Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Default Has anyone hunted Cache Creek Wilderness Area for pigs?

If so could you tell me about it? Are there decent numbers of pigs?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM

My buddy was hunting deer over there last year and shot a pig. So there are pigs around just gotta find them.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Boss man you have to get out there and scout the real estate. There is wild life out there, yet it is NOT easily found. LOTS (and I'm not exaggerating) of road hunters out en force during the respective seasons (deer, quail, turkey).

I would just say this - get out as far away from the hordes of yahoos and road hunters. Find share & water and you will find critters.

I passed on a small "legal" buck there during early archery 2 seasons back. Nice real estate, just really impacted with people.
Old 01-21-2013, 9:28 PM

I live on the lower portion of Cache Creek and there's pigs in my orchard every night. I've seen groups of 30-40 on our property. I travel up hwy 16 and hwy 20 often and always see them up there. Much of the terrain up in the canyons is pretty tough to hike.

There's more than enough pigs in this area it's just a matter of finding them and getting to them.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckingfuts View Post
I live on the lower portion of Cache Creek and there's pigs in my orchard every night. I've seen groups of 30-40 on our property. I travel up hwy 16 and hwy 20 often and always see them up there. Much of the terrain up in the canyons is pretty tough to hike.

There's more than enough pigs in this area it's just a matter of finding them and getting to them.

Thanks for the info nuckingfuts, really appreciate it!
Old 01-22-2013, 2:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckingfuts View Post

Are you in Rumsey or Capay? I don't find to many pigs in the Cache Creek wildlife area at all. I'm off the North fork CC and we only see pigs every few years.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:12 PM

I've seen sign up in the Indian Valley reservoir area up off of walker ridge road.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:51 PM

Albeit dated, the DFG guide to wild pig hunting says something about... although Cache Creek is good pig habitat, pigs have been rare or absent in recent years.

After making a number of general scouting trips (not specifically for pigs), but coming across no pig sign I would have had to agree. Then in December I saw fresh rooting under some oaks along highway 16, and what might have been a wallow. The rooting was only under a few trees on the BLM side near Bear Creek, with more going up the hill on the private land to the east side of 16 that burned last summer. So I'm guessing they came onto public land only as far as the creek but stick mostly to the private land.

Like others have said, it's a huge area, and if you get back far enough there are critters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (69.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (73.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (58.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 8:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intotheabyss View Post
Albeit dated, the DFG guide to wild pig hunting says something about... although Cache Creek is good pig habitat, pigs have been rare or absent in recent years.

After making a number of general scouting trips (not specifically for pigs), but coming across no pig sign I would have had to agree. Then in December I saw fresh rooting under some oaks along highway 16, and what might have been a wallow. The rooting was only under a few trees on the BLM side near Bear Creek, with more going up the hill on the private land to the east side of 16 that burned last summer. So I'm guessing they came onto public land only as far as the creek but stick mostly to the private land.

Like others have said, it's a huge area, and if you get back far enough there are critters.

You have to remember though
that during the winter months IF we get a little snow, the deer will root under oaks a little to get acorns from under the snow and leave what looks like a very small pig rooting
Old 01-22-2013, 8:18 PM

Thanks for the tip! It was early December and frosty, but not sure if there had been snow. This is my first season as a hunter and am still trying to make sense of everything.
Old 01-22-2013, 8:57 PM
Banned

Just looked at your pics and that is pig rooting. I travel that route 2 times a week and have never seen that. Is that across from cowboy camp on 16?
Old 01-22-2013, 9:08 PM

Yes the rooting was just south of cowboy camp, along the narrow strip between the the road and the creek. The wallow(?) looking puddle was farther up the canyon.