Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-21-2013, 7:07 PM

Default Best Gunsmith for my python

Like the title says I need a gunsmith for my 81 colt python
It was firing awesome but now the timing is off. When I pull the trigger the bolt doesn't drop fast enough and locks the cylinder, if I cock the hammer it works better but I don't want to mess with it I know I can send it to colt but I'm curious if there is a local guy that tunes colts I'm in the la area. Anybody know someone good, thanks in advance
Old 01-21-2013, 7:11 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Les Pittman (562) 896-1498

Worked on mine and did a amazing job. Hell of a great guy too.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 01-22-2013, 9:24 AM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Alan Tanaka specializes in revolvers and 1911's.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam11 View Post
Like the title says I need a gunsmith for my 81 colt python
It was firing awesome but now the timing is off. When I pull the trigger the bolt doesn't drop fast enough and locks the cylinder, if I cock the hammer it works better but I don't want to mess with it I know I can send it to colt but I'm curious if there is a local guy that tunes colts I'm in the la area. Anybody know someone good, thanks in advance
Whoever does it make certain they know how to work on the old Colts - the Python, OM Trooper and D frames, New Service. Colts aren't Smiths, they can be a PITA to work with. If a gunsmith has done them before and gets good recomendations that's great info.

The general reason as to why this happens is that your hand is moving the cylinder before the cylinder bolt is pulled down from the bolt cuts in the cylinder. The hand rides on the trigger and that's why it binds in DA mode but not SA mode - the hand gets into action just a touch sooner in DA than SA mode.

The bolt or lifter in the rebound lever wearing first is a bit unusual, I think, given that older model Colt hands tend to be the first part to wear a bit. Has the hand been recently replaced?

If you're lucky it may be that the screw retaining the cylinder bolt has loosened, allowing its back end to stray from the lifter in the rebound lever. See the schematic here:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...tm?results=All

Item #36 works loose, the back end of #34 misses the lifter on #37.

I think before shipping it off or having work done a good cleaning & making sure everything is socked down tight would be best. It does sound like a part is worn, but a detailed cleaning might work.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Colt didn't take too long when the had to time my Anaconda. And it was free.