Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-18-2013, 9:51 AM

Valkyrie was willing to do a DE in 50AE before they went belly up so hopefully somebody else will be too.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

The issue with micro/baby eagles is demand. People discuss wanting them, but then when it comes time to put together a group order to justify the work for the shop it inevitably falls through. If you want one bad enough, you could eat the up front costs and take one for the team.
Old 01-18-2013, 5:48 PM

What work needs to be completed on these Desert Eagles? Isn't as easy as blocking the magazine into a sled?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

The full sized ones? A sled and way to fix the sled. The micro/baby eagles are more involved.
Old 01-21-2013, 7:26 PM

I've been searching for for info on this single shot thing, and still don't understand what exactly it is. Why would a SA handgun be required to fire only one shot (or am I totally misunderstanding this?)? I have an M&P 9c and a Sig SP2022 that I bought out of state (legally). What exactly needs to be done to them when I bring them to CA? I've already got a 10 round mag for the sig, and working on finding some for the M&P before I bring them to CA.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
I've been searching for for info on this single shot thing, and still don't understand what exactly it is. Why would a SA handgun be required to fire only one shot (or am I totally misunderstanding this?)? I have an M&P 9c and a Sig SP2022 that I bought out of state (legally). What exactly needs to be done to them when I bring them to CA? I've already got a 10 round mag for the sig, and working on finding some for the M&P before I bring them to CA.
Nothing at all you already own them when you move here. The only thing you have to do is fill out and send in the new resident handgun registration form. Hopefully someone will post a link for it for you.
Old 01-22-2013, 6:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
Nothing at all you already own them when you move here. The only thing you have to do is fill out and send in the new resident handgun registration form. Hopefully someone will post a link for it for you.
Rad is correct. The SSE is only a way for CA to comply with CA law as written to be able to buy certain firearms; those not listed on the roster.

As a new resident you may bring in any firearm you own so long as you don't violate any CA law by doing so. No AW and no magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

As a new resident you are required to give to the police, sell to a CA resident or register your handguns; and come 01.01.2014 your long guns too, within 60 of when the firearm comes into CA.

This is the form you will need to register your handguns.
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd.../ab991frm.pdf?

WTB: Double Action Revolver in .327 Federal Magnum

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 02-03-2013, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Digital Instincts in Sunnyvale has been added to the list of dealers willing to transfer exempted guns. They may be doing in house conversions in the future.
Old 02-03-2013, 2:18 PM

Default Beretta 96A1 Single Shot Mod?

Does anyone know if the Single Shot mod can be done to a Beretta 96A1?
If so are the parts readily available and from where? Also wanted to ask, on the ca Roster of certified handguns, it shows a 96/steel,alloy with a 4.9" barrel. Would this not include the 96A1? I don't think Beretta makes a plain model 96 with no other designation.

Last edited by rlove56; 02-03-2013 at 3:05 PM..
Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

It can be done - not sure if any shops are currently doing it. Parts probably have to be fabricated.
Old 02-09-2013, 8:46 PM

I want to get one of the new off-roster RIA tactical models. Anyone have an out of state source who will SSE it? Should I ask this in the Calguns handgun section?
Old 02-09-2013, 8:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktickle View Post
I want to get one of the new off-roster RIA tactical models. Anyone have an out of state source who will SSE it? Should I ask this in the Calguns handgun section?
If you really want one, buy a 16" barrel and cut it down. Install the barrel link and pin and your ready to go with only a sled mag.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:19 AM

I am sse a handgun soon. Talked to table rock arms and arranged with him for the sse l but who has the best rate for the transfers. I'm in Lancaster and am seeing who can handle the ffl at a good price. Ebr works told me 100 just for the out of state transfer but it seems high. A local ffl (can't do sse) only charges 75 including d'ros so I am looking for the best deal. Please anyone who can help or has done one chime in. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2013, 6:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Just to clarify, we charge $55 + tax/DROS for transfers that are already SSE compliant from another dealer like Ryan. If we do the SSE, it's $99 + tax/DROS.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 02-10-2013, 7:58 AM

Dam. That's competitive pricing right there. My apologies and Ebr I will be in touch with you as soon as I know its on its way to Ryan. I apologize for my misunderstanding and thank you for the prompt reply
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Help me! As usual I'm running on not enough sleep. If I keep trying to read all the way through this thread I'll compound the problem.

1. In general with a full size 1911 What length barrel would I want to have to achieve the required overall length for SSE?

2. Where would be the best place to purchase a barrel of that length strictly for doing SSE on full size 1911s? Is it possible to buy a barrel that already has a link on it? I would just grind on it anywhere necessary to make it a sure fit on all 1911s.

I think I can spend a few minutes in my cave and come up with sled/zero round fixed mag. Thanks in advance for not scolding me about my poor search capabilities I did a SSE with EBR and it was a smooth operation but I would like to be able to ship the necessary barrel etc. to somebody out of state so they can ship the 1911 to a local FFL that is on board with this concept.

Thanks, Bob
Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8I9pLmuyyA
Old 02-14-2013, 6:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
Help me! As usual I'm running on not enough sleep. If I keep trying to read all the way through this thread I'll compound the problem.

1. In general with a full size 1911 What length barrel would I want to have to achieve the required overall length for SSE?

2. Where would be the best place to purchase a barrel of that length strictly for doing SSE on full size 1911s? Is it possible to buy a barrel that already has a link on it? I would just grind on it anywhere necessary to make it a sure fit on all 1911s.

I think I can spend a few minutes in my cave and come up with sled/zero round fixed mag. Thanks in advance for not scolding me about my poor search capabilities I did a SSE with EBR and it was a smooth operation but I would like to be able to ship the necessary barrel etc. to somebody out of state so they can ship the 1911 to a local FFL that is on board with this concept.

Thanks, Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Per 12133PC, certain handguns are Roster-exempt. These include:
Single-action Revolvers, capable of holding 5 or more rounds, with 3” minimum barrel length and 7.5”
minimum
overall length when assembled.

Single-shot Pistols,
with 6” minimum barrel length, and a minimum overall length of 10.5” when assembled.

(lengths measured parallel to bore)
[Some folks casually and mistakenly conflate categories: there's simply NO “single-action exemption” - otherwise all 1911s & Browning Hi-Power pistols would be automagically Roster-exempt! The single-action revolver exemption applies to revolvers only. Similarly, there’s no “single-shot revolver” exemption either!]
[FONT=Arial]
Handguns not ordinarily considered single-action revolvers nor single-shot pistols may be converted to such status for regular resale by CA FFLs as 12133PC Roster-exempt handguns.
As per Colt's website a standard 1911 Gov Model has a 5" Barrel and an OAL of 8.5".

You need to gain 2' in OAL to meet the min OAL of a SSE pistol. The shortest barrel you could use is a 7". Sarco carries them but are out of stock on the .45ACP model right now. They don't come with the link and I don't know of anyone that sells a long barrel with the link installed already.

The last piece of the puzzle is a long screw used to replace on of the grip screws. This will lock your "0" round sled into place and complete your SSE 1911 pistol.

Have fun shopping and be sure to share the names of any OOS dealers that are willing to do this for you so that others can get fun stuff too.

Jesse

Old 02-15-2013, 5:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks very much Jesse. Would you happen to know what the threads are on a grip screw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
As per Colt's website a standard 1911 Gov Model has a 5" Barrel and an OAL of 8.5".

You need to gain 2' in OAL to meet the min OAL of a SSE pistol. The shortest barrel you could use is a 7". Sarco carries them but are out of stock on the .45ACP model right now. They don't come with the link and I don't know of anyone that sells a long barrel with the link installed already.

The last piece of the puzzle is a long screw used to replace on of the grip screws. This will lock your "0" round sled into place and complete your SSE 1911 pistol.

Have fun shopping and be sure to share the names of any OOS dealers that are willing to do this for you so that others can get fun stuff too.

Jesse
Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8I9pLmuyyA
Old 02-15-2013, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
Thanks very much Jesse. Would you happen to know what the threads are on a grip screw?
Small.

I see you are in the OC. On a Saturday take a drive to Covina. There is a shop there the sells all kinds of bolts, nuts, screws, etc. I can't remember the name of the store but I know where it is.

Go North on the 57 to the 10. Take the 10 West to Grand Ave. Exit Grand Ave and go North. And, if I remember correctly it is between Cypress and Cienega on the right hand side of the road.

Take one of your grip screws with you and ask them for a "set screw" with those threads and a little longer. They are about .40 cents each.

Old 02-19-2013, 7:14 PM

I read the first few pages of this thread and then jumped to the end.

I am getting more comfortable with the whole sse thing - but would feel much better if I could beat the dead horse just one more time - maybe to make sure laws etc haven't changed since the opening of the thread.

I would like to purchase a XDS .45 from gun broker.
I would like to ship it to this place as my ffl and for the sse: http://www.directactionsolutions.net/
Once all the waiting is over - then I can legally have a fully functional semi-auto 5 round XDS?
I don't need to do any reverse engineering from the single shot set up myself in the dark of night, in the corner of my garage?

Thanks for any specifics and giving me that push I need to proceed.

NO ISSUE / MAY ISSUE / SHALL ISSUE - LTC progress over time since 1986

Old 02-19-2013, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

Yes...
Old 02-20-2013, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Please do let me know when shops change information. I can't keep up with every shop's phone number changes / moves / website changes / etc. While I would love to have a detailed list of every single type of gun each shop is able to convert, very few (exactly 2) owners have been pro-active about keeping me up to date with their capabilities. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2013, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJoke View Post
I would like to ship it to this place as my ffl and for the sse: http://www.directactionsolutions.net/
Not familiar with that shop; you'll need to confirm with them that they have the SSE parts to convert your weapon once it arrives at their shop. If they do, you're good to go.

Then once you take receipt of your new handgun, you'll convert it back and return the SSE parts to your gun shop.
Old 02-21-2013, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Since I have no shops nearby that want to help, which one can help me remotely, ship to my local FFL? I want a new PPK .22, and Lock & Load in Lompoc has not returned a single phone call.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:26 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe Tracy Rifle and Pistol. Otherwise, try Ryan @ Table Rock Arms.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:36 PM

+1 for Ryan @ Table Rock Arms
Old 02-24-2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artema View Post
Since I have no shops nearby that want to help, which one can help me remotely, ship to my local FFL? I want a new PPK .22, and Lock & Load in Lompoc has not returned a single phone call.
PPK .22 not going to be easy. I wont say it is impossible but it would more than likely be much more work that it would be worth.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

I had to look that up. Thank you!
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM

I recently picked up a SSE 1911. I'm pretty sure the shop is doing it wrong. This may have been an isolated incident as this was one of many guns that I had in a holding pattern, but I believe this is how they normally do SSE based on conversations I heard in the shop before (but didn't realize at the time what was being said).

I went to pick up my pistol after the ten day wait. They brought it out, looked at the tag, saw it was an SSE, and said they needed to convert it in the back room. At this point it was in its case. The case was closed normally. The case is not big enough to close with an SSE pistol in it. 15 minutes later they came back with it I SSE configuration (case now held closed by rubber bands with barrel sticking out). We did the take possession, go outside, change my mind about original parts dance and then they converted it back to stock configuration.

I thought it had to be in SSE config before the DROS all the way until after pick up. Assuming that is the case, do I try to enlighten them next time I go in, or do I just let it go since they are likely to believe their own FUD? I'm pretty sure they would raise their SSE fee as they wouldn't be able to perform them as often (or would have to buy more parts), but I'd rather not see them out of business.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

It should remain in exempt form during the entire 10 day wait period. They cannot be cycling the same parts around from gun to gun only during pickup.
Old 02-25-2013, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc Wid It View Post
It should remain in exempt form during the entire 10 day wait period. They cannot be cycling the same parts around from gun to gun only during pickup.
That's what I thought, now I'm just trying to decide if I should bother trying to tell them they are doing it wrong.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I heard a few guys say Ryan @ Table Rock is no longer doing SSE. he took a break and is back. TRA is the best!

FOR SALE 9mm FMJ ammo 1000 rounds
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1142181

FS - Remington Versa Max Tactical Fore end with quick connect for sling
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1124354
Old 02-26-2013, 1:22 PM
GM of Inconsistency
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
I heard a few guys say Ryan @ Table Rock is no longer doing SSE. he took a break and is back. TRA is the best!
I agree Ryan @ Table Rock has never failed me ...
July to Dec 2014 Videos:
CLICK HERE!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
That's what I thought, now I'm just trying to decide if I should bother trying to tell them they are doing it wrong.
I believe he was taking a break, but is back now, so you might want to check.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default SSE

pleas add me to the SSE list.

PD Gun Supply &Tool Inc.
2053 Glenoaks Blvd.
San Fernando Ca 91340
818 322 4585

Dmitry

thanks

Hours: 12-7 Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, 12-6 Friday & Saturday 12-5.

Shop #818 322 4585 cell #818 674 6744 txt OK!
Check us out on face book, P.D. gun supply & tool: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...25241227519243

Email: dmitry@pdgun.com

WWW.pdgun.com
Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM

EBR Works has changed their prices.

Quote:
SSE conversion/Transfer: $149 + $25 DROS + CA Use Tax on value of firearm and shipping charges for firearms purchased outside of California.
Source: http://www.ebrwebstore.com/sse-sales...ler-transfers/

Probably because of:
Quote:
This bill as revised on 03/04/13 will ban all future SSE transfers and conversions in CA when passed (see section 2):

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...201320140AB169
Source: http://www.ebrwebstore.com/
Old 03-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenny View Post
EBR Works has changed their prices.

Source: http://www.ebrwebstore.com/sse-sales...ler-transfers/

Probably because of:

Source: http://www.ebrwebstore.com/
Yep. 10 months and counting until the apparent end of SSE. Transfers completed by the enactment date (01/01/14) will remain legal. Get them while you can!

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ

Last edited by EBR Works; 03-06-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

EBR's info has been amended. PD Gun Supply has been added.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM

I am sorry, after reading through the thread I do not see a specific dealer that will do a SSE for a CZ SP-01 Shadow. Did I miss a post from someone?

Only place that I can 100% confirm is O.C. Armory in LA. But I am in Sacramento so that is quite a drive to do twice.

Any help?

I apologize in advance if I missed a post on it already.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLoc View Post
I am sorry, after reading through the thread I do not see a specific dealer that will do a SSE for a CZ SP-01 Shadow. Did I miss a post from someone?

Only place that I can 100% confirm is O.C. Armory in LA. But I am in Sacramento so that is quite a drive to do twice.

Any help?

I apologize in advance if I missed a post on it already.
Call up Wild Bills and SBR and ask them if they have the necessary parts for an SP01 Shadow.