is good to have at all times, but I do not want to get that close to anyone to use it. A machete is a better stand off weapon and you can strap that to your pack.

The key is to not make contact, move fast, if you make contact, finish the situation, or get out of the area. Remember, your family is counting on you getting home to help them.

Having to travel home is probably the hardest thing you will have to do. You can be well prepared at home, but if you are not there, you have to get there. So I have a GHB that has 3 days of supplies in it, food, water, shelter, sleeping bag, foul weather gear, maps, compass, first Aid, tools, etc. I have prepared for the worst scenario and can always back off from that. My pack runs about 35 lbs and I have a pistol belt to go with it.

If the scenario is that bad, I will not be worried about concealed carry laws. I will avoid as many people as possible, engage only when necessary and hopefully make it home in time. If you are not threatened, it may be OK to have it put away, but if you feel threatened, then maybe it should be at the ready. Your situation should dictate that. Do not get stuck in a bad situation with your firearm tucked inside your pack.

Also, make sure your family can take care of themselves for the time it would take you to get home. That is another whole discussion in itself.

Last edited by hultgrenks; 01-30-2013 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: Updated
Old 01-29-2013, 8:50 PM

During SHTF, I dont care about carrying without CCW.

Carry it concealed, I'd rather have my pistol ready to be used during an event.

Get home as soon as possible, do not open carry. No reason to let everyone know you are armed.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM

The question was how do you plan on carrying your side arm.

I have a cheap IWB holster, to go with my cheap trunk gun. I also have a maxpedition holster/bag that comes with, so I can stick it in there or locked in my backpack. Gives me a few options for various situations.

I bought this pistol with the intention of keeping it in the trunk. To be honest I got pulled over on the way to the range last year, and after the cop went ape **** spazzed out when he heard there were guns in the trunk, salivating to find a reason to arrest me(middle aged, professional guy in an upscale car, not a gang banger LOL) I've been hesitant to drive routinely with one legally secured and locked in a case in the trunk. I've never been that close to being arrested before, and I didn't like it. (wanna lecture me on 'don't talk to cops'? you're speaking to the wrong guy).

In a SHTF situation, I could easily imagine that PO, well, doing anything. You don't think they're here to arrest criminals, do ya?!? Keep you safe? They're prison guards.

Anyway, I don't believe past history is an appropriate predictor of future events. We just had helicopters in 2 major cities this last weekend conducting unannounced exercises complete with firing blanks(acclimatization) so when the real thing happens we'll think it's a drill(like the drill running during 9/11 and sandy hook)

What I'm saying is, who knows what's coming.
Old 01-30-2013, 8:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Johnny, what caused the office to pull you over? Did you have your gun case and/or a bag in plain sight? Did he ask if you had a firearm in the car? Seems like an interesting traffic stop - or whatever...even if this is off my original topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD