Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2013, 3:01 PM
jink122 jink122 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LA OC
Posts: 769
iTrader: 102 / 98%
Default Glock 17 GEN 4 issues - Solved... sort of

I have a Glock 17 Gen 4 which I bought off CalGuns brand new through a police officer who had purchased it. I quickly ran into issues where every expended cartridge flopped on my forearm or flew straight at my face.

I researched and found MANY Gen4 owners had this same issue. My Glock had the recently updated RSA(Recoil Spring Assembly) and the new ejector marked 30274. I did not have limp wrist grip when I shot it and I was using basic Federal 115 ammo. Not even Winchester White Box which seems to be the problem ammo for the Gen4. People kept telling me it was my grip.

I talked to Charlie Vanek of Vanek triggers who said that it was the RSA being too stiff and made for hotter loads. He advised to go with a single spring recoil assembly which I purchased but did not try out yet because I contacted Glock who's customer service replied back to me 3 days after I emailed them and they told me to send it in for RMA. I followed up with further questions and got no reply.

I wrapped my Glock in bubble wrap and sent it next day air on 12/31/12 and got it back 1/17/13. I was please to see they included a new case, cleaning brush, loader, and marketing material. From what I could see, it looks like they stripped the lower and replaced the RSA again. (I know this because I marked the RSA I had and my trigger pins were as well and those are gone) They don't tell you what they did, the paper work just says RMA "Upgrade." I left my 4.5 firing pin spring in when I sent it and they pulled that out and put it in a little zip lock for me and placed it in the box and replaced it with the factory one.

I took it to the range yesterday and fired 150 rounds. Prior to the RMA I had 1 in every 7 rounds hit me in the safety glasses and every 7 out of 10 rounds bounce off my forearm. Two rounds would eject away from me but with no force.

After the RMA, out of 150 rounds of Federal 115 I had a total of 6 rounds hit me in the face, 4 into my shoulder, and the rest ejected perfectly with force to my right. A big improvement from before but the 6 rounds that still hit my face concern me. Had I not been wearing glasses two of the rounds would have hit me square in the eye. One round got stuck between my hearing protection and head and burned my scalp. I am ok with this because the G17Gen4 is not my defense firearm. My 45 takes care of that, but it's still concerning because what if I am in a situation where I might need to use it?

I group about 1-1.5 inches at 7 yards. The series i shot after being hit in the face increased my group to 3-5 inches at 7 yards. It made me lose focus.

I will be hitting the range tomorrow with the single spring recoil assembly and will give more feedback.

For those who have problems, here are the fixes I have found online though I do not know how much success u will find with them:

1) Replace the recoil spring assembly to a single stage. U can get these on ebay. They also sell Gen 3 recoil spring adaptors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281018532336...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271100012243...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290830427306...84.m1423.l2649

2) Make sure the ejector is marked 30274

3) Get the Apex Extractor

4) Call Glock and get an RMA.

Hope this helps people as this took me a long time to really understand what was happening with my pistol.

It's a big improvement, not perfect, but I want this to function like my Gen3 so I have no worries. I will post an updated if the new RSA changed anything.

****Update****

When home and sadly the singe spring RSA was not in the mail. So I went to shoot anyway. I fired 200 rounds this time, zero hit my face, I had one flop on my forearm and one eject to the left, but the rest stayed clear of my face. I'm guessing the RSA just needed to smoothen out.

Last edited by jink122; 01-19-2013 at 4:17 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
trigger945's Avatar
trigger945 trigger945 is offline
Just Be Yourself
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burbank (So Cal)
Posts: 5,130
iTrader: 108 / 100%
Default

Thanks for this post. I have been searching for a Gen 4 G17 because I'm curious as to the difference from the Gen 3 G17. I've fired a Gen 4 G26 and loved it! I have a Gen 3 G17 and love it more now after replacing the guide rod to steel. I will check this post for update before pursuing my search for Gen 4.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2013, 9:14 AM
hiyabrad hiyabrad is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Behind Enemy Lines
Posts: 1,274
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Anyone else having Gen 4 issues?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2013, 9:24 AM
DCF DCF is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,013
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

I did with my gen 4 Glock 19. I had to contact a local Glock certified armorer to get the 30274 ejector and a new extractor for me from Glock. The armorer helped me installed the parts and I just put about 50 rounds yesterday. No more brass to my head during that 50 rounds.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Lumpia is sarap!'s Avatar
Lumpia is sarap! Lumpia is sarap! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bahay sa Los Angeles.
Posts: 2,098
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Wow, that sucks man. And I really feel for you: spending good money on a gun, especially a rare one in CA and getting these problems.

I got my G17Gen4 when they first came out, and I did have spent brass eject to my face but after 200+ rounds it just stopped. After that no problems; it functions as well as my other Gen3 Glocks. It has all the original parts in it (but I did have the two other replaced recoil spring and new ejector):

I still use the original recoil spring assembly.


In my opinion, we focus more on the problems than on the solutions. That's why we get more posts on Gen4 brass to the face, than boring reliable Glocks. They maybe isolated incidents, because maybe I'm that 1%. But I hope things work out for you.


If you want, we can compare our Glocks at the range to see if that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM
kristover72's Avatar
kristover72 kristover72 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 46
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Sorry to hear about your Glock. I have a 17, 26, 34, and 22 all in Gen4 and have had no troubles with them. I did have a 23, which was updated with the RSA, that would eject the rounds almost straight up but, fortunatley, at a slight angle and was never hit.

Good luck at the range.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 AM
jink122 jink122 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LA OC
Posts: 769
iTrader: 102 / 98%
Default

Seems like most of the issues are the RSA, it either needs to be broken in or replaced. I shot about 500 rounds on the stock RSA and I still had issues. The RMA fixed it for me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2013, 6:02 AM
Eddie916 Eddie916 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 248
iTrader: 4 / 75%
Default

So I didn't have any issues with my glock 17 gen 4... and it's an early production 2010 model.. it's all stock just lubed it up and that thing rocked away... ejecting about 3;30-4;00.... On the other hand i just bought a gen3 glock 29 and has tons of RSA recoil issues... I called Glock and they sent me a new RSA and it's all good...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2013, 7:48 AM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,035
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

From another post:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post




BTW, testing was cut short as it was 114 degrees that first day and the gun was too hot to hold.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

So many factors. Even lightening the trigger helps with ejection. Might be because you can hold the gun tighter while squeezing off a round
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,035
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
So many factors. Even lightening the trigger helps with ejection. Might be because you can hold the gun tighter while squeezing off a round

Uh what?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

Reread it maybe? It's in perfect English..

I put a ghost in it and had less erratic. Put the factory 5.5 back in it yesterday, bttf A LOT.. just some input from personal experience. Hope I didn't hurt ya butt
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,035
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
Reread it maybe? It's in perfect English..

I put a ghost in it and had less erratic. Put the factory 5.5 back in it yesterday, bttf A LOT.. just some input from personal experience. Hope I didn't hurt ya butt

I read it just fine, but there's no logical way for that to work. You might as well claim skittles keep you from limp wristing soo much.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

Skittles, not so much. But m&m's on the other hand..

In all seriousness though, it felt like I had to focus more on getting the trigger to break which lead me to have a weaker grip (having a tight grip while trying to break a slightly heavier trigger makes your aim unsteady, therefore heavy trigger = weaker grip so that you can hold the sights steady). It's not really up for debate whether a weak grip causes bttf, although this may NOT be the only cause. One hand shooting causes far more bttf. Just a theory.. I'm aware of the other "issues" like extractor/ejector/ejection port, but I think my theory may at least have some logic to it..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,035
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
Skittles, not so much. But m&m's on the other hand..

In all seriousness though, it felt like I had to focus more on getting the trigger to break which lead me to have a weaker grip (having a tight grip while trying to break a slightly heavier trigger makes your aim unsteady, therefore heavy trigger = weaker grip so that you can hold the sights steady).
It's not really up for debate whether a weak grip causes bttf, although this may NOT be the only cause. One hand shooting causes far more bttf. Just a theory.. I'm aware of the other "issues" like extractor/ejector/ejection port, but I think my theory may at least have some logic to it..

Sounds like some training would help you learn to shoot correctly first so that the placebo effect you're describing wouldn't be posted.

Plus you should learn the difference between grip and a limp wrist which have nothing to do with each other. You can squeeze the gun as hard as you can and still limp wrist.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

I wouldn't say they have Nothing to do with each other. I understand the difference you point out however. Do you still stand by your claim that my theory has zero logic? My training exceeds most and all my shots were still bullseyes, but the Fact is that I had more bttf with a stock connector. And I prefer stock connectors. If you're ever in south couty oc we can shoot
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,035
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
I wouldn't say they have Nothing to do with each other. I understand the difference you point out however. Do you still stand by your claim that my theory has zero logic? My training exceeds most and al my shots were will bullseyes, but the Fact is that I had more bttf with a stock connector. And I prefer stock connectors. If you're ever in south couty oc we can shoot

Yes, and your posts make you look like a young guy new to firearms. There's nothing wrong with that, we all were there at one time.

Please detail your training since you brought it up with certificates, challenge coins, videos etc...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

But yes, perhaps what I meant to say was

"In all seriousness though, it felt like I had to focus more on getting the trigger to break which lead me to have a LIMPER WRIST (having a STIFF WRIST while trying to break a slightly heavier trigger makes your aim unsteady, therefore heavy trigger = LIMPER WRIST so that you can hold the sights steady)"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

I will refrain from trying to help others as being called more or less an idiot for proposing a bttf theory is not what I'm here for. Happy shootin
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-22-2013, 1:03 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

g19, 5 rds, 10 yrds, on a bad day.

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-22-2013, 1:18 PM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,035
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Glocks are capable of one hole groups at 10 yards, thanks for the reminder.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-22-2013, 1:23 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

No problem

I really wanna like you, Shenaniguns. You seem knowledgeable and obviously share the same infatuation with Glocks as I do. I guess 'friendly' just isn't your thing. I still have faith in us though
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-22-2013, 1:29 PM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,035
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
No problem

I really wanna like you, Shenaniguns. You seem knowledgeable and obviously share the same infatuation with Glocks as I do. I guess 'friendly' just isn't your thing. I still have faith in us though

I'm friendly, but you got insulting after I just said "Uh what?."

Then your explanation does not logically make any sense, though you try real hard to fit the square block into the round hole. I'm not a Glock armorer but it doesn't take one to figure out that you're really stretching your argument.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-22-2013, 1:37 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

Perhaps what I'm trying to explain didn't translate well in writing. But remember my friend, it was simply a theory of mine; I wasn't trying to contribute to a scholarly journal.. Just wanted to add 2 cents that I haven't heard before since there obviously isn't a set-in-stone answer as to why Glocks bttf. I agree that I got a bit insulting and I apologize. I personally get quite offended when someone calls me a young new shooter that doesn't even know basic fundementals as if this person knows who I am. I will take it with a grain of salt next time
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-22-2013, 1:44 PM
Shenaniguns Shenaniguns is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in California?
Posts: 6,035
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
Perhaps what I'm trying to explain didn't translate well in writing. But remember my friend, it was simply a theory of mine; I wasn't trying to contribute to a scholarly journal.. Just wanted to add 2 cents that I haven't heard before since there obviously isn't a set-in-stone answer as to why Glocks bttf. I agree that I got a bit insulting and I apologize. I personally get quite offended when someone calls me a young new shooter that doesn't even know basic fundementals as if this person knows who I am. I will take it with a grain of salt next time


The way you explained things earlier makes you sound like a new shooter... You typed out that response, I didn't just make up my theory from no where.

And this is way off-topic so I'm not responding to your posts that are not in relation to Glock's extraction.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-22-2013, 3:16 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,130
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

K, well.. a lighter trigger may potentially help with BTTF extraction on Glocks.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-22-2013, 3:21 PM
M1NM's Avatar
M1NM M1NM is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Covina
Posts: 4,327
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Use the gangbanger horizontal hold - the brass will safely pass to your left
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-22-2013, 4:10 PM
INFAMOUS762X39's Avatar
INFAMOUS762X39 INFAMOUS762X39 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern San Andreas Fault
Posts: 1,436
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I had the same issue with my G19 Gen3, Constant BTTF.

I updated to the 30274 Ejector and #4 Non Dipped 9mm OEM Extractor myself. Still using the stock RSA, No more BTTF, ejects 4oclock all day for me.

What # is your extractor?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-22-2013, 4:10 PM
INFAMOUS762X39's Avatar
INFAMOUS762X39 INFAMOUS762X39 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern San Andreas Fault
Posts: 1,436
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

2x Post.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-22-2013, 9:53 PM
InterSpool InterSpool is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 42
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
g19, 5 rds, 10 yrds, on a bad day.

ohhh das nice


Secondly, brand new Gen 4 Glock 19 here which I have put only 100 rounds through but no issues with ejections although I did have a weird FTF. I put my G17 mag into my G19, released the slide, then removed the mag and put in a G19 mag, and for some reason after firing the first round the slide failed to push the round into battery. I have shot 2000 of the same ammo through my Gen 4 Glock 17 with zero failures. I am almost certain I misloaded the magazine. I do note that the G19 mags feel like you are pushing past the spring tension on the 10th round. Not that it is overly hard to get the 10th round in, but it feels like there is no spring resistance. I HATE CA 10 round mags.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:05 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.